Adventurewriter 23-Jun-18
JL 23-Jun-18
ryanrc 23-Jun-18
Adventurewriter 23-Jun-18
Jims 24-Jun-18
DL 24-Jun-18
Adventurewriter 25-Jun-18
21-Jun-18
I was talking to a crusty old outfitter whose face lit up when he told me this. I was talking about crawling around trying to get close to Pronghorns in the flat...very little foliage eastern Colorado land I can hunt on. He said " I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it...a client unfolded a reflective...you know kind of a mirror blind this guy had made to walk behind... I said what the hell are you going to do with that...and he said walk out there and kill that buck that was standing out in a wide open vast flat....well GD is he did'nt..shaking his head...

Any experiences???

21-Jun-18
I’ve had excellent luck with them on deer.

21-Jun-18
I have a Ghost Blind and it works great on field edges and open grassland. I could definitely see it working in a spot and stalk situation.

21-Jun-18
Curious about them being used with movement...I know old timer duck hunters use to put mirrors on the front of some stalking boats.....seem like if you angled them slightly downward to pick up the ground and not 'sky to ground" creating something weird looking it should work great...think I gonna make one...

21-Jun-18
The biggest problem I had with mine is that when it's really windy it wants to shake like crazy. Make sure you keep it angled down and it should work great.

21-Jun-18
Yep and it always seem to be blowing in pronghorn Country... I am going to make some blow through hinged panels to give it a bit of release....

21-Jun-18
Adventurewriter. please share with us how that works out when you get in some windy conditions. I really like the concept but trying to hold it from blowing over while drawing a bow could have its challenges.

21-Jun-18
I am thinking some sort of spikes you can heel into the ground....also it could be used to cover and open are to an area you can stalk from better,,,

21-Jun-18
I've used ghost blinds several times for gobbler hunting. I've had mixed results. If there is any kind of dew/frost they don't reflect. In high wind they are nearly useless. They don't offer much are to hide behind. On a positive note they blend in incredibly to the right surroundings. I've had hens come up close to the mirror blind (2 to 3') and purr at their reflection!

You may want to consider some sort of stand rather than stakes. A lot of antelope country is super rocky and it may be impossible to get stakes into the ground. You can also crawl behind a mirror on a stand and slide it in front of you on stalks. I would recommend knee pads or you may be pulling cacti out of your knees and butt!

21-Jun-18
Jims I had had mixed results with all of it...Cow blind profile they run like hell...antelope decoy mixed bag...so we will see I will make one and give it a shot!!!

23-Jun-18
Actually kind of surprises me it doesn't seem like more people have tried this application... love trying new stuff got a feeling it will be a mixed bag of results....

23-Jun-18
One way to make one....

23-Jun-18
Put a frame and wheels on it and wheel it toward the animal

23-Jun-18
Jl thanks I actually saw this one...the one I am going to build is going to be moveable...light usable... ryan no rolling anything much over any country I am use to...it has to be carryable there was a comment earlier...bet if you got close and dropped the blind and right behind it was you and one of the decoy bow shield. I have spent lots of time around pronghorns and if you confuse/surprise them close usually they linger for 3-5 seconds trying to figure out what it is before leaving...enough time to draw and shoot if your ready

24-Jun-18
The wind tends to howl in antelope country so be prepared for that with any type of blind or shield. You may want to have a plan B on windy days!

24-Jun-18
I just got a Montana decoy. I have two big gentle labs. It fooled them. They started growling as soon as they saw it. Something they never do. Now I’ll see if rarely hunted California Antelope are easily fooled.

25-Jun-18
Jim I know about pronghorn wind all too well it can be Biblical!!!! just looking for another tool in the toolbox

• Sitka Gear