olebuck 07-Aug-18
DEC 07-Aug-18
shiloh 07-Aug-18
pointingdogs 07-Aug-18
Tradmike 07-Aug-18
chasin wtails 07-Aug-18
db999 08-Aug-18
17-Jul-18
It seems bow hunting from enclosed box stands has become highly popular - i see it on TV a lot - i even built my own about 6-8 years ago and have taken quite a bit of game from it. i built it primarily as a spot to take my kids and family along.

it does take some of the skill out of the hunt, scent, and movement are masked as well as sound.

i am currently building an 8 sided blind with a window in each side - this blind is going in a big field that i think my kids will really enjoy hunting from.

anyone have any permanent blinds they bow hunt from besides pop ups?

17-Jul-18

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
I like this one

17-Jul-18
Yep. I build mine with cattle panels covered with indoor/outdoor carpet, then camo netting. I disagree that it takes skill out of it. You still have to know where to hunt, how to get in and out without spooking game, etc. It does take some of the chance out of it, like drawing your bow with multiple animals in front of you, managing your scent, etc. It also places you at a disadvantage in that you can’t see nearly as well what goes on around you and you can only shoot through what windows you have. It evens out.

17-Jul-18
I have one on Ks property. It stays in same location 24-7-365. Killed my biggest WT. ever in 17, from it.

17-Jul-18
My friend in Illinois has built 7 or 8 for his 1800 acres. He is mid-sixties so it’s time to plan for hunts in our 80’s:)

They are currently only used in Late December early January to help with the cold and also used for Grandkids.

17-Jul-18

Schmitty78's embedded Photo
Schmitty78's embedded Photo
Built this one for the kids, but have shot a few deer out of it myself:)

17-Jul-18
I built a box stand a couple years ago with the intention of being able to bowhunt from. It's 5x5 with vertical shooting windows in 3 of the corners. The hunter sits with his back to the 4th corner. I put netting doors on the inside that open inward and regular plywood doors that open outward for cold days or gun hunts. I also made it tall enough for a trad bow. The outer doors aren't on it yet in this picture.

17-Jul-18

JLeMieux's embedded Photo
JLeMieux's embedded Photo
Try that again.

17-Jul-18

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo

18-Jul-18

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
here is the one i am working on.

my other one is square and 6'x6'

18-Jul-18
I like that design olebuck. I built mine with observation and rainy hunts in mind and have only actually bow hunted out of it a few times. May give it a few more tries this year.

The Redneck blinds are nice!

18-Jul-18
I can't get myself to use one or a ground blind because while I believe that resident deer will get used to it I am always concerned about the traveling rutting bucks seeing it for the first time. I figure they'll avoid it and I won't get my shot. I realize piles of deer are killed from ground blinds, but most of what I hunt is thin poplar type bush and no matter what you do, she'll stick out.

30-Jul-18

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
Getting closer to finishing......

30-Jul-18
We have one like you are talking about jim and it is on one piece of drill stem. We call it the uni pod. I will try to get you some pics, or you could just drive over and look at it;)

30-Jul-18
Pat I'd love to have a Redneck if you can get me your discount!! I can get you a shipping address right away

30-Jul-18
Shiloh,

when i come to "look" can i bring my bow??

30-Jul-18
On a lot of the ones posted, I don't see how you can shoot a deer with a bow if it's inside of 20 yards with the height of the windows as high as they are.

30-Jul-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Just finished building it. Love the smell of the ceder. Have killed some good bucks out of box blinds. They are great for scent control.

30-Jul-18
OFFHUNTIN exactly. I was going to recommend to Olebuck that vary thing. If you plan on bowhunting and elevating it, you would be much better off adding a foot or two vertical to those windows and making window more narrow. Otherwise that's a very cool blind!

31-Jul-18
Anytime man....you know we grow big ones in these red dirt hills!

31-Jul-18
I would like to have put a vertical window in mine, but I can still get a 15 yard shot. Any closer and I have to wait for them to pass by and shoot from a different window

31-Jul-18
Anytime man....you know we grow big ones in these red dirt hills!

07-Aug-18

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
Finally finished mine

07-Aug-18

DEC's embedded Photo
DEC's embedded Photo
DEC's embedded Photo
DEC's embedded Photo
I built this all steel box blind 9 or 10 years ago. Still have it. I owned a crane truck at the time so setting it was a breeze. I built it for my daughters primarily to gun/muzzleloader hunt out of when they were younger. They have killed many deer out of it, but since they both have switched to bow hunting, the blind really doesn't get used these days. I didn't design the window openings to be very bow friendly. But for gun hunting, you can lay some deer out. I've personally never shot anything out of it though as I don't enjoy sitting in a box blind to kill a deer with a gun. All #14 ga sheet steel over a steel box tube frame system. 100% welded and weather tight. Fully insulated and carpeted. Tinted lexan windows slide open.

07-Aug-18
I have some insulated aluminum panels that I salvaged off of a Nissan project. They are basically 2-1/2" thick tounge and grooved. I am going to use them to build a couple boxes similar to yours. I am going to make my windows taller and try to come up with some type of folding window cover. I will probably only have 3 windows in mine. One in front and one each on the front right and left. The back of the blind will be blacked out. That's my thoughts anyway. It should basically allow for 180 deg shooting.

07-Aug-18

pointingdogs's Link
I'm building an octagon blind. Tornado took down my best oak tree and stand. No other place to post a stand so I will erect one. Very similar to these. A lot easier to build then I thought... one afternoon. I will erect it side by side once on a platform. Here is the link that was very helpful. Mine is 54" across. I will also go with the long narrow windows.

07-Aug-18

Tradmike's embedded Photo
Tradmike's embedded Photo
Just put this up for youth season and cold nasty weather.

07-Aug-18

chasin wtails's embedded Photo
chasin wtails's embedded Photo
I built a shooting house on top of a gravity flow wagon. I have a door on the opposite side to get into it with some homemade steps. I have 4 vertical windows I built myself and used a smoked plexiglass to help keep it dark inside. The other windows I added later as observation windows as it is tough to see what is around with the vertical windows only. I have had no issues with deer being leery of it as normally they are feeding 8-12 yards away as my food plot is long and narrow. Only drawback on it is that I wish it was a few feet higher but if I decide to move its ready to go.

08-Aug-18

db999's embedded Photo
db999's embedded Photo
My Dad and I built this one (sorry but this is the best picture I have) about 3 years ago and I think it's been sat only once for deer in 2 seasons. This was when we had family that wanted to go.

Neither of us do anything but bowhunt however it was built with the idea that his slew of grandkids that are going to be coming of age in the next 5-7 years can utilize it with a Rifle.

Floor sits about 8 ft off the ground and as mentioned in a few posts we have 5 total vertical slots designed to allow us to shoot as close as about 7 yards. It also has a thin slot around the whole thing horizontally that the kids should be able to rest on and shoot a rifle out of.

Being in probably one of our best locations to shoot a deer we actually put a ladder stand about 30 yards from it. IMO it just isn't as enjoyable sitting in a box if i'm by myself. Just my take.

I missed a turkey with my bow then my brother in law and I doubled up on some turkeys out of it last year all in about an hour. Next year there will be 4 of us sitting all together in it with turkey tags, bows, and maybe a BBQ.

• Sitka Gear