IdyllwildArcher 25-Jun-18
JTV 25-Jun-18
caribou77 25-Jun-18
JTV 26-Jun-18
JTV 26-Jun-18
joehunter8301 26-Jun-18
JTV 26-Jun-18
24-Jun-18
OK... I did a comparison and here is my review... Blazers vs Heat vanes.... I averaged out 9 vanes of each style picked random.. Flo. Yellow ..... I went with 9 vanes, enough to fletch 3 arrows ... I used a Lyman digital scale to weigh them... I shot from my Bowtech '06 Allegiance/30" draw-smooth Mods/62lb @ 304fps.. one heck of a hunting rig !!

the Heats averaged 6.6grs - from a high of 7grs to a low of 6.4 grs/Bohning says 6 grs. Heats are 2.5" long .41" tall

Blazers averaged 6.4 grs ....from a high of 6.8 to a low of 6.2grs .. Bohning says 6grs ea.

.568 in height

1.987 long (2")

I fletched the Goldtip XT 340's/28"/395grs using the Arizona Mini-Max ... it put a great helical on either style.. I use Pine Ridge Glue ....

I shot Slicktrick Vipertricks (100grs)/Slick RazorTricks(100gr discontinued) and SlickTrick Wicked Tricks (103grs) which weighed 2-3 grs heavier that the other two styles (blade width ?)

I found when shooting the Vipers and Razortricks and the Wickedtricks no difference in impact using the Blazers .. all flew great/superior accuracy ... FP's were identical

when using the Heats, the ViperTricks and RazorTricks flew good but the larger width WickedTricks sucked ! ... groups opened up, with the occasional flyer ....FP's flew great and impacted with the Vipers and Razors ...

I feel the Heats would be good for those with cable clearance problems, and shooting Mechanicals and lower profile Fixed heads using a good helical....... The Heats can not handle the wider cut fixed heads because of their lower profile, there isnt enough there to stabilize the arrow/BH, even with a good helical... I did not have any Standards or Mags with me at the time to try... I will next time I try the Heats (next weekend) ... I'll update then

Blazers can handle what ever you put on ..... I will continue with the use of Blazers for my Fixed heads (Vipers and RazorsTricks).... I will use the Heats with my Steelheads and Steelhead XL's....... take this as you will

24-Jun-18
Good info. Any side by side photos

24-Jun-18
Good info, JTV. I agree, that Heat vanes aren't meant to steer large fixed blades. I've found that they work better, have less contact, and less bristle wear going through whisker biscuits....and I think they are quieter too. I will say, they do steer Rages right into cages quite well. Thanks for the write up.

24-Jun-18
Bou, I'll take some and post 'em ..

24-Jun-18
Been using Blazers since they came out. Never had a reason to look elsewhere.

24-Jun-18
The vane I use now is also .41" tall but a bit shorter than the Heat. I went with four vanes to make up for the lower profile. No problem steering the Slick Tricks. I was concerned that three vanes wouldn't do it and looks like your experiment verifies that.

24-Jun-18
I have had the same results. Blazer do work well with fixed BHs. With the heat on my injexions I have broken nocks grouping at 50 yards with field points but can’t get fixed broadheads to fly well. Good Mechs work fine so this is my long range windy set up.

24-Jun-18
4 of the Heat's would 'prolly work with the larger Slicks... I dont like adding to much weight to the rear of the arrow because of FOC ... Esp. If I may be adding a lighted nock into the equation .... still waiting on those Glory Nocks for the GT's ... I have a specific arrow weight and FOC I want to stay around and I like my 100 gr BH's/FP's... I dont and wont go to 125grs, not for Deer and Turkey ... not only that, I have so may 100 gr BH's, I'm set for the next 5 years ... I may drop back to my Velocity XT 340's when the Glory nocks come in, if I decide to hunt with them so I can keep the FOC and arrow weight where I want .. Ive went back to the XT Hunters only because I still have so many of those left.... heck, I still have a new untouched dozen of the Velocity XT's and 18 of the older Hunter XT's ....

