IdyllwildArcher 19-Jul-18
'Ike' 19-Jul-18
Huntcell 19-Jul-18
JL 19-Jul-18
12-Jul-18

Huntcell 's Link
Step in right direction.

Here is portion of the article from attached link:

The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses

12-Jul-18
Wow! Trail cameras are now basically illegal in NV during hunting season given most land is public.... I’ve never used one but I’ve got a bunch of friends who will be pissed!

12-Jul-18
maybe folks will have to use woodsmanship skills like they did years ago.

12-Jul-18
About time private property is not allowed to be left on public lands. Tired of looking at game cameras and the damage done to habitat and the lawn chairs "reserving" each waterhole for 25 different hunters, many who place chairs at dozens of holes. This behavior casts a bad light on hunters and leads to vandalization and fights. Should say no hunting within 500 yards of a water hole in arid zones in order to keep the conflict down and let animals get to the water.

12-Jul-18
#followtheleader

12-Jul-18
I think we should do away with using weapons during hunting season. That’ll even the score too. Let the animals get a drink and get some food. And stay bedded without an arrow going through them.

13-Jul-18
I like it Kentucky! It’s way overdo getting back to woodsmanship and away from electronic technology.

13-Jul-18
How the hell do they expect hunters to name their animals and create a hit list? ;-)

13-Jul-18
Now that’s funny Midwest!!

13-Jul-18
+2 Kentucky

Now that is funny Midwest!

Good luck, Robb

13-Jul-18
Glad to hear it.

13-Jul-18
Nice.

13-Jul-18
I'm looking for deals on quality, near new cams. Any Nevada guys want to unload their useless gadgets?

13-Jul-18
I totally support this action.

Good on NDOW!

13-Jul-18
Yep, I agree with it. Wish they would have done the same in AZ.

13-Jul-18
Absolutely agree with this one. Would be nice to see similar rules in Arizona.

13-Jul-18
Its coming everywhere......the trail cam guys have no one to blame but themselves.

I've personally seen 18 cams on a waterhole....dang tank probably had its own website.

This might affect your coues or Javi hunt, guys scrambling to get their cameras out. They should have cut that off Feb 1.

13-Jul-18
I believe AZ is in the process of banning trail camera use for anything that has to do with hunting.... (at least those that have ability to transmit video or still photos to computers, mobile phones, etc.). It will not pertain to those cameras that you must physically access the SD cards to view. I think they may also be looking at them being a certain distance from water holes.

13-Jul-18
Nevada doesn't have Coues Whitetail or Javalina... not sure what you're trying to say... Ed F

15-Jul-18
I agree with this 100%....I personally will never use one to hunt or scout. If they want to use them on private property during the off season...fine. 30 days before any season opens they should be pulled.

15-Jul-18
I don't see the point. I've never seen anyone hunt any better regardless of how many cameras they've used. And seeing cameras on water holes just lets you know how much hunting pressure to expect. It's a law that will have virtually no impact other than to irritate people that like pictures of critters.

15-Jul-18

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Grasshopper's embedded Photo

16-Jul-18
Yeah, my hastily typed comment doesn't make sense.....

Its imminent that the other western states will follow suit...if not already. I think Montana has and I know Arizona is considering the same. If these states follow...then the only hunt that is really affected by guys still using cams is the late hunts in AZ.....I hoping they use a different cutoff date like Feb.

I applaud these regs. One outfitter told me back in 2013 that they had 900 cams setup in one unit in Arizona. It seems to me they are letting their cams do the hunting....

Its going to hurt the trophy outfitters....but help put the avg hunter on even ground.

16-Jul-18
"Good on NDOW" Agree 100%.

16-Jul-18
"Good on NDOW" Agree 100%.

18-Jul-18
LOL 900 cameras in one unit?

I don’t buy that or the story!!

100 bucks a pop for something decent and He’s flooded 1 unit with 90 grand Worth of cameras?

Even if he’s able to check 10 Of them a day, it’ll take 3 months to check them. Check 20 a day, it’ll take him a month and a half. How many guides does he have?

The story is beyond ridiculous.

18-Jul-18
I listened to a podcast with a guy from Utah who was running a hundred cams. One guy.

If one guy can do 100, I don't know why a big outfitter with bunch of guides couldn't run a lot more.

You also assume he's paying retail for them.

18-Jul-18
LOL OK.

It’s baloney.

18-Jul-18
How will it be enforced?

18-Jul-18

JL's Link
Montana had a no trail cam during hunting season rule for a long time but they recently changed the law where you can keep non-transmitting ones out. Nevada is a few years behind Montana....it will come full circle and change back to where you can use them during hunting season.

18-Jul-18
"I don't see the point. I've never seen anyone hunt any better regardless of how many cameras they've used." Totally disagree. When guys are seeing a giant buck on camera and then jumping on his track the next day and following it until they kill it, I would definitely say that changes how someone hunts. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is for sure a game changer, especially when it comes to the giants that get put on the bigger outfits 'hit-list'.

18-Jul-18
How will it be enforced?

fines, imprisonment, confiscation, indentured servitude.

18-Jul-18
"How will it be enforced?"

I assume that'd be easier than actually catching poachers in the act. COs can just confiscate them.

18-Jul-18
New revenue stream end of the year auction of confiscated trail cams. SD cards not included

18-Jul-18
JL were do you get the idea you can use trail cams in montana ? It states you can use dog tracking collars not trail cams

19-Jul-18
Guys, realistic enforcement will be difficult, at best. Take it from someone who enforced the law for 30 years. In parts of NV and most western states, the resources (game wardens) are few and far between. When you couple that with the amount of water sources throughout the area, I fear that enforcement will be limited. Example: The AZ Strip (which does NOT have a camera restriction at this time) is 5300 square miles of uninhabited country.......with one warden assigned! There are even more remote areas in Nevada.....with the same resource ratio. I understand the legislation and the need for it (abuse by some trying to profit off of the resource).....I just don't see a realistic enforcement plan. Of course, most of 'us' will follow the rules.....but MANY others will not......so what was really accomplished? I guess one benefit........you won't see any more posts from NV guys/gals complaining their cameras were stolen......at least after August 1. :)

19-Jul-18
It doesn't matter if its enforceable or not, it's a law... they addressed a squeaky wheel with a law. Advancing technology will increasingly challenge the rules of Fair Chase and F&G will become the equipment police.

IMO... there's more important things that should be addressed... like the use of radios... Ed F

19-Jul-18
Treat illegal cameras just like other trash & everyone just haul them out of the woods when they see it.

19-Jul-18
THAT would work!

19-Jul-18
In all honesty, enforcement of ALL laws is difficult. We only have so much LE. I've been driving for 25 years and have broken the speed limit probably 10s of thousands of times and have received 3 speeding tickets - and that's by CHP which is a well-oiled ticket-writing machine.

Roy, you brought up the example of the strip as a hypothetical, well, when I was on the strip, I was the only guy I saw for days and was as far in as you can be and off the beaten path and the CO still found me and checked my tag. It was the first time in years I'd seen a CO.

He's got a really nice truck and all day to do it. In a week in early August, I bet one CO could hit up a sizable amount of the water holes in 13. Enough so that if you had a hundred cameras out, it'd put a serious crimp in your pocket book.

These NV water holes are no secret. The COs know where they all are. They don't have to check them that often to have a big impact on deterrence. In all honesty, plucking game cameras would probably be low lying fruit compared with nailing poachers.

19-Jul-18
That's only if they are motivated to do so Ike! ;-)

19-Jul-18
Hmm a spike in trail cams for sale on eBay in Dec.

19-Jul-18

JL's Link
Big Dan....see the link from last year talking about the change....John

https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=233922&messages=18&state=Mt

• Sitka Gear