Ucsdryder 21-Jun-19
Ucsdryder 07-Jul-20
Ermine 07-Jul-20
Empty Freezer 07-Jul-20
carcus 07-Jul-20
CFMuley 08-Jul-20
Ucsdryder 08-Jul-20
02-Jul-18
Two questions keep popping up regarding these heads.

1. Deflection on angled shots 2. If a single broken blade will cause the second blade to fold back into the ferule.

Here is the response from the GM of sevr heads. It all makes sense to me. Also, he responded within an hour of my initial email saying he’d get back to me next week and responded today. Great customer service should always be recognized!

The first question you posed makes sense with the many regular non-pivoting mechanical broadhead designs out there because blade breakage among other designs is fairly common. When the regular non-pivoting blade hits a bone one of the 4 scenarios must occur:

1 - Break the bone and continue on through the animal (which is what we all hope happens and is a good outcome) 2 - Deflect off the bone which may cause the arrow to deviate from its intended course 3 - Bend the blade (Not a problem in my opinion as it can still cut effectively.) 4 - Breaks the blade.

With the SEVR design, a head-on hit will still break the bone (#1) but SEVR’s locking-pivoting blade virtually eliminates deflection (#2). #3 can and will happen with all broadheads. Personally I would rather see a blade bend rather than break. A bent blade is still a cutting blade.

Non-pivoting broadhead designs are not good at managing blade breakage. Hit something extremely hard and the shock-load put on the blade and ferrule all come at once and it is extreme! When this happens, the blades can either bend or break. However, the SEVR locking blade design uses 2 bent locking tabs on the back of the blade that overlap and lock the blades open. In extreme circumstances this design also allows the tabs to “override” in such a way that the blades will interlock and expend the ferrule slightly. This acts as a shock absorber to prevent blade breakage that can occur in other designs. We have tested this extensively with the most severe tests we could devise and nearly every competitor head had some sort of blade or ferrule breakage. However, to this day, not 1 SEVR blade has broken in these same tests.

We have gone to great lengths to eliminate the possibility of blade breakage in the first place. Of course, we can’t account for every possible situation. But even if you did somehow break a blade, the deployment tab on the remaining blade would force the remaining blade to open, achieving a 1” one-blade deployment! To prove this, we shot SEVR into ballistic gel with just one blade installed (see image attached) so you can see what this looks like.

The long story short—The SEVR Titanium 2.1 is designed to virtually eliminate blade breakage, but even if it did happen, it will still open and create an effective wound.

To your second question, we have tested SEVR on 45 degree quartering shots into plywood and had no problems with the heads deflecting. We feel that the SEVR is going to perform adequately for any ethical bow-hunting shot situation.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Clint Warner General Manager SEVR Broadheads

02-Jul-18

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Here the picture of the single blade head..

I asked if he had a video or pictures of the plywood shot at an angle. I’ll let everyone know what he comes up with.

02-Jul-18
Is this company brand new or have they been building other broadheads or other gear in the past?

02-Jul-18
The physical address is the same as Easton and Beman . The heads are the revamped ulmer edge.

02-Jul-18
New company but not new Broadhead. It’s the new improved Ulmer Edge and apparently owned by Easton

02-Jul-18
Thanks for posting Uscdryder....good info!

03-Jul-18
Good info..thanks!

03-Jul-18
Thanks for the info. I knew it's the new ulmer edge I just couldn't find any info on the company. Easton and beaman are not exactly new kids on the block.

03-Jul-18
Thanks for posting. That is excellent information and it looks like Sevr has already covered the obvious bases.

04-Jul-18
What a hunk of junk.

04-Jul-18
All mechanical heads have advantages and disadvantages.

So do non-mechanical heads.

For the type of bows I shoot, mechanicals offer fewer advantages and some significant disadvantages and are thus not a good choice. Therefore I use different types of broadheads that are more effective with my setups.

