Elk
Contributors to this thread:
BigMo 22-Jul-18
Shawn 22-Jul-18
Michael 22-Jul-18
BigMo 23-Jul-18
COHOYTHUNTER 