Charlie Rehor 02-Jul-18
WV Mountaineer 02-Jul-18
LINK 02-Jul-18
Junior 02-Jul-18
grape 02-Jul-18
elkmtngear 02-Jul-18
Shawn 02-Jul-18
02-Jul-18
I've been shooting bows of one sort or another for the last 40 years. My wife just started shooting late last year. Her first bow was a cheaper low quality model to make sure she liked shooting. I've since bought her a high quality bow. She shoots well for just starting out. She already expects to drive tacks and it is discouraging her a bit. No matter how well I say she's doing she's always downing her abilities. She measures her accuracy to mine. I've since stopped practicing when she does. I go out with her but I don't shoot. I let her do her thing until she asks for advice. The biggest thing I see is shot anticipation, better known as target panic. I want this to be fun for her and I'm not being a very good coach right now because I don't know how to get her through this. There is a local archery store that we frequent with a guy that gives lessons and she is comfortable with him. Would any of you think that I should take that route and see if he can help her through her panic? Have any of you beaten or have things you do when you feel it coming on? The way I get through it isn't working for her. Thanks in advance for any ideas. In the end this is supposed to be fun and it's tearing me apart watching her struggle.

02-Jul-18
Absolutely take her to a pro. My wife and I know each other so well if I say left she goes right:) Give it up and you’ll be fine.

02-Jul-18
Yes. If she wants to be a good shot and you are unable to help her, get her some help. Before she gets in really ingrained. She is very different from many I have experienced, in that new archers with todays equipment, tend to be phenomenal shots UNTIL target panic sets in. Almost every archer has some form of it too. So, get her help while you can because learning her struggles will prevent a lot of it

02-Jul-18
Yep, paying for a little coaching can be a good thing. I’ve done it for my daughter a few times. Pro didn’t tell her anything I hadn’t 100 times but she listens to me about like my wife. If you have a buddy that knows his stuff, have him come over and tell your wife he’s a pro. He might just take payment in little round cans.

02-Jul-18
Form can be taught on YouTube. Repetition and memory comes next. It takes time. Its not a gun, archery requires a ton of practice. Move her closer and turn down the poundage. Maybe a smaller spot on the target? How about grip? Is she centering the pin in peep? Punching the trigger?

02-Jul-18
Bear....you definitely want to get help from a pro or perhaps your archery club or shop has someone who will be a third party. You and your wife know each other too well. She needs to hear constructive criticism from a source other than you.

02-Jul-18
Start shooting bare bow when you are shooting together, and then she will out-shoot you (most of the time)...does wonders for her ego !

02-Jul-18
Yup, I have been with my wife 38 years. I tried to teach her to drive standard about 10 years ago, tried on and off for weeks! Finally asked my Dad to try, he took her out for 20 minutes and she was driving and shifting like a pro. In that short time he even had her slip the clutch on several hills and she did perfect. Just changing the teacher can make a huge difference. Shawn

• Sitka Gear