Mathews Inc.
How often do you replace your bowstring?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
mn_archer 09-Jul-18
Dale06 09-Jul-18
Shawn 09-Jul-18
Anschutz 09-Jul-18
oldgoat 09-Jul-18
wyobullshooter 09-Jul-18
Russell 09-Jul-18
IdyllwildArcher 09-Jul-18
Brotsky 09-Jul-18
mn_archer 09-Jul-18
Trial153 09-Jul-18
spike78 09-Jul-18
CCOVEY 09-Jul-18
trophyhill 09-Jul-18
Bou'bound 09-Jul-18
huntabsarokee 09-Jul-18
drycreek 09-Jul-18
elkmtngear 09-Jul-18
Buffalo1 09-Jul-18
carcus 10-Jul-18
SBH 10-Jul-18
JW 10-Jul-18
mn_archer 10-Jul-18
Owl 10-Jul-18
Owl 10-Jul-18
'Ike' (Phone) 10-Jul-18
Pigsticker 10-Jul-18
Kurt 10-Jul-18
kentuckbowhnter 10-Jul-18
Will 10-Jul-18
Will 10-Jul-18
09-Jul-18
Pretty self explanatory, just curious how long you guys wait or how often you replace your bowstrings under normal practice and hunting use

thanks

michael

09-Jul-18
Every 2-3 years I replace cables and string. I do keep mine well waxed.

09-Jul-18
After 2 or 3 years as I don't shoot a lot due to a real bad left shoulder. When I shot a lot then every year. I believe this will be my 3rd year with this bow and I will change cables and string after thus season . Shawn

09-Jul-18
I am about the same as Dale and wax it liberally as well.

09-Jul-18
Make my own, so whenever I think I need to or want too! Getting really fuzzy or noisy or I want a new color combo!

09-Jul-18
Every 2yrs.

09-Jul-18
When the end servings start separating or I can't keep it in tune.

09-Jul-18
When it looks like it's going to snap.

09-Jul-18
Every 2 years, depends upon how much I've been shooting. 2-3 years is a good rule of thumb, just watch it for wear.

09-Jul-18
ike,

I said bowstrings not girlfriends...

09-Jul-18
I usually have two or three bows I am rotating through, if I keep one that long I can get three years on a well built set.

09-Jul-18
Going on 5 years with the Elite and they are looking not so healthy.

09-Jul-18
every year. Sometimes go two seasons if there isnt any serving separation and they look good.

09-Jul-18
I use to replace them 2-3 years but now I replace when they have either creeped to the point they are too long for my bow, which doesn't happen much any more, or they are damaged or frayed in a way that makes me think there is risk of failure...which also doesn't happen much. I have a WC that has 5 seasons on it now.

09-Jul-18
If I tune my bow and reset the peep after a couple hundred shots, and the peep won't stay put, then I will change strings.

09-Jul-18
Sometimes I change bows before strings. Three years is about it for me on a string set though

09-Jul-18
I have been replacing them every year the last few years if they need it or not. I did decide this weekend I was going to skip replacing them this year since I didn't shoot very much this off season.

09-Jul-18
When they look like they need it.

09-Jul-18
I seem to wear them out every 2 years, regardless of waxing them regularly.

I shoot a lot :^/

09-Jul-18
3 yrs max for string and cables. Save old set as a backup should I need.

10-Jul-18
elk and moose hunting is hard on strings, im lucky to get 2 seasons, just put a new set on my rpm 360 yesterday, now the tuning begins

10-Jul-18
Sounds like everyone is about the same with a few exceptions. Not to hijack....but has anyone ever had one actually break?

10-Jul-18
Every year, but I shoot a lot.

10-Jul-18
so you guys are thinking my string and cable that's 10 years old is due for an upgrade then....

michael

10-Jul-18
not necessarily. Does it look damaged? Is it still the right length? I believe people change a lot of strings and cables that don't really need it. On the other hand when I'm planning a big hunt......I pay attention to details like that. I don't want something happening on the road and have to use my field bow press. pain the butt working on your bow in the field.

10-Jul-18
Some folks upgrade so often, I bet quite a few would say, “Never.”

Me, I color coordinate my strings to the season so they stay fresh under threat of fashion faux pas.

10-Jul-18
When my brother briefly resurrected his archery interests, he shot an old Bear Whitetail II. Must have been over 20 years old at the time with the original string. Because it was still intact and he is incredibly cheap, he shot with it quite a bit. I think he took a bear with it before laying it back down. He never changed the string thereby proving what an idiot I can be.

10-Jul-18
Only when I feel it’s time and I shoot pretty much all year long....Wax, check for wear spots and serving, just regular stuff...

10-Jul-18
Not nearly as often as above average. I have bow checked out every year but strings normally 5 to 7 years.

10-Jul-18
Had a bowstring break when the bow was hung up.....PSE XLR900 that was a finger shot bow. The string looked good but failed right under the nock. Only one that failed that I didn't nick with a broadhead or abrade the heck out of in the slide rock.

10-Jul-18
i have only replaced one string i think since the early 80's when i started bow hunting. i keep my strings well waxed and i shoot a lot and get several years out of a set of cables and strings. had a baracuda string replaced at about 8 years old because a strand let go once.

10-Jul-18

10-Jul-18

• Sitka Gear