25-Jun-18
I’m shooting 4 blazers. Only vane I think is comparable is the AAE max hunter. I was having a few issues with 3 blazers steering fixed heads. Switched to 4 and tightened em right up. I’ve played with the heats a little. They are too stiff for my liking and not big enough. It comes down to surface area. The more vane surface the better steering. Not necessarily the shape of the fletch. Of course things like clearance come into play etc but with all the comparing I’ve done and analyzed I still say the 4 fletch blazer is the best for fixed head accuracy assuming all else is equal.

25-Jun-18
I love Blazers but believe I am done with them. I've twice over the years had problems with adhesion. Def not a prep or install issue, but an issue with the activation component on the vanes where I had great adhesion to the shaft, but the bond failed on the vane. Not cool when you're at 10K in Colorado or negotiating an alder thicket in Alaska.

I've got about 7 million Blazers in yellow and white...........

Will look at the Heat vanes. Any other recommendations for dependable Blazer alternates?

25-Jun-18
You might consider Flex-Fletch Silent Knight 200 or 300's.

To reduce wind drift, I'm shooting small diameter arrows with four vanes.

25-Jun-18
Agreed ^^^ ___ The flex fletch SK-300s are the best we've tested

25-Jun-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
Here are the pics ........

25-Jun-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo

25-Jun-18
ttt

25-Jun-18
What jig are you using for the helical JTV?

25-Jun-18
Arizona "Mini-Max" .... it will handle vanes to 2.5" .... Blazers or the Heat or other brands....

25-Jun-18
Holy helical.... Good info, thx. I've been using Blazers for years, they've done well but are loud. Just got some Flex Fletch 200, so I'll see what they do

25-Jun-18
If the wind calms down later on this evening, I'll try the Standards and Mags with the arrows fletched with Heat vanes ....

25-Jun-18
I did the same test last month with 4 fletch Blazers vs. 4 fletch Heat. Same conclusion. Heat's couldn't handle a Simmons 4 blade Landshark, 160gr. Rocky Mnt 4 blade Supreme 1.5"x1.5", or Zwickey Delta 4 blade. They almost missed my small broadhead box target at 20 yards. This is an extreme test though, they are fine with mechanicals and 3 blade fixed heads.

25-Jun-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
Ok... I had a chance to shoot the Mags and Standards with the Heat fletched arrows ... started at 20 to confirm, then went back to 40 yds... they flew very good, no wobble, no flyers... here is a 40 yd group, Standards and Mags with the Heat Vanes ..... it was still way to windy to try further, 40 was pushing it...

25-Jun-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
I stayed at 40 yds and shot a single Blazer w/ a Viper Trick.... then shot the Standard and a Mag ..... the Standard hit the nock of the Blazer/Vipertrick arrow, cracked the nock, chipped the rear of the arrow...... I stopped at that point, still very breezy and I didnt want to trash any more arrows ..... this is the 3 arrow group at 40 yds, the busted nocked Blazer/Viper is the middle arrow

with the lower profile BH's I feel the Heats will work OK, esp. with a strong helical on 'em... a 4 fletch would be better .... for my hunting, I'll stick with the Blazers and use the Heat only with my Steelheads and Steelhead XL's.... for myself, I see no advantage of the Heat over the Blazers.... your results may vary ;0)

25-Jun-18
The helical is great on those, but that's a loud arrow.

25-Jun-18
I dont think its loud, the deer never notice .... ;0)

25-Jun-18
Another alternative is the flex fletch FLP 300. I was having trouble with blazers clearance issues on my last bow (and adhesion issues) found the flp and never looked back. 4 300s have no trouble with slick tricks. I started using 4 400s cause I like how the look.

26-Jun-18

26-Jun-18
ttt

26-Jun-18
Curious if you rotate nocks when tuning...?

26-Jun-18
If I have to, yes, it is very seldom I have to ..... I always set up my fixed heads in a specific way in relation to the vanes... Its something Ive always done and always will do, some say its not needed, but I want all my arrows/heads the same, I'm kinda anal that way... ... so with the Mags and Standards, I set them up so they make an X when on the string, vane straight up ... with the Vipers and the Razors, I set them up so the smaller blade is straight up + .....

• Sitka Gear