BigOk 05-Oct-18
mrelite 05-Oct-18
uteangler 05-Oct-18
Huntcell 06-Oct-18
BULELK1 06-Oct-18
Lovehunt11 06-Oct-18
Billyvanness 06-Oct-18
19-Jul-18
Has anyone hunted this hunt recently? I am looking for any useful information: best areas, camp site, hunting water, closet towns (gas & groceries), etc. Apparently it's a once-in-a-lifetime permit so I want to give it my all. Thank you in advance!

19-Jul-18
If you really want to give it your all, you should take a weekend and drive over there. It's only an 8-9 hour drive from Tulsa. Assuming you drew Valle Vidal as I'm assuming you're a NR from OK, pre-scouting the actual country may be impossible and perhaps someone who's hunted it can give you some info, but it certainly is a OIL tag so set yourself up for the best odds of success you can by getting to your hunt early so you're completely ready to go opening morning and hunt every day. You don't want to lose time looking for a place to camp or where to get groceries. Drive out there on a Saturday and home on a Sunday and you can have 3 places to camp and know where everything's at already so you don't lose a day figuring that out.

19-Jul-18
Damn....congrats on the tag!

20-Jul-18
Concur with Idyll, I am going to 16C for my third time and I have talked with four residents, PMd and texted several more, and talked to the forest service about camping and access points, downloaded regs, and checked on 4 wheeler use. Leave no stone unturned to try to be prepared for anything. Asking poignant questions after some research will draw better responses than generalized questions. Whenever I talk to a guide or biologist I am wanting them to confirm my thoughts because they get plenty of questions on wanting to know where the are big bulls. It always amazes me to what tidbit of information can make or break a trip.

20-Jul-18
Yes get out there and familiarize yourself with the country. The elk are not scarce there. Idk how many elk hunts you've been on but this is a OIL hunt due to the frequency of encounters and opportunities. Good luck

20-Jul-18
Unless you pack in, there are only two places to camp: Cimarron and McCrystal campgrounds.

When I went last year, I stayed at Cimarron as it was closer to where I was hunting the higher elevations.

Unless you want to get the lay of the land, scouting is pointless as there are probably more elk in that unit "per capita" than anywhere else in the state.

My hunt last year lasted 3 hours.

20-Jul-18

HDE's embedded Photo
Valle Vidal
HDE's embedded Photo
Valle Vidal
HDE's embedded Photo
Valle Vidal
HDE's embedded Photo
Valle Vidal

22-Jul-18
Fellow bowhunters - Thank you!

26-Jul-18
I am with idyllwild also on this one. for a OIL tag you need to go at least once to walk around and fall in love with that place, to plan and scheme and put it all together. leave nothing to chance and have at least one back up plan too. the valle is truly elk mans paradise.

05-Oct-18

Strider JR's embedded Photo
Strider JR's embedded Photo
Thank you again for all the helpful information. It was an incredible place. I was in bulls bugling everyday, and had seven encounters within 100yds of bulls. I connected on the lucky seventh. Safe hunting

05-Oct-18
Wow! Awesome bull Strider! I'd say you definitely made that tag count! Congrats!

05-Oct-18
Congrats, that's a beaut!

05-Oct-18
Wow! Great bull! Grats!

05-Oct-18
Holy crap, couldn't find a big un I see. Outstanding!!!

05-Oct-18
Good Lord! Congrats on a fantastic bull and more pics, please!

05-Oct-18
Very nice bull! I loved my hunt there in 2013. Wish it wasn’t OIL

05-Oct-18
Wow, congrats!!!

05-Oct-18
Yes sir that's a nice one, congrats!

05-Oct-18
Congratulations! Awesome bull!

06-Oct-18
Didn’t have any time left to find a big one?

Yoowzer Holy Molely!!!!

<~~~~~<<<< €

06-Oct-18
Holy ~~ Moly!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

06-Oct-18
Nice, Congrats

06-Oct-18
Outstanding! I had a feeling this thread would have a good ending but dang that’s a great bull!

• Sitka Gear