Bushwacker's embedded Photo
Her warthog
Her warthog
And her wildebeest
And her wildebeest
Emily's only bow kill was in 2015 at the age of 14 when she took a small south Texas whitetail doe with her Parker Buckshot set at 40 lbs. Fast toward to present day, she recently turned 17 and wanted to take a Kudu with her bow so off to Namibia we went. The kudu came in to the water at 24 yards. She drew and released. From my angle, it looked as if she'd hit it too far back and it was going to be a gut shot and possibly a long recovery. The bull trotted about 40 yards and stopped briefly before walking out of view. Getting out of the blind, we recovered her arrow, a complete pass through, and found it to be covered in blood. We had the tracking dog with us and we really didn't need it. The blood trail was good enough for us to start the tracking. The dog, a Fox Terrier named Bullet, ran about 40 yards into the brush and started barking. We could just barely make out the bull through the brush. He was wobbling on his feet and Emily was trying to work her way in for a follow up shot when the bull went to the ground. For good measure, the PH had her finish the bull with another arrow. Apparently, the bull was quartering away more than I could see from my angle and the arrow entered behind the last rib on the left side and exited through the right shoulder. Her equipment came through for her for the first time on the trip.

I think I was more excited than she was and you dads out there know what I mean right?

The next animal to fall was the impala ram. It came in to the water and was quartering too her at 20 yards. She settled the pin on the right front shoulder and released. The arrow barely slowed down as it passed through both shoulders. Impala crashed within 15 yards. Later that same afternoon, a good warthog came in to the water, offering a 30 yard broadside shot. That's the end of her comfort zone and she was hesitant to release. This is the only animal I had on video and it's evident by the length of time and our hushed conversation that she was hesitant to shoot and we were encouraging her to take the shot. She hit about two inches higher than the 'perfect' shot, but again, the arrow passed completely through. Another good blood trail and we found the warthog about 100 yards from point of impact. Last animal, a cull wildebeest or in this case, a cow. A bit of confusion due the different viewing angles. The PH was looking at one animal and ranged it at 21 yards, Emily was at full draw looking at another animal. In hindsight, the animal she shot was probably closer to 30 yards. The arrow hit low and a bit forward. From my view, I saw the animal turn to run, going right through a bush, and the arrow had not fully penetrated, but I could see blood pumping out. We went to retrieve the arrow and found that it had broken off about a third of the way up from the front. The rest of the arrow was clean. Emily was worried that the animal wasn't hit well enough and I reassured her as I could tell it was hit well and the arrows and bow had done their jobs. Knowing the arrow got at least 10-12 inches of penetration and the amount of blood that we were following, I was confident that the broadhead had more than likely clipped the heart. No tracking dog needed as we were able to follow the blood trail to a downed wildebeest. Again, her equipment and setup paid off. The arrow/broadhead had split the front leg bone and entered into the chest cavity, clipping the heart as suspected.

Four for four, no need for the PH to use a rifle for a final shot, and all were easy to recover by following good blood trails or had fallen in plane sight. Her setup: Bowtech Eva Shockey, set at 50 lbs. GrizzlyStik Momentum TDT 320 arrows, 200 grain Cutthroat single bevel broadheads. Total arrow weight of 580 grains with a 24% FOC

Link to the warthog video on YouTube, hope it works

https://youtu.be/KCCgZAtfczA

29-Jun-18
Congrats! Thanks for sharing love to see our kids doing our passion

29-Jun-18
Awesome!

29-Jun-18

Bushwacker's Link
Video of warthog

You can hear us debating on distance and which pin to use...

29-Jun-18
Nothing succeeds like success ! Congrats to you and her Bushwacker ! Looking to me like there's another "wacker" in town. Beautiful girl and three beautiful animals. I can't call the warthog beautiful, but it's a nice trophy :-)

29-Jun-18
She did great....congrats to you both!

29-Jun-18
Video sweeeeet

29-Jun-18
Awesome! Congrats! Are you taking applications for adoption?

29-Jun-18
Congrats to your daughter!!!

29-Jun-18
Nothin beats that

29-Jun-18

Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
Too Many Bows Bob's embedded Photo
Took my son when he was 14, and we both had a great time. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

TMBB

29-Jun-18
Outstanding!

29-Jun-18
Congratulations! To the both of you! So awesome to share in your daughter’s dream!

29-Jun-18
Good stuff! Congrats!

29-Jun-18
Good for you!

29-Jun-18
So proud of Emily. Congrats on some super trophies.

29-Jun-18
Thanks everyone. She really gets into the whole archery thing. She cuts her own arrows, preps them, then wraps them, and glues on the feathers/vanes herself and she's really good at it. Her finished product is spot on. She'll adjust her sight when needed, not needing help from me. Same with her AR rifle. She put the lower together, with a little instruction from a friend, pretty much by herself.

29-Jun-18
Congrats Emily! Some great animals and even better memories for both you and dad!

29-Jun-18
You go girl ! Congrats.

29-Jun-18
Congrats!

29-Jun-18
Somehow I missed the link to the vid the first time. Super !

29-Jun-18
Congrats! My son is 3 and my daughter is 9mos I hope they share my passion for the outdoors so I can mak similar memories!

29-Jun-18
Congratulations to both of you !

29-Jun-18
Nice work! Way to go one and all!

30-Jun-18
Very Kool indeed!

Congrats to ya both

Good luck, Robb

30-Jun-18
Wow...that's great!

30-Jun-18
There is nothing better in this world. Sharing a hunt with a daughter. Congrats to Emily and her success through her obvious work and dedication.

30-Jun-18
Congratulations to you both! I agree 100%, as a dad there's nothing better than seeing your kids share your passion and getting to witness their success. Great job.

30-Jun-18
That's awesome!

30-Jun-18
Congrats to you both!! I raised 4 daughters, that is really cool.

30-Jun-18
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the story!

30-Jun-18
Great job Dad! Hope to be doing that soon with my daughter. Who did you hunt with?

30-Jun-18
Great job congrats I’m sure neither of you will ever forget this hunt Lewis

30-Jun-18
Congrats! That’s awesome!!!

Mark

30-Jun-18
Congrats yes pretty dam cool

01-Jul-18
Girl Power! LOOK OUT! Very cool!. my best, Paul

01-Jul-18
Congrats!! Great pics:)

01-Jul-18