t-roy 26-Jun-18
BIG BEAR 26-Jun-18
JL 27-Jun-18
rattling_junkie 27-Jun-18
Charlie Rehor 27-Jun-18
Rut Nut 27-Jun-18
copperman 27-Jun-18
26-Jun-18
Finally after 13 yrs drew a bear tag for the Baldwin unit. I have plenty of private land to hunt including part of a huge swamp. Looking at the results of should take 20+ yrs to draw again for the same area. Once I get a camera going i will try to update with set up and pictures. Mark

26-Jun-18
Congrats !!!!!!! Kill a big one !!!!

26-Jun-18
Congratulations keep us posted!!

26-Jun-18
Mark when is the bear season? Baldwin Michigan! That name brings back memories. I use to drive up from Ohio in late March (late 1970s) to steelhead trout fish on the Pere Marquette R. just down stream and south of Baldwin town. I would park at the "green cottage" at the end of the dirt road and fish with the fly rod. Good times for sure. Paul

26-Jun-18
The season is 9/14-26 i believe. The Baldwin unit is quite big; NW lower michigan. Beautiful area for sure!

26-Jun-18
you get around Paul!

26-Jun-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Now that the quota is bumped up to 150 it "should" not take as long to draw as years go by. When the full stats spreadsheet comes out we can see how the points stack up. I'm hoping it gets back down to less than 10 pp's one day.

26-Jun-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
My first deer ever with a bow in MIchigan while in the UP in 1962. Good memories.
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
My first deer ever with a bow in MIchigan while in the UP in 1962. Good memories.
Hey Dan. Getting around==Yea. I was stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in the UP for 4 years 59-63 and then later spent 6 years at NMU 66-71,. I have fished a lot of the salmon and steelhead streams and boat fished many of the Michigan ports for salmon. Bow hunted for deer, shot gunned for grouse, and woodcock in the upper--lower. Michigan is a great state for fishing and hunting and I enjoyed every minute of my stay there. Hope all is well with you. my best, Paul

26-Jun-18
Hey I'M. I looked at the stars for 2017. It stated that for the group's having 0-9 points there were roughly 3000. That would average out to 330 per point group. At 151 licences that would take 18 yrs for a person with zero to draw. That does not take into account how many 10-12 point hunters there are.

loo!ing for more of a challenge in this hunt and thinking of hunting off the ground with a recurve. Anyone tried this? Did you carry a back up gun?

26-Jun-18
Nice picture Paul. My parents were both born and raised in the UP in Norway and Vulcan. You shot your feet 1-2 months before I was born. I also enjoy hunting up there a few days every year.

26-Jun-18
If you were hunting Amasa I could help you out,,, good luck

26-Jun-18
Appreciate the thought, groundhunter. Hooked up with a source for donut grease today. Working on a local bait source the next couple of days.

26-Jun-18
Congrats on the tag. Enjoy the process and build up to the hunt. That's the best part

26-Jun-18
I wish they would up the quota, there are lots of bears here.

26-Jun-18
Paul.... I flew touch and gos up at Sawyer in P-3s when I was stationed at Selfridge in the late 80s.... The base is closed now I believe....

26-Jun-18
Congrats on the tag, Mark! Crazy that it takes a resident that long to draw a tag! Is it because of the area you are trying to draw, or is it a statewide thing?

26-Jun-18
Baldwin is a hard to get tag in the lower peninsula....... tags in the UP are much easier to get...

27-Jun-18
BB, when the full point spread sheet comes out we can see who has what for points in the Baldwin draw. A few things to keep in mind. If the Baldwin numbers show alot of folks applied with 9, 10, 11, 12 points, you can project the number of points it will take to draw Baldwin in the future. I did this a few years back and predicted it would take 13-14 points in the future. However that was based on the old quota of 80. I'd need to look at the spread sheet to recalculate the future points needed. The variable is the folks like myself who just collect points only without applying for Baldwin. Some will come out of nowhere and enter the draw for the first time with 13+ points. When I drew in 2011 I think I had 10 or 11 points. My daughter is sitting on 14 points.

27-Jun-18
Good luck, I’m sure it will be an adventure!

27-Jun-18
If anyone drew Amasa or Baraga and wants a terrific Outfitter send me a PM.

27-Jun-18
I was born on KI Sawyer AFB in 1965. ;-)

27-Jun-18
Got my 17th point this year...…….one of these years

• Sitka Gear