Zbone 11-Jul-18
mn_archer 11-Jul-18
thedude 12-Jul-18
Michael 12-Jul-18
Bowfreak 12-Jul-18
LTG 11 13-Jul-18
27-Jun-18

Bowboy's Link
You can apply forWY grizzly starting July 2nd.

27-Jun-18
Thanks. Anyone know what the non res price is? Having a hard time finding it on the site.

27-Jun-18
$6000 for non-res and $600 for residents.

27-Jun-18
2018 Resident and Nonresident Tag/License/and required fees: Nonresident Resident Grizzly Application Fee $15 $5 Grizzly License Fee (if successful) $6,000 $600

Application Period: July 2-16, 2018

27-Jun-18
Thanks bowboy, had been looking for that info ;-)

27-Jun-18
good luck to all those who apply!!

27-Jun-18
I am scratching my head. $6,000 for WY grizzly is so far beyond any other tag I put in for that mentally I am hitting the brakes. I compare that $6,000 cost to the multiple tags I could get to West. I have 5 non-resident tags drawn this year covering elk, deer, pronghorn and aoudad though the total is less than $6,000.

The two tags I currently put in closest to $6000 are WY bull bison and NM ram sheep. The Colorado Big 3 are each over $2,000 now and now seem a bargain in comparison.

What am I missing?

27-Jun-18
Treewalker,

No self-guided grizzly hunt is available anywhere else in the world. And the guided ones are pushing 20k now. That could be what they looked at when arriving at the NR tag price.

27-Jun-18
Of course you have to have a guide in WY if in a "wilderness" areas, so not necessarily a DIY hunt for NRs. Don't have any idea if there are good grizzly areas that would not require a guide. And the odds are going to be astronomical so I wouldn't worry about drawing a tag anyway.

27-Jun-18
"No self-guided grizzly hunt is available anywhere else in the world." No where huh. Alaskans scoff at that statement, lol.

27-Jun-18
I think I'll just buy a point this year.

:):):):):)

27-Jun-18
SteveH, sure rub it in ;-)

Txhunter, if so just get a willing friend who's a resident.

27-Jun-18
There are lots of bears outside the wilderness

27-Jun-18
I can only imagine being drawn and having no place to hunt. Or being drawn buying tags and the season closes early with 2 sow quota being met and I’m hold a 6k tag and can’t even go on a hunt.

27-Jun-18

Bowboy's Link
This article in the Jackson paper is stating the Anti-Hunters are going to apply for these tags.

27-Jun-18
Add more tags next year, then.

27-Jun-18
It's gonna be a shit show the second one of those photographers finds the bear hunter and gets on their radio.

27-Jun-18
If antis apply and draw the tags, the harvest would be zero. Normal management would dictate a huge increase in tags the following year to ensure the harvest quota is met.

27-Jun-18
Thanks for the revenue antis

27-Jun-18
The first anti that gets mauled will scream and cry for justice if they live long enough.

27-Jun-18
sweet always wanted to be on TV.... not many guys going with bows ... parade it down main street jackson. just like deer on the hood like the good old days..

27-Jun-18
I am in for sure. $6000 to Wyoming or 20K to go to Alaska. Financially it’s a no brainer.

To be able to hunt a Grizz in the lower 48 is remarkable. I never dreamed I would see that in my lifetime 30 years ago when I started bow hunting.

28-Jun-18
To think that there are no grizz opportunities outside of the wilderness - you either haven't spent much time in NorthWestern Wyoming or you haven't spent much time in NorthWestern Wyoming.

The Shoshone, Wind, Snake, and Green river basins have tons of country outside the Wilderness that hold Grizz. Especially the Shoshone and Wind river drainages.

I'm a DIY elk hunter who has hunted NW WY the past 6 years, so never inside the wilderness. 4 of the past 6 have been in the Wind River drainage and we've been covered up in Grizz - indeed the most grizz maulings/deaths in the past 10 years in a single unit in the US have come out of the Wind River drainage. One year we hunted the Shoshone river drainage and were seeing 5-6 grizz a day in the south fork drainage.

If you want to hunt grizz DIY in WY, there is plenty of opportunity. In all honesty, there are areas that it'd be pretty easy because you can just fire a rifle shot in October and it's like ringing a dinner bell - the Grizz come running. WY DFG did a study where they radio collared elk hunters and grizz and found that the grizz were following the hunters out of the trailheads and running hunters off of elk kills. We talked to a local who shot a moose the year prior and it had 5-6 grizz on it day 2 after being shot.

28-Jun-18
I wanna see a picture of one of these radio collared elk hunters :)

28-Jun-18
It would be an exciting hunt for sure.

Agree-----> plenty of huntable ground that isn't in any Wilderness.

Good luck, Robb

28-Jun-18
I'll be waiting for my MT. Grizz hunt to happen. $6,000 is just plain ridiculous for any animal...

28-Jun-18
Provided that WY's hunt goes smoothly this year, I can't believe that MT won't have a season next year.

28-Jun-18
Count me in! It's been my lifelong dream to shoot three Grizzlies in one year, this may be my chance.

28-Jun-18
Wyoming should make it a requirement that in order to be eligible for the draw, the applicant must have had a Wyoming big game license the previous year.

That would weed out the antis and other wannabes

28-Jun-18
Nick, don't be so greedy and give us little a chance. :)

28-Jun-18
Nick is a Grizzlies worst nightmare. They better hope you stay up north!

