Inshart 17-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 17-Jul-18
Pyrannah 17-Jul-18
Joey Ward 17-Jul-18
Whocares 17-Jul-18
Pigsticker 18-Jul-18
Shawn 18-Jul-18
16-Jul-18
I am planning to bring my son up to bow hunt later this year. I want him to have an opportunity to harvest a buck, so I will purchase a buck tag for him. I planned to buy a doe tag for myself and then potentially purchase a buck tag later (if he gets his first). Is this an issue? It's not clear as to whether I am allowed to buy a doe tag for myself, then purchase a buck tag later.???

16-Jul-18
Which state?

16-Jul-18
Illinois

16-Jul-18
Ok, If you buy him the buck tag it comes with an antlerless tag as well (for him) and will cost around $430. He will also need a hunting license ($56) and a Habitat Stamp ($10).

For you:

Option 1, You can buy a hunting license for $56 , a Habitat Stamp for $10 and a Antlerless Tag for $100.

Or Option 2: You can buy the same deal as your son above and have a buck and doe tag.

If you do option 1 and subsequently want a buck tag I do not believe Illinois allows that. If they did you’d have to buy the whole package for around $500.

It’s expensive but If you can swing it buy both he and yourself the full boat from the get go. I bet he’d enjoy seeing you shoot a buck as much as you’d enjoy seeing him shoot one. Good for you making the effort to get him into archery hunting. Good luck. C

Good for you taking him hunting

16-Jul-18
What Charlie's last sentence said ! If we had a "thumb up" emoji I'd send one out......

17-Jul-18
Or, you could go hunting in a less expensive state. A 3 day non-resident archery license in VA is $177 and comes with 2 buck tags, 4 doe tags, and 2 turkeys. Some states cost less. Illinois is a very expensive state for non-residents.

17-Jul-18
Best of luck to you and your son! How old is he? I took my son along with me before he was old enough to hunt and shot two bucks while he was along...that really lit the fire in him, and he's now 30 with many deer under his belt. So to speak...lol.

He's my hunting buddy, starting out with a compound until he followed me into trad 3 years ago. Two bucks and one doe with sticks to date. We're in Wisconsin, which is a non resident friendly state also...IF you can find a spot. That's getting tough!

17-Jul-18

HuntingMom's embedded Photo
HuntingMom's embedded Photo
Thank you everyone for the feedback. We rented a lodge for 10 days and I was being a mom and trying to make it all about him. Normally, we are very competitive. I will just buy buck tags for both of us. Hope he gets a big one. Will post pics.

17-Jul-18
Rallison: He is 15. We hunt and fish religiously and are scratching off lines on our bucket lists. I try to get at least 2 trips in a year. Last year, we fly fished the Upper James River and went to Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota (the badlands) for a couple weeks. This year it's Illinois hunting and fishing in Nova Scotia. He's my youngest and the only one left home, so we are trying to cover it all! He's a great young man.

17-Jul-18
Great job - you are mom of the year!

17-Jul-18
Kudos to you, Cari! Your son is a fortunate young man, indeed!

Looking forward to your pics!

17-Jul-18
Best mom ever! Wishing you the best of luck in IL! I hope you both get a big one!

17-Jul-18
You inspire us all Huntingmom. Good parenting skills will cure a lot of societies ills.

17-Jul-18
Wow, very impressive!

17-Jul-18
Good luck

17-Jul-18
Cool thread. Good luck....

17-Jul-18
So where do we go to vote on mom-of-the-year awards?

17-Jul-18
I wish I had some property to offer the 2 of you to hunt on. Good on you!!!

17-Jul-18
GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!! X10

17-Jul-18
very cool!!! Good luck!

17-Jul-18
HuntingMom, you’re the bomb! Best of luck to you and your son. Hope to see some “hero” pics of your hunt. Thumbs up!

17-Jul-18
Thanks hunting Mom! Your story makes a guy's heart feel good.

18-Jul-18
This is so refreshing and provides hope for the future. HuntingMom you actions have been weighed and measured and found worthy.

18-Jul-18
Good for the two of you!! We need more Mom's like you to get their kids actively involved!! I hope you both kill a great buck but if not you are already successful in so many ways!! Have Fun and enjoy your time together!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear