Paul@thefort 26-Jun-18
splitlimb13 26-Jun-18
trophyhill 26-Jun-18
David A. 26-Jun-18
Tjw 10-Jul-18
APauls 10-Jul-18
tinecounter 10-Jul-18
24-Jun-18
from what I have and read, the garmin xero is legal in utah. I am really mixed on this. from local friends they are switching over calling it a game changer....

24-Jun-18
It's legal there. You don't have to switch. Aron Snyder had a good argument against it on kifarucast. I'll edit this post if I remember what episode.

And supposedly there's issues with the dot actually being visible in some light conditions. But that's just from forums and reviews, so I don't know.

24-Jun-18
I do believe it is a game changer, and not in a good way. I will not be switching as it falls outside my definition of fair chase.

24-Jun-18
6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other...

24-Jun-18
There have been bow mounted range finders around for a long time. Long, long, long time. I don't see where these things are morally inept and, offer's any one a distinct advantage that 99.9% of compound hunters don't already utilize.

I reckon some hunters are like whinny women. Looking for drama and, willing to create it when it doesn't create the situations they need to feel important.

24-Jun-18
WV is right - that line was crossed years ago with barely a stumble.

24-Jun-18
I know that not everyone will care, but if it's mounted to your bow anything you take with it will be ineligible for entry to P&Y and B&C.

25-Jun-18
I don't see it as a game changer. Ranging and picking the right pin is only a small part of elk hunting. IMO most of the challenge of elk hunting is finding the elk and working into a position to take a shot. And this device will hardly have any impact on most shooters ability to make a good shot.

25-Jun-18
Bowhunting hasn't been bowhunting for a long, long time. That line has been crossed , erased and re-drawn so many times that at this point it's become nothing more than a joke.

25-Jun-18

Rut Nut's Link
Pulled this off Youtube- watch to the end where the hunter shoots a buck at 26y. Anybody else notice the shot was (very)high? Can't believe they actually used this footage. Not where I would have expected an arrow to hit from an automatically compensated ranging sight! ;-)

25-Jun-18
...just like rifle and muzzleloader hunting as well. And while on the topic, work ethic is a joke now too with the use of hydraulics, motor and engine driven cranes, and all this safety mumbo jumbo. Whatever happened to a severed finger or hand to show everyone that you work hard?

Think maybe I'll hitch up my wagon and team in the morning to feel like I'm really traveling to work...

25-Jun-18
Would be more of a handicap than helpful.

25-Jun-18
Don't show up in Idaho with that thing!

25-Jun-18
Good point HDE.

25-Jun-18
Good point HDE.

25-Jun-18
Personally, I think the sight is pretty cool, but it won’t make me a better archer, and it costs too much to justify its use, at least for me. It also won’t get me closer to game so for me no thanks. Pretty cool though.

25-Jun-18
I'll let other guys test it out this year. It would definitely help with one of the trickier parts of the final seconds before the shot. Getting a good range then drawing and picking a pin can be tough. Not sure if I'm comfortable with an electronic sight myself. More to go wrong. I hunt too many states anyway. Would be illegal in some.

25-Jun-18
I agree Ned.

25-Jun-18
I almost ordered it,until I talked with the Garmin guys and found out the warranty was horrible for a sight hovering a grand

25-Jun-18
I generally hunt with 1 fixed pin. And on a Elk sized animal it works all the way out to my comfort range for a good shot. Luckily all my shot opportunities while bowhunting have been very close. Not a believer in "gadgetry".

26-Jun-18
Not legal here. And I'm proud, and glad for that...

26-Jun-18
Good thing MT draws the line somewhere...

26-Jun-18
I am not against the sight. It doesn't do anything for you. It might speed up the process slightly of having to range and pick a pin. I do not like the price at all compared to my $70 5 pin sight and my used $50 range finder I bought many many years ago. It is a lot heavier than my sight. I checked one out at the local shop, I could see where in certain conditions you could get glare and possibly make the pin dots hard to see. I would also worry about the lens getting dirty, scratced, fogged up or something happening to it and making seeing through it hard or impossible. The warranty is horrible, for that price it should be a multi year warranty.

26-Jun-18
When someone get paid to say, this new thing is "a game change, revolutionary", that may be the time to doubt the words. Jim Shockey said this about the Air Bow, that is would change archery forever. DA. my best, Paul

26-Jun-18
Multi year or LIFETIME!! I seriously wish it was. I don't think it would make it a weak , bouncing around every day in a bow scabbard ,or just being punnished by the elements.

26-Jun-18
I don't see the site as a gamechanger at all. The shooter still has to make a great shot. Are the guys using this going to throw their rangefinder's away? If so, are you going to range trees, bushes, rocks etc with a bow mounted rangefinder? I don't see any advantage other than ranging an animal that comes in unexpectedly before you set up and have time to range your surroundings.....

26-Jun-18
Just so tacky, isn't it? I really think most elk hunters would shoot a recurve or longbow IF they could be accurate for elk up to say 25 or 30 yds. Range estimate up distances isn't hard and not even necessary for instinctive shooters. The problem is accuracy and it remains a big IF for most people, but it can be beat.

Just my opinion, I'm not entirely against it. Just not on my horizon because it is so unnecessary esp. cause elk are relatively easy to get close to.

10-Jul-18
decided no go... I am shooting lights out with current set up. I know how to fix mist everything if have too. to many unknowns and to short of time to make change. thanks for input....

10-Jul-18
I love it when trad guys say they don't need to range anything (sorry David) because they shoot instinctively. Range estimation is even MORE important for a trad shooter regardless of style, because the the larger arc. Instinctive shooting is simply practiced range estimation to the point where you no longer think of it as hard. Whether you use a rangefinder or not, range estimation is a guaranteed part of a shot sequence any time someone is sending an arrow.

The flatter shooting the arrow, the broader your margin for arrow. So if an instinctive archer shoots low, did he simply miss low? Or was he off on the range? Only reason you'll never hear of an instinctive archer saying he misjudged the range, is because the range is built into the mental shot sequence. It's simply more ambiguous. You don't actually know whether your hold was off, or you were simply holding too low and your release was perfect just mentally you thought the target was closer.

10-Jul-18
RN, I agree, high and I'm guessing from watching the video that it also inhibits arrow penetration. LOL You'd think Garmin could have come up with a better promotional video than this for their latest "new fangled gadget."

• Sitka Gear