Paul@thefort 30-Jun-18
trail hound 30-Jun-18
Lee 30-Jun-18
'Ike' 01-Jul-18
Fuzz 01-Jul-18
Ace of Spades 02-Jul-18
W 02-Jul-18
29-Jun-18
What do you do if ??? ... you have a good location for deer (once you get there), but entry into it sucks.... Ive went thru this scenario multiple times....

wind direction is good once you get there, but getting there goes against the wind and possibly into the direction they will come from, but once you get there the preferred wind is fine for the set up ...... entry is lousy because of access .... do you bypass the spot or just go in and hope things will be fine once you get there ??...

29-Jun-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've gone in with the wind completely wrong & have seen deer right after getting in the stand. Last year I turned around in my stand & a good buck standing30 yds in front of my stand. My bow was on the ground on my rope. No idea why he was there, walked over a little rise & right to my stand & wind going right to him.. No, I did not get a shot, just a photo

29-Jun-18
Shot a 164" 8 point on public land at 40 yds while standing on the ground upwind of a herd of deer

29-Jun-18
I try like hell not to have that problem, but sometimes it can't be helped I guess. No way you can find another entrance route ?

29-Jun-18
I’ve had some good hunts after clanking around ,scouting,sawing .Just limit your times hunting the area and you will be fine

29-Jun-18
Get yourself some good cover scents and go, deer herd in a stick or some nose jammer and hunt.

29-Jun-18
if its a morning stand go in earlier than you normally would by an hour.

29-Jun-18
if its a morning stand go in earlier than you normally would by an hour.

30-Jun-18
DryCreek, no there is no other way in ..... I'd have to come in from the North/NW .. Preferred wind would be N/NE ... cant do any thing from the south, it is a no go zone ( State land) .... in the AM, I'd go in early for sure ... PM, also go in early to sit till dark ... .. good location, just that entrance is hard .....

30-Jun-18
I think you can hunt these stands and be successful but they are much easier to overhunt . If access is bad I’ll save it, only hunt it when everything else is right and plan for a long sit.

30-Jun-18
Parachute!

Can get access another way? Through asking neighbors or something?

I would not not hunt it

30-Jun-18
I’ve spent up to 2 days cutting a trail to an awesome stand site.

30-Jun-18
Bullbuster, I do that to many of my locations, I would have to here.. it is at least a 6/10 th mile of a hike to get in there, what ever route I would choose .... there is a huge marsh to the west, private property to the north (hunted), and the south as stated is a off limits area of the state land/no access ... the east is big deep water filled ditch, no bridge, no downed trees to cross on, over 6-7 ft deep with a lot of muck/mud along it, you sink to your knees ... I found this place while shed hunting after looking at it on Huntstand, good funnel and the deer walk along the ditch berm before they cut in past the Cotton wood to get to the woods in back to the west, and that will flood out if there is heavy rains as it abuts up next to the marsh, however, if it stays dry, I might be able to access thru the woods, it needs to cool down so I can get out there to walk it some more, it was all flooded with the snow melt and heavy rains back in Feb ............ .... the only parking area is also to the north .... Oh, I will be packing in my stand/sticks every hunt as I always do .... remember this is state/public land ... it will only be hunted during bow season and it is likely there will be stands from others plastered thru there, but not where I'd be ...... I primarily hunt another area on the place, where no stands be kept up over night/unattended, you pack it in and out daily... it's just that this location looked inviting because it is hard to get into ... Ive got 41 set ups on the 9000+ acre property I can hunt, all packing in the stand/sticks or climber ..

30-Jun-18
Would it be possible/better to access the area on a kayak or canoe from the water filled ditch? I have a couple of these spots hard to access too, I think they can definitely still be hunted. As others have stated I wouldn’t over do it though, pretty easy to over hunt.

30-Jun-18
My best spot is very hard to access. Really I'm limited to one way in. I go. I go slow and avoid trails at almost all cost. Just go! I've had more success going then not!

30-Jun-18
Like Simple said just go. Have fun

30-Jun-18
Sounds like a canoe spot

30-Jun-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The larges WT buck I have killed in Colorado was in an area I had to walk straight in to, across a pasture 400 yards with the wind at my back. I got there two hours before light, sat in the tree stand until then, he came by and 1/2 hour later just up wind. Killed him at 15 yards. I figured/hoped he was across the creek on the adjacent property. I was right. He never knew I was there.

30-Jun-18

trail hound's embedded Photo
trail hound's embedded Photo
I can't approach a stand with the wind at my back. It blows my confidence and without confidence you are relying on luck and that doesn't work for me. I had this situation a few years ago and decided to drive my jeep with windows up across the field and through the timber on a trail so I could approach my stand into the wind. I had permission to drive anywhere and obviously that's not always an option, but if and when it is, it can work.

30-Jun-18
Canoe as a number have said or chest waders - whatever gets you across the ditch.

01-Jul-18
Have someone come in and test it for you and I'd like to help you with that! ;-) You'll figure it out Jeff...

01-Jul-18
I've got a similar situation I've been dealing with for years but on private. The deer can and do bed all over with water and swamp on 2 sides.

Black helicopter insertion is my only option.:-(

02-Jul-18
One spot I hunt has only one way into it and usually results in some deer getting bumped. But if it is left alone until the rut and you only go into it a couple times then there is still a good chance to see numerous deer on all day sits. After 2-3 hunts though the sightings really drop.

02-Jul-18
Go across on a tractor inter tube. If you can’t get in without making a bunch of noise, jog in and grunt on two different calls as you go. They’ll think it’s a chase and be along shortly.

• Sitka Gear