Pete In Fairbanks 08-Jul-18
osage 08-Jul-18
Bill Obeid 08-Jul-18
Forest bows 09-Jul-18
Eric Vaillancourt 09-Jul-18
Mauritian 09-Jul-18
Providerrick 25-Jul-18
05-Jul-18
Going to Africa soon, any suggestions for this trip regarding travel tips, airline, equipment, anything.

05-Jul-18
If you’re going to South Africa, take extra time and visit Kruger Park for at least a few days.

05-Jul-18
Check the current and past threads on the subject. There is a wealth of info available to you.

Enjoy the adventure.

05-Jul-18
Don't shoot the black giraffe.

05-Jul-18
OK. I'm sorry but that's funny. LMAO!

05-Jul-18
Sasol bird identification app.

05-Jul-18
Bring a couple of trail cameras.

05-Jul-18

Huntcell 's Link
As of April 2018 the travel alert to SA has been raised to level 2 YELLOW as the countries political and social order degrades towards 3rd world status.

You should be fine as long as you stay in direct contact with your tour guides and PH. Can’t wait for plethora of trophy photos. They sure do a great job of positioning the animals for photos.

06-Jul-18
A neck pillow for flight and make sure and buy your own snacks and drinks for plane.If they are doing you laundry everyday don't pack more than you need

06-Jul-18
Shoot a black giraffe if you want, but don’t splatter it all over social media. I could have shot one, but was not interested in doing so.

One thing I found useful was a voltage converter for my I phone. It plugged into the cig lighter in the PH truck. It converted 12v to 110 v. I plugged my I phone into that to and from blinds and kept it charged for pics and texting. Cost about $20.

06-Jul-18
If you will be sitting in hides (blinds), be sure to bring a butt pad. It will save your butt. A book or app for bird identification is a great way to enjoy slow times in the hide. A good camera with optical zoom will provide much better wildlife photos than a phone.

06-Jul-18
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

06-Jul-18
An adapter for 220V to 110V. All the outlets are 220V.

06-Jul-18
Delta Flights 200 & 201 direct from Atlanta in to JNB. Think carefully about your list of animals and set a budget. When you get to Africa, throw your list away and let the arrows fly. You can worry about finances when you get home.

06-Jul-18
Of all the things I bought for our recent trip, the one thing I did not think about getting was an Ozonics device for scent control. Wind shifts a lot, at least where we were at, and that $400 would have been money well spent. Our PH has a group hunting with him now and they were bringing one with them. He told me that if it worked, he was going to buy it from them to use himself on future hunts. I'll have one in my gear bag in the very near future.

06-Jul-18
Take a power strip for all pug ins .carry your own bags at airport

06-Jul-18

kscowboy's Link
Here is a thread on another message board that I started after seeing something similar on here. There are a lot of guys on "The Fire" who hunt multiple countries over there, so there is a lot of insight.

Good luck!

06-Jul-18

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Drive By in Kruger
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Drive By in Kruger
Study your intended species very well. Image search on Google to see the kind of variety common within each species, plus view SCI's top ten for references of trophy size. Ask plenty of questions of your PH if you are unsure and practice judging them all. There are some great discussions of all this on Africanhunting.com. I like to get a visual image cemented in my mind of the size and character of each which I would consider shooting, while considering what is realistic for the area, subspecies, etc. Do some homework on the potential game you might hunt. It always helps. I would talk to your taxidermist also before going. He will have some pointers you can relay to your PH and the DP which is also discussed on the website mentioned under "Taxidermy". Bring a small sewing or steel tape and record key measurements of each if you can. Take lots of closeup photos (all angles) of your animals for your taxidermist. Cameras with at least a 10x optical zoom will give you closeups of the multitude of animals and birds that you will see out around the water and in bushveld. Bring a good pair of binos for the blind (8x40 or 10x40). I also like to set up a lightweight HD digital video recorder in the blind. Some blinds have ported shelves others you may need to set up a small tripod. It's always good to review your shots and enjoy it all when home. Keep a notepad handy and write up what you see & do each day. Sometimes this is good to go back to (my memory sucks sometimes). Most good bowhunting operations will have comfortable chairs in their blinds with one or more cushions but bringing a small pad is probably good if you end up in some other situation like a makeshift or popup blind, or using some other property owner's blind which is not equipped as well. Be open minded on game species you are currently not familiar with. You might be surprised that you end up liking something not initially considered. Remember, it's all so much fun that you will very likely return, so keep that in mind. If you don't connect with a much sought after trophy on your first go-round, don't stress, there will be a next trip. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself way too much, so start saving and planning! :D

06-Jul-18
I took a large bag of Hershey's Kisses and they were well received. I also took gifts for the staff and their children. Any archery equipment you want to leave behind will be also well received as it is VERY expensive over there.

TMBB

06-Jul-18

Keith in colorado's Link
Use the Afton Safari lodge in Joberg, even for transfers, they are worth every penny! Will meet you at the airport and keep customs scammers away from you coming and going! Plus, if you need to spend the night in Joberg they are highly recommended!

06-Jul-18
When you go to check in at Joburg airport... if someone try’s to help you with your bags... tell them “I am fine and do not need your help”

Believe me... they will try. And most people think they work for the airport until they try and extort $100 from you.

Just say NO lol

07-Jul-18
Before you make your trip, go on youtube and watch the Bowhunting Africa- IMPACT series for some of the best video advice on shot placement. Time well spent ! Even better if you ignore the Rage broadhead part. IMO.

07-Jul-18
Here's another tip. Do not put optics, cameras, GoPro's etc in your checked bags. The honorable people working at JNB airport will probably help themselves to it. Store your electronics & cameras with you on your carry-on bag. I witnessed the ruination of a trip to Africa when a fellow hunter realized the thieves in JNB stole his cameras. The airport will probably be your worst experience in Africa. Once you leave JNB, the country is great.

07-Jul-18
Double post.

08-Jul-18

Eric Vaillancourt's embedded Photo
Eric Vaillancourt's embedded Photo
I am headed home from South Africa later today. Things I wish I had brought or put in my day pack.

Advil Sun screen Chapstick Sun Rype fruit bars Bow wax Black tape Sasol bird app for phone Shower shoes Power converter

I took this Cape buffalo at 31 yards with one arrow through the heart. He went about 60 yards and fell over. Another great trip,

08-Jul-18
Saline nose spray Sunglasses Spare reading glasses

I lost a pair of sunglasses and ran over a pair of reading glasses. Luckily, I had spare ones in my brief case.

Download “WhatsApp” for communicating back home. It works for text, phone, and video phone and is free anywhere you have WiFi or uses your data plan. Very inexpensive and effective.

08-Jul-18
Eric, nice bull, who did you hunt with?

08-Jul-18
Super bull- congrats.

08-Jul-18
Very nice buff Eric and a great shot as well!! Where did you hunt?

08-Jul-18
I hunted with Stephen Venter near Colesberg.

08-Jul-18

Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
After multiple safaris, I have come to appreciate the use of "sock savers." Otherwise known as "short gaitors." Great for keeping weed seeds and sand out of your boots and socks.

Also, I recommend taking not only a good camera, but a SECOND camera as backup. The telephoto control on my main camera took a crap on me on about the 3rd day of a 2 week trip one time. I was glad I had a $150 back up camera.

Remember, photos are a lot cheaper than trophy fees and taxidermy work and dip/pack and shipping and ...!

Pete

08-Jul-18
Don't shoot anything named Cecil.

08-Jul-18
I’d take a big lens...rent or borrow one if you don’t have one. And a window mount for your camera , if you visit the park.

09-Jul-18
Arrows

09-Jul-18
Starbucks instant coffee packets

09-Jul-18
Bring 2 of everything. Especially your bow. If something goes wrong, it’s always nice to have a backup. Oh, Chapstick for sure. Enjoy Africa, i’m at the airport on my way home, and wish I had a few more days ahead of me.

25-Jul-18
Make sure you have lighted sight pins. There is little if any light in the blinds andd pins can be dark.i had to make my own with a hat clip on light to cast light on the fiber optics and tape over it do only the pins lit up. It worked but lighted pins are a must

• Sitka Gear