Anyone ever done this? Curious!
I bought a turkey hunt on EBay in SD nad have been going back for at least 15 years. I liked in so much I bought a farm nearby.
Most of my experiences have been very good. I did have a guy take a deposit and disappear in WA.
I bought one hunt through eBay and it was a positive experience.
1. I bought a two day duck and goose hunt in OH. It was 5 retired old men that sell 2 hunts a year to pay for their shells. It was a heated blind, they cooked brats on a grill in the blind, and broke each other’s stones like the movie grumpy old men the whole time. Oh, by the way we got out limit in both ducks and goose each day. It was wonderful.
2. I bought a brown bear hunt in AK with a guide that was just starting out. We hunted over a salmon stream and it again was wonderful and a great price.
3. I bought a bison hunt in the Crow Indian reservation in Montana. It was listed on Sunday, the auction ended Tuesday and you had to be there Thursday. You could shoot any bison and keep 50 pounds of meat. They wanted the rest of the meat for a Veteran's Day Powow. I like it so much I bought the same hunt 3 more times on EBay. I paid between $1200 and $1500 each time.
4. I bought an elk hunt in Washington and the guy simply disappeared. I never heard from him again and could not find him.
5. I bought a javelina hunt in TX for 2 days and took a buddy. Again, I met some nice people, it was on their private lease and had a great time.
I have had very good luck over the years and I would guess I have bought 15 hunts or so on EBay. I usually buy “buddy hunts”. They are not usually professional guides or outfitters but a landowner that is guiding you himself. I either end up staying at their home, tent, or a local motel.
I have also bought hunts with reputable outfitters that someone purchased at a fundraiser and is now selling it for some reason and had very good outcomes.
Please do not buy any of them, it keeps the price down for me.