Frank Sanders 24-Jun-18
Keef 24-Jun-18
sticksender 24-Jun-18
jrb(CO) 24-Jun-18
BULELK1 25-Jun-18
23-Jun-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I get emails from Ben Brown Hunting Consultant listing what land owner vouchers they get for hunts in various states. These Nevada landowner voucher hunts were just listed. Those top ones seen kinda spendy. Is there something that special in those units that justify the high price tag? Hard to draw maybe??

23-Jun-18
Nevada is like California in that they don't give out many elk tags if you look at the ratio of their elk numbers to tags. There's not many landowner tags in NV and those elk tags are highly sought after. 231 is one of the best elk units in the country, much less Nevada. These hunts often times have ranch access on top of them besides being guided and people pay it, which is why they cost that much. A lot of it is the tag, but many elk in Nevada never/rarely leave the hay/alfalfa fields of the ranches they live on and they aren't dying unless you have access and a tag.

23-Jun-18
Those elk must have gold teeth.

24-Jun-18
The Deer Vouchers are good for all three weapon seasons.

The Elk Vouchers are only good for the weapon you choose, not all three.

Many of the Elk Vouchers never hit the market for Sale as the family members keep them for themselves---Of Course!! haha

I can't remember what the amount of ground needed to qualify for a tag...……?

Good luck, Robb

24-Jun-18
I just saw a 231 tag for $17,500 without the guide so that price is what they are going for. If you want to hunt the UT side of the unit there is one for sale right now for the same $17,500.

If I could just win the lotto..............

24-Jun-18
Considering I've been trying to draw that 231 elk tag for 17 years....I can see where someone would pay that kind of dough if they really want to hunt.

24-Jun-18
That's just the voucher, then you need to buy the tag at $1000 or so. At those prices you could go to Africa and shoot 20 - 30 critters like kudu, eland, oryx etc. The other states like Colorado are about as high priced.

24-Jun-18
I'm at 17 points also, Bruce, and I think we're at about 4% draw odds!

24-Jun-18
My wife and I drew 231 for deer and I also drew elk last year. It's a great unit. I think it's unfortunate that Nevada allows landowners to cash in on these tags. The idea is it's reimbursement for lost revenue from the alfalfa the deer and elk consume. BS on that. The landowner tags are good for the entire unit, not just the ranch that sold them. Some smart ranchers got the Dept of Wildlife to go along with the landowner tag concept and they have found a gold mine in selling them.

24-Jun-18
Those elk vouchers have doubled to tripled in asking price over about the last 5-7 years. Same is the case with the high-demand conservation tags auctioned in Utah. Those two states have some of the best trophy elk hunting, with very little pressure, and everyone knows it. I assume the price will keep going up as long as people are jumping aboard to pay it. A few years back, when the best NV vouchers were going for 7500, many thought that price was ridiculous. But now that seems cheap, as some of those same tags are in the mid-20's. I wonder if we'll look back in 10 years and feel the same about today's prices. Arizona is about the only trophy elk state left that has not allowed their system to be corrupted in this way.

24-Jun-18
Unfortunately with 17 NR points, odds are closer to 1.1% now that true odds can be calculated

25-Jun-18
It's the Double Digit Curse!! haha

I swear, I have drawn my share of deer and antelope with single digit points but nothing with Double Digits.

Granted with the late appl date in Nv. I most years have my 2-3 elk tags, in 2-3 other states, so I just do Points on elk most years in Nv.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear