lewis 28-Jun-18
Boris 28-Jun-18
Jaquomo 28-Jun-18
wtbowhtr 29-Jun-18
jmarsha5 22-Aug-19
Jaquomo 22-Aug-19
bowhunter24 22-Aug-19
21-Jun-18
What knee support sleeve and/or brace do you wear or recommend for humping up and down the mountains during elk season?

21-Jun-18
last year i had to have meniscus surgery on my left knee. i was going on my first elk hunt so the doctor had me to wear a brace that limited the range of movement so i would go too far forward or backwards. since my knee has recovered all it's going to. now i wear a CopperFit sleeve when i'm going to be active (gym, hunting, work,etc) . the compression makes it feel better but i still watch what i do. the sleeve isnt going to protect my knee like that brace would. as far as the sleeve, i dont think brand really matters but the comfort does.

21-Jun-18
I use a pull on sleeve vrs a Velcro. Try and find one that fits tight. It's annoying as hell at first but you'll get used to it. I've elk hunted three times with a torn ACL, just gotta be careful. Getting ACL fixed next month

21-Jun-18
A good neoprene sleeve works fine. Don't get the one with the hole in the knee imo. You will sweat under it but it keeps your knee warm and that makes a difference.

21-Jun-18
Mcdavid is the one I'm using now

21-Jun-18

wilbur's Link
Have a bunch of knee braces. This one is the best.

21-Jun-18

kota-man's Link
For serious stuff, you may want a fitted Don Joy brace immediately after surgery. Here's a brace sold by Kennetrek I've been using long after a couple knee surgery's for a little support and compression when a serious brace isn't needed.

21-Jun-18
No longer chase Elk but use a slip on + a Velcro over it..

21-Jun-18
Thank you all for your input. I too am in the market for support. Mike

21-Jun-18

21-Jun-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
McDavid knee sleeves

21-Jun-18
kota-man x2, been using a brace ( from special made to commercial) for many years when in the rough stuff and make sure you have good lateral support. A brace can weaken the knee with continue use, just wear it when you absolutely have to.

21-Jun-18
X2 on the McDavids. Changed my life.

21-Jun-18
I use the same ones that Paul and Lou use (McDavids) Game changer for bad knees in the mountains and they are only about $20 at Academy Sports.

-Mitch

22-Jun-18
Thanks guys, I just had surgery for a torn meniscus 5 weeks ago so I might be in the market for a good brace too...

22-Jun-18
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the McDavids will work for me.

24-Jun-18
Are those level one or level two knee sleeves Paul or Lou Thanks Lewis

24-Jun-18
I’m having a hard time understanding why someone would need a brace after a torn meniscus. ACL or other ligament okay, but not a meniscus....

25-Jun-18
lewis, please define what you mean , "level one or level two knee sleeves".

25-Jun-18
Lewis, did some research. Yes, Level one, ie, for prevention or for light straining issues. Level two is for a higher level of injury. Not sure if these sleeves are considered a "brace", as stated by Tilzbow

25-Jun-18
Tilzbow, A neoprene sleeve is not really a brace, but can provide compression and warmth, both of which can help with any knee problems. They are not a true lateral support brace, like the Don Joys, but they help a little. I have had torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees. I used the neoprene style for many years, Now I have two total replacements and I haven't worn any kind of braces for 8 years, but they are starting to ache again and I may go to the neoprene again. They can also help when kneeling, which is not fun on metal knees.

25-Jun-18
My old catcher knees are limping along. I use side support braces with metal hinges on both knees. The braces work fine when it is cold. When above 65 they get hot. Climbing up and down are not the problem it is the dead falls that are the worse. Just the way it is for me. A little ibuprofen and go hunting.

25-Jun-18
Paul I noticed on McDavids website you posted about the odor from the neoprene and they mentioned another sleeve made out of different materials did you ever try those Lewis

25-Jun-18
Lewis , not I did not. Missed the note concerning a different material. Might have to check it out. Yes, after wearing them all day, the sweat/sleeve material created an odor. I washed them off in a stream near camp, and that helped a lot.

25-Jun-18
Ok, Lewis, I just checked out the "different material" sleeve from McDavis. I read the reviews and one guy stated that the top of the sleeve rolled over easier than he thought it should and had to readjust the sleeve from time to time. I have had others that did that, and it was an issue when hiking. I will just wash the one I have as I like the support. Paul

25-Jun-18
Thanks Paul I too have had an issue readjusting the sleeve/brace on hunts so I'm going with the neoprene Lewis

26-Jun-18
Paul took your advise. I went to Dick's to look at the braces. The material that I was looking at is the spandex with knee pads. More of a football type brace. They did not have the neoprene style like you are talking about. I did try them on, MAN they are sooooo comfortable. They only problem, they have the padded knees. The sales person told me about the Cooper fit. I asked how they compare to McDavid. He said that it is a horse apiece. That they are their 2 best sellers. Now I took my run/walk this morning. No slip or slid. They stayed in place. Plus, my leg did not get sweaty. So Paul, thanks for giving the heads up on a great product. Oh, drove back from Arizona on the 7th of june. Was on rt. 260 just over the Az/Nm line. Saw the sign, then almost hit a herd of Big Horn Sheep. They came right off the cliff onto the road. I saw 7. Wife and daughter sad there where 11. davep

26-Jun-18
Dave, so which sleeve did you purchase? Paul

26-Jun-18
I got the Cooper Fit. Like I said, they only had the McDavid's with the knee pads. I did not like them. They did not have the neoprene. Plus, they are the same price. davep

26-Jun-18
The Incrediwears breathe tremendously well and wick moisture. Wore them everyday of a 14 day Mt. goat/moose hunt last year plus all the training beforehand. Don't go up a hill without them on these old knees anymore.

27-Jun-18
sorry paul heavy finger on the keys. it's copper fit.

28-Jun-18
How difficult is it to pull the copper fit on and can you slide it down when not needed just curious Lewis

28-Jun-18
Lewis, I have been wearing it for my workout. It slides on and off quite easily. Most of the time ,I don't even now that it is on. Plus, the last couple days it has been very humid. The next couple days it is to get in the mid to upper 90's with dew points in the mid 70's to low 80's. So far no sweating in the knee sock. I do want to thank Paul for giving us the info. davep

28-Jun-18
I figure the comfort and support of the neoprene McDavids is worth the tiny amount of odor at the end of a day. We have billions of bacteria on the outside of our skin producing smelly gas all day. The knee braces are just one more little thing. Like Paul, I rinse mine out and they dry quickly.

29-Jun-18
OK, so I purchased the McDavid knee sleeves like the one's pictured in Paul's response and used them in my cardio workout this morning. Yes, because they are neoprene, these is more sweat and stink to deal with. However, these sleeves stayed in place the entire workout and I didn't have to constantly readjust them like I did with my other knee sleeves. I am very pleased with these! I will rinse them out after each workout to reduce the odor. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

22-Aug-19

jmarsha5's Link
Yea the power leg knee supports from shopsurges are pretty good. They're a new type of knee brace my friend told me about and they give me extra support while running since I just had knee surgery. You can google search them and alternatively here's the link to where I got mine: https://shopsurges.com/products/power-knee-joint-support-breathable-knee-pads

22-Aug-19
I've switched to PTEX knee braces and rhey are WAY better. They are breathable and seem to have an antimicrobial layer so they don't smell like the McDavids. Huge improvement. The McDavids went into the trash.

22-Aug-19
Jaq the open patella model or the closed?

• Sitka Gear