BIG BEAR 11-Jul-18
bchunter2 11-Jul-18
BIG BEAR 11-Jul-18
Franklin 13-Jul-18
Dumgrunt 15-Jul-18
10-Jul-18

Bwana's embedded Photo
Bwana's embedded Photo
I was invited to go on my first bear hunt early last month and was lucky enough to take a beautiful bear with my bow.

I want to get the bear mounted but am not sure exactly how I want it done yet. I'm currently leaning towards a 1/2 body or shoulder mount without the typical snarl pose, I prefer the natural look.

Anyone willing to share pictures of their mounts to give me ideas? Also, any suggestions on a taxidermist in North Dakota or one of the surrounding areas that has experience with mounting bears that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any insight you folks can provide.

10-Jul-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I’m a big fan of shoulder mounts...not finished yet And congratulations on your bear!

10-Jul-18

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
Here are a couple half bodies I had done a while back.

J&K Taxidermy in Fargo, and Dakota Taxidermy in Bismarck and two of the best.

10-Jul-18
Congrats! Damn that second bear is a hammer!

10-Jul-18

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
Great bear , congratulations! My taxidermist and my wife talked me into getting a full body mount for my bear from last season . Just under 400lbs , 21" skull. Really glad I did ! If it's a matter of expense, have it tanned and then save up the cash for full mount. I'm not a big fan of the snarling mouth thing either.

10-Jul-18

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo

10-Jul-18
I think lifesize bears should be reserved for the biggest of bears..... I know of more than one guy who had a lifesize mount done on a medium sized bear that were very disappointed..... I would get a rug done on your bear... but that’s just me... That’s a tank Hammer !!!

11-Jul-18
My humble two cents....for your first bear of that size, I would recommend a rug. As BB noted above, if you keep bear hunting you will eventually get a biggun. My first was a rug. My second was a big one at 340lbs and I got a full body mount thinking I would never get a bigger one. Well.....the bear Gods were with me last year and I got one a heck of alot bigger but didn't want two full body mounts of blacks. I was hoping to get a color full body mount but that will be for another hunt. I have the real big one tanned and if I ever change my mind I can go back and do a full body on him.

11-Jul-18
Some dandy bears here and some good advice. Please keep it coming.

Has anyone ever done a wall pedestal before?

11-Jul-18
Rug it with black on black felt

First bears are special but they are usually not last bears and if there are more they will be bigger

11-Jul-18

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
BIG BEAR's embedded Photo
Rugs by Nancy does a nice embroidery on the back of your rug.... they advertise in Bear Hunting Magazine. They are in Michigan but take shipments.... I like black on black felt too........

11-Jul-18

bchunter2's embedded Photo
bchunter2's embedded Photo
Here is a medium size bear

11-Jul-18
That’s a really cool mount !!!

13-Jul-18
Depends on your space and where you are going to put it. Habitats or bases take up a lot of space. Shoulder or 1/2 mounts are fine but make a bear look smaller. 3/4 uprights show off more of the bear almost in a vertical look which can show off that nice white crescent on his chest. The arms would be more natural in a hanging position with mouth closed. As if he just stood up to wind something.

I also am not a "snarl" pose guy. Most bears are shot with popcorn...jelly and donut glaze on their face than in "attack mode"....lol

15-Jul-18

Dumgrunt's embedded Photo
Dumgrunt's embedded Photo
I did a half body. It turned out really nice.

• Sitka Gear