Contributors to this thread:
Steve H. 11-Jul-18
BroMan 11-Jul-18
Topgun 30-06 11-Jul-18
Steve H. 12-Jul-18
Topgun 30-06 12-Jul-18
Steve H. 12-Jul-18
11-Jul-18
I intend to cash in my modest amount of elk (7) and antelope (5) points for the 2019 season and have a couple of questions on the drawing process. I've spent umpteen hours trying to sort out what areas to apply for looking at the past several year's NR drawing odds, etc.

What happens to my application if I apply for a hunt that takes 7 elk points THIS year but a change in quota or folks cashing in points next year drives that tag to 8 points? Would I likely draw a 2nd choice tag if they were still available (for instance a 5 point area) or does the process just kick mine to the curb in favor of someone that put in for the 5 point area as a 1st choice?

Hope my question makes sense. My situation is a case of use it or loose it since I expect to be living in Wyoming next year waiting out my year in the penalty box!

11-Jul-18
It has been a few months since I looked at their system but I think the preference points are only for your first choice. You wont get a 5 point area with second choice it would have to be an area that nobody applies for as a first choice.

11-Jul-18
If you have 7 PPs for the 2019 draw and it takes 8PPs for 100% draw, you then go into the Random Draw with everyone who applied for that unit as a first choice and no points are used in that draw. However, if you happened to get lucky and draw the tag there you would lose your PPs since you drew it as your first choice. If you don't get drawn in that one, then you have to keep your fingers crossed that everyone who put in for the unit you listed as your second choice drew it on their first choice and there are tags still available. Then you would have a chance with all the others who put it as their second choice and didn't draw their first choice. That is for anyone asking the question you posed. As far as you're concerned, you want to burn your points on a first choice and to make sure of doing that before you move to Wyoming I strongly suggest that you apply for a unit that only took 5 or 6 PPs this year. That should assure that you draw that tag and lose your points to hunt a decent unit and not lose them if you move there.

12-Jul-18
Thanks Top. I may have good elk hunting on my property and adjacent to it which is under a General tag but I just haven't gotten the chance to figure that out yet since I live 3000 miles away right now. I figured I'd try and hunt somewhere with my points in 2019 where I wouldn't likely hunt after I get resettled.

12-Jul-18
Another suggestion for you. If you decide to just apply for that General tag to hunt on/near your property you'll have twice as many PPs as needed to draw that tag. Therefore, you could look for a relative or friend that has a few or no PPs and party with them to burn all 7 of your PPs and two people could go hunting. Good luck on whatever you decide! Even a person with no PPs that would party with you would give you an average of 3.5 that would still draw that General tag for two of you.

12-Jul-18
Yeah, I've been thinking about that scenario. I have a close buddy with 2 points going into 2019 so we'd have 4.5 average. It appears we could draw "that one area" we discussed by PM.

• Sitka Gear