These broadheads can be very effective with the right bow and arrow setup, though. It is so awesome to have the choices we do for equipment these days!

There is nothing gained by categorically calling them “a hunk of junk”.

04-Jul-18
"There is nothing gained by categorically calling them “a hunk of junk”."

There is if you are part of the elite crowd...

04-Jul-18
I agree with Treeline! Well said. I shoot the old muzzys but have nothing bad to say of others. Used to bad mouth mechanicals but not anymore. They have proved themselves over and again.

04-Jul-18
Well said treeline. I’ve never shot a mechanical but am considering putting 2 in my quiver for antelope and possibly elk in the right situation, assuming I find a head I’m confident in. That being said I’m shoot 82lbs at 28.5” with a 555gr arrow.

Regarding trial’s post...some people do a great job of making themselves look ignorant without anybody else’s help...

04-Jul-18
Big holes make for short blood trails. With your setup, an expandable should be fine. Elk are big and can push the limits of weaker heads so you would want a good quartering away or broadside shot and that is very doable with patience. Good luck!

05-Jul-18
They are poorly designed, and that design leads to them to taking odd paths once inside of animals. Not enough "point" in front of the blade axis to lead/hold the head on course once it starts meeting resistance.

05-Jul-18
The elite crowd, thats ridiculous. I shoot mechs at times for some game. I killed a Caribou and deer with mechs last year. Hunk of junk is a good description. Break a blade on these and the remainder is flaping around unsuorrted. Thats about a piss poor idea for a broadhead you can come up with.

05-Jul-18
I think the weird angles after impact have more to do with the swing blades than the point length. If point lengthen front of the blades is a factor, as Elkman thinks, then I think we’d see this effect on many COC heads that have been around for decades.

I shot one deer with the Ulmer Edge. Arrow hit the animal broadside and when it exited it went up at a prettty steep angle.

05-Jul-18

Ucsdryder's Link
trial did you read the response? The tabs keep them straight even if a blade breaks. I would assume it’s bexause the tab isn’t sharpened so it’s going to create more dry than the sharp blade. There’s a picture as well in case reading comprehension is a struggle. If you want to sound intelligent, buy a head, shoot it, and then give your feedback. To give your feedback on a head that hasn’t even been released yet is dumb.

Here’s a video showing the exact opposite elkman. Actually the deflecting head looks like a rage. The irony! Haha

It gets so tiring hearing the same guys who have an affiliation with a product bash the competition. Go buy the head, shoot it extensively and then let us know your opinion based on fact, not because you get some free truck stickers from rage...

https://youtu.be/v-7Do8q-bOI

05-Jul-18
^^^ but it's kind of hard to give an honest and objective synopsis when you already hold a bias, or grudge in this case...

05-Jul-18
Your response is a video from from the manufacturer of the product, really unbiased info there. How many takes did it take to shoot that frame perfect?

I have plenty of experience with the orginals, which were also junk as well. When they worked they were excellent when they didnt it was total failure.

05-Jul-18
What's"plenty of experience"? I killed a pile (20+) critters with the ulmers and know some absolute killers that loved em. All total between myself and friends well over 100 animals killed with em and no bad reports. No bias. Just facts

05-Jul-18
Otcwill, cmon man facts and stats is what you’re gonna back up your claim... better off believing “fake news” ;-)

05-Jul-18
I shot a grizzly bear, Roosevelt elk, two black bears, two whitetails, a Coues deer and a blacktail with the Ulmers. They worked fine....were not super sharp due to the single bevel but you can touch them up. I used the 100 gr regular thread variety. Using a 60-65# bow with relatively light arrows (Goldtip 55-75 Hunters at 385 grs) I got penetration out the far side with the Blazer vanes retaining the arrow in the animal in most cases I didn't hit the far shoulder. Had a pass-through on a few too. They were incredibly accurate with great flight....just like field points and easy to lock the blades and test each arrow, which was a good idea with the Goldtip Hunters that I had.