28-Jun-18
Just kidding! I'm not paying 6K to hunt a grizzly when I can do it for 40$ in gas :)

28-Jun-18
On a related note, what do you all think of the trophy quality with regards to the bears in Wyo? Are there bears running around with 25"+ skulls? Curious how the record books top 10 will look like after a few years of L48 seasons.

28-Jun-18
"Provided that WY's hunt goes smoothly this year, I can't believe that MT won't have a season next year."

Yeah, that is like Montana to hide in the shade, shaking like a leaf. What a bunch of scared timid little rabbits.

28-Jun-18
Hard to say Nick. I've seen a few large pumpkin heads that I'd love to check. Maybe others have some info about skull size. I'd venture to guess our overall our griz are similar in size to your interior grizzlies in Alaska.

28-Jun-18
I've seen a few with pumpkin heads. I saw one last year scouting for sheep and he was a toad.

28-Jun-18
For that kind of money with a limited quota harvest I’d rather do a diy Alaska moose hunt.

28-Jun-18
Colorado combats antis buying permits by making everyone take a hunter safety course. If they do that, then maybe they actually educate themselves.

29-Jun-18
That's a good point Ucsdryder.

29-Jun-18
So how much does it cost to apply ?? 15 bucks as a non resident ?? Do I have to have anything else as far as regular hunting licenses there to apply ??

If a person wins a tag.... can they transfer it to someone with advanced illness or to a youth ???

29-Jun-18
Regarding the Hunter Ed suggestion.....reading the June 25th article in Bowboy's link posted above, it states:

"Game and Fish officials heard the concerns and changed their plans, instating a 10-day limit per hunter and requiring people to procure a hunter-education certificate before they can purchase a license."

The hunter ed requirement applies to those born after 1966.

29-Jun-18
if the antis lock this up in court after you draw your 6k tag and the hunt is cancelled do you get a refund.

29-Jun-18
Big Bear, not sure a youth hunter is the best idea for a Griz. I know there are plenty of kids that would do fine, but that’s a serious hunt.

29-Jun-18
good luck to all............... you guys that have hunted them, what do you do with the meat? was always curious about that..............

30-Jun-18
Leave it for another bear to eat.

30-Jun-18
Grizzly back strap tastes like a cheap over cooked cafeteria steak. I don’t plan on packing the meat out again unless it’s easy terrain.

02-Jul-18
The process in which you apply/draw/hunt is a bit of a convoluted process. I can understand why they are doing that way, but it sure makes it tough for a working man to be able to go because of the time frame, not knowing until the last minute wether you will get to hunt or not. I need to retire!

02-Jul-18
entered

02-Jul-18
Just was in the park looking at some bears last week. Couple freaking toads on the south side of the Lamar Valley.

04-Jul-18
I'm in

04-Jul-18
Just applied. May as well try to add a grizzly to the sheep and bison tags I already have. That will all but seal up my boss firing me and the wife wanting to put a tag on me!

08-Jul-18
Did 7, put up the money, hopefully better odds

09-Jul-18
LOL MQQSE. Good luck in the draw.

09-Jul-18
Curious - What is the, "Grizzly Bear Issuance List $15.00 Grizzly bear license issuance list - areas 1-6 type 1" ?

09-Jul-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

09-Jul-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I’ve killed 2. That’s enough for me. I hope whoever draws the tags has a great exciting successful hunt

10-Jul-18
Curious, if that $6000 application fee refundable if not drawn and receive a preference point?

10-Jul-18
No preference points for grizzly, same as bison.

10-Jul-18
yup, no points.

I'm in

10-Jul-18
Is the $6000 refundable if not drawn then?

11-Jul-18
I see the application dates, but has the drawing date been announced?

11-Jul-18
Nick, a life long dream to shoot 3 grizzlies in a year? That’s a very specific dream, where most people would be happy to shoot 1 grizzly in their lifetime! ??

11-Jul-18
Zbone, yes it will be refunded. I believe the drawing is August 1st.

11-Jul-18
I see this first year being bad for whomever kills. Kinda like the poor guy that shot Cecil the lion. I would love a chance at a grizzly, but don't want to lose my business to bad publicity. Does anyone else have the fear of public outcry? I want to say screw them but that's not realistic for many small business owners

11-Jul-18
Thanks Ron

11-Jul-18
turbot

as a small business owner who has a pretty decent number of customers who voted different than I did last election I'm very aware that this could cost me business if I were successful in the draw and hunt.

I'm prepared for that and willing to accept it

12-Jul-18
If only the libs could see how many moose, elk and cubs are kept in the population for every Grizz taken. One study in south western ak showed grizzlies ate a moose or caribou calf every 1.5 days during a 45 day period. A guy on another forum just posted a picture of a griz boar standing over a 6 month old cub it just killed. I am still super stoked that lower 48 guys get a chance at basically a once in a lifetime animal at a working mans price.

12-Jul-18
Has anyone heard how the lawsuit is proceeding? I did a google search and everything that pops up is from March. Can not seem to find any current news on it.

I have held off on applying to see how the lawsuit was going to turn out.

12-Jul-18
The judge is supposed to rule on 8/31 if I am not mistaken.

13-Jul-18
I was just thinking.... If there was a native american that had ancestral ties to hunting grizzlies, wouldn't that be the best case PR scenario for someone to fill the first tag?

That would surely lessen the firestorm.

• Sitka Gear