Paul@thefort 29-Jun-18
weekender21 14-Jul-18
EmbryOklahoma 14-Jul-18
SDHNTR(home) 15-Jul-18
varmint101 15-Jul-18
29-Jun-18

weekender21's embedded Photo
My 2017 season was rather short due to work commitments and spending some of my leisure time searching for property on the east coast. I'm off to a late start in 2018 but it certainly isn't slow. My first weekend in the Axis deer woods was quite satisfying, both from meat acquisition and personal enjoyment perspectives. I shot the buck at ~33 yards, both does were shot at less than 15 yards.

29-Jun-18

These two were killed 20 minutes apart.

29-Jun-18

Second doe.

29-Jun-18
I'm not sure how much longer I'll reside in Hawaii, we've already purchased land in the mountains of western NC and retirement is on the horizon. I sure will miss my 20 minute flights to Axis paradise!

Hunting opportunities in Hawaii are unfortunately becoming few and far between. I certainly hope to make trips back to the islands when we leave but there really is no guarantee. In the mean time, I'll take advantage of the awesome opportunities that still exist in the island state!

29-Jun-18
I don't know much about axis deer except that they're supposed to be excellent eating and that buck looks like a big one! Congrats and enjoy your retirement!

Why are hunting opportunities dwindling in Hawaii?

29-Jun-18
Always enjoy your post. Enjoy retirement . Hunt

29-Jun-18
Excellent. Nice work!

29-Jun-18
Congrats! Nice pics and enjoy the eating!

29-Jun-18
Congrats on your hunt. I have a friend in Hawaii right now hunting Axis. Hopefully he is as successful. Might be nice to hear more about your hunt. ie. land topography, wariness of the deer, type of hunting... spot and stalk or still hunting, etc.

29-Jun-18
I guess horizon is a matter of perspective, I'm still looking at another 4 years until retirement but it's beginning to set in already.

midwest, there are no native big game species in Hawaii. It's mainly political/environmental but in many areas in Hawaii big game species are being eradicated. Hunters are really only a tool to assist in the eradication efforts if the powers at be were honest.

29-Jun-18
Stoneman, I shot the buck and doe on a morning hunt from a hang on tree stand. It's a pinch point between feeding and bedding and has been a pretty hot spot in the past.

The evening hunt was intended to be a bedding to feeding interception. It's essentially just that but the guava's are dropping in the woods right now and doe plus several others were slowly feeding past when I shot her.

Axis can be hunted in many ways in Hawaii and seem to thrive in every environment where they occur (three islands in Maui County). I've killed plenty in very arid low country near the beach to extremely dense forest in the high country.

29-Jun-18
Andrew, nicely done. My wife is from NC and someday wishes to return to the NC mountains but I am afraid she will be going solo as I am not leaving Colorado until my final day. I am not going to show her your post. :) because I know what she will say, ie, "hey, Andrew is one smart guy--when are we moving east". my best, Paul

14-Jul-18
I'd be a happy guy in CO too no doubt! I'm not sure I could tolerate the east coast without a piece of property to keep me occupied. I do have a severe addiction to fly fishing though and NC has it's fare share of awesome streams.

I was in NC last week and pulled camera cards. Bobcats, black bear, deer, turkey, ground hogs, coyotes, etc. Plenty to keep me busy!

14-Jul-18
Very cool! Congrats, Andrew!

15-Jul-18
Right on Andy! Congrats buddy. Glad to see you back at it.

15-Jul-18
Nice job!

• Sitka Gear