That said, I prefer 3-blade heads and have moved on from the Ulmers. Good luck this fall!

14-Jul-18
Got my Sevrs in yesterday evening.

First impression, they are a very quality head. Sharp and they are going to open extremely easy.

I have one complaint in that the blades are ever so slightly exposed when closed. Locking them down in practice mode looks to me like blades would dull but that is not a deal breaker for me.

14-Jul-18

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Forgot the pics

14-Jul-18
Mine arrived today

15-Jul-18
It is interesting to note that mechanical heads appear to be getting wider and wider when closed for flight. Almost like fixed heads!

15-Jul-18
A lot of people liked the Ulmers. I tried the Ulmers on a couple animals. One mule deer it performed as expected. On another animal (javalena) I too had weird arrow path thru the animals.

The sevr looks good thou. I like the titanium ferrel. And designed by Ulmer one of the best bowhunters to ever walk the earth. It Does have a pretty flat angle of the blades?

15-Jul-18
Yes it does Ermine. I believe this head is an improvement on the original but the large cut and blade angle make it suspect at best for elk. Supposedly it is believed that we would see the smaller niche 1.5" less acute blade angle in the future but the market is determining the 2" cut for whitetails.

As far as the blade angle too....I'm not worried on deer as there is no way these things Rob as much energy as a Killzone and they have been my favorite mechanical and a favorite of many.

15-Jul-18
If the originals were so great, why did they stop making them? The angle on that head looks too steep for my liking. Good luck, I'll stay with my fixed blade.

15-Jul-18
That's different! First head looked like a hypodermic in the video. Almost every time a mechanical thread shows up there are guys who mention they'd shoot em at deer, antelope,smaller stuff,but don't have confidence in them for elk ,moose,ect. Which is smart imo I'll stick to the Exodus,and Magnus, same performance every time every animal.

15-Jul-18
PECO- the originals had to stop because of some patent issue and trophy taker stopped producing them because of the patent issue.

15-Jul-18
Anybody shoot them yet? Let’s hear it.

16-Jul-18

16-Jul-18
Do they make noise in flight?

16-Jul-18
Thanks Ermine, got it.

16-Jul-18
I shot them tonight...fly perfectly, as you can imagine with such a low profile.

16-Jul-18
I agree with Tree Line... .

16-Jul-18
I’m still shooting the Ulmers (bought 3 dozen when heard of patent issue), and have had nothing but great success! I’ve killed 6 bulls anywhere from 10 to 65 yards, two mountain goats, and countless antelope and deer.....not all have been pass through, but definitely the majority have. I don’t remember a single animal going more than 100 yards.

I’ve never noticed any crazy arrow deflections upon entry, and have never had a blade break. Like I said though I’ve only killed about 30 animals with them so I guess it could still happen.

Like I stated earlier, these results were all with original Ulmer heads and I’ll be ordering my dozen SEVR heads here shortly.

16-Jul-18
I find it hard to believe there is any "hydro-planing" through organs (heart and/or lung) with these heads due to the blades being more forward once deployed than other designs. If that happens, there is some other dynamic involved.

16-Jul-18
I shot mine too. They fly tremendously. Looks like a winner to me. Also...it doesn't seem as if the blades dull much though practicing but the jury is still out on that as far as I am concerned.

16-Jul-18
How sharp are they? Sharp...stupid sharp...stupid scary sharp?

17-Jul-18
They are sharp. They definitely don't suffer like the original Ulmers did. I didn't focus a whole lot on how sharp they were, just that initially I was not disappointed in the sharpness. Let me look at them closer tonight and get a better idea of how sharp they are.

17-Jul-18
Definitely a lot sharper than the original ulmer head. I loved the concept but wouldn’t use the originals because blades seemed dull when compared to other heads. I think these new ones will get a try for antelope.

17-Jul-18
I'll be hunting lopes with the Sevr too.

17-Jul-18
As far as the sharpness, I was slightly disappointed, you can't drag them across your finger nail (they'll catch) but the one i opened won't shave hair...Still I'm satisfied with the construction and packaging...Can't wait to stick one in an antelope next month!

30-Jul-18
Ordered up some of these for an elk hunt in the fall. Keep going back and forth between a fixed and these for my first elk hunt. Would y'all have any hesitance taking these into elk country shootin 70# and around 500 grains?

30-Jul-18
Saw a thread on AT where he shot it at plywood and it bent the hell out of it compared to all the rest. I figured it would be tougher then that.

30-Jul-18
I have several elk tags that’ll be filled with SEVR heads.....if they work half as well as original Ulmers tracking won’t be needed!

31-Jul-18
The video of the broadheads "hitting the bone" actually hurt their argument. The broadhead that deflected off the bone had a considerable more devastating wound channel than the Sevr did.

02-Aug-18
I have both the NEW and Old in hand. Having arrowed 30+ critters ,(6 elk) with originals. I prefer the originals in every aspect especially the 1.5" cut. The only gripe I had with originals was lack of penetration . Most passed through, but stopped at the fetching. The New Sever is similar in many aspects , but with the wider cut will accentuate the penetration flaw of it's predecessor. I hope they come out with a steeper angle 1.5" or less soon.

02-Aug-18
I just recieved a package of them in the mail. They could have cut the price by 2 bucks a piece by just cutting out the fancy packaging.

02-Aug-18
"Ordered up some of these for an elk hunt in the fall. Keep going back and forth between a fixed and these for my first elk hunt. Would y'all have any hesitance taking these into elk country shootin 70# and around 500 grains?" Just do yourself a favor and get a fixed blade

12-Oct-18
Anyone take any critters with these yet? How did they do, would you use again? Pictures of entry/exit, blood trails, and the head after the shot would all be good. Jeff

12-Oct-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Shot this guy with one last month. Frontal shot at 10 steps. Broadhead wound up hitting a rib. No damage to head or blades just touched them up and back in the quiver. Big hole with tons of blood, he made it about 80 yards down the mountain. He would of made it farther but the tree stopped him. Pic is how I found him.

12-Oct-18
Scrappy, great job! Could you tell if the head did what it was supposed to do and pivot around the bone? How far did the arrow go in? Jeff

12-Oct-18
Nicely done Scrappy!!!

Mark

12-Oct-18
Jpayne I didn't open up the chest cavity to look. When I was skinning that side I found where the broad head had come out of the chest cavity but not through the hide. The arrow had went in up to the fletching.

14-Oct-18
Anyone else killing any critters with these or am I the only killer on this thread?

14-Oct-18
Solo scrappy. I saw a video on Instagram and I saw the head and it looked different. In the comments the guy said it was a sevr. I have been very intrigued since then. maybe not this year because I have at least 7 heads right now ready to go. But may be next year. Jeff

15-Oct-18

Billyvanness 's embedded Photo
Billyvanness 's embedded Photo
Frontal shot...huge hole and devastating result. Went back to my slick trick for elk.

15-Oct-18
I had the same result on an Antelope as Billy above, frontal shot, mega entrance hole, dead in 10 seconds. My hunting buddy and I were impressed.

05-Feb-19
TTT

05-Feb-19
Need a rage in cage

08-Feb-19
Rumor has it they are coming out with multiple heads this year and 125gr is coming. There’s going to be a 1.5” head with swept back blades. This head should be an elk slayer.

06-Jun-19

What do you hardcore mechanical guys think about this option? Is 1.5” too small, defeating the purpose of a mechanical, which is usually a large cut? I like the option of practicing with these...

07-Jun-19
"defeating the purpose of a mechanical"

I always thought the purpose of the mechanical was to have better flight, long range accuracy and less wind drift. Personally I saw the large cut as a disadvantage. I guess for 20yd tree stand whitetail guys shooting 70 lbs in a dense forest, want large cuts and big blood to help tracking. So, I like the option for a 1.5" cut, for western shooting and elk where penetration is a benefit. Randy Ulmer is a western long range bowhunter....

07-Jun-19

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
So in general I like the Broadhead, and I think I may buy a few. I think I read the whole thread and didn’t notice anyone else mention it (I could be wrong). But does it not bother anyone else that the “opening arms” actually appear to protrude past the cutting surface of the blade? In every pic on their website it appears that way. I don’t know if I can live with that, maybe I’m mistaken or just how the pics are taken, so correct me if I’m wrong.

—Jim

07-Jun-19
I bought a dozen at the total archery challenge last year and used them on my Arizona elk hunt. After several hard days of hunting i finally got my opportunity. Big body 5x5 at an even 35 yards, elk was perfectly broadside. my arrow hit perfect dead center top to bottom 8 inches back from front leg crease .Hit was verified when i finally found him I knew i was in trouble right away when he took off that i only got maybe 8 inches of penetration. My set up was 62lbs prime century hybrid with 385 grain black eagle carnivore arrow with the 50 grain brass insert and the sevr head. All i can say is i only got one lung verified when i cut his rotting body open to find out and he had made it 650 yards . it took me all that night and all the next day to find him only had blood for about 100 yards . He was coyote bait and bloated in the Arizona sun as i tagged him and cut off the rack and walked away totally disgusted with myself for trying that broadhead. My family needed that elk this year and all i needed was another 4 or 5 inches of penetration. So please don't buy into that crap of those dull winged tips don't affect anything and if you hit something they will swivel right past. I have also blamed myself and have went to 68lbs bow weight and a 465 grain arrow and the muzzy mx3 head for my elk set up from now on, I learned the hard way.

07-Jun-19
Casper what was your total arrow weight including the head?

08-Jun-19
With your setup I’m not sure any big cutting head would have been great, mechanicals are growing on me I’m really liking the looks of the 1.5 sevr but I think arrow weight and draw weight both need to be on the high end when you mix large cuts and elk.

08-Jun-19
JT, it is just a picture and I cannot imagine the opening arm would lead the opposing blade when penetrating an animal. Having said that, it appears that the resistance required to keep a blade open on one side requires the resistance of the opening arm on the other side, which seems contrary to maximizing penetration.

Having said all that, I've had 20+ of great performance from Vortex which is a Bowsite sponsor and don't feel the need to try something new.

08-Jun-19
JTreeman , I was wondering the exact same thing. Why would you want to cover a portion of the cutting surface with those knobs. I am now a firm believer in more arrow weight than you think you need with an indestructible head up front to drive through anything in its path. Shoulder, leg Etc. if you can’t shoot through a shoulder blade, your arrow isn’t heavy enough and the head isn’t tough enough. IMO

21-Jun-19

Ucsdryder's Link
I think I’m going to give the 1.5” a whirl.

07-Jul-20

They just came out with a 2.0 head. They fixed the blade angle issues. Looks like it could be a viable option for mechanical guys.

07-Jul-20
I had some bad experiences with the ulmer edge. I know it’s different than the sevr but very similar in design.

07-Jul-20
I tried them on targets and it seemed the blades design wasnt my deal. Sturdy head with heavy blades, seems very well made. But, I am sticking with my Vortex.

07-Jul-20
I bought some 1.5s and sold them, seems if the blades arnt hitting equal density tissue you will only half the cut

08-Jul-20

CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
CFMuley's embedded Photo
I killed a turkey, a small bull elk, and a buffalo with them last year. I watched them all die in seconds.

08-Jul-20
Cf, what heads did you use for each? You did that buffalo a favor. He wasn’t going to get any ladies! Lol.

• Sitka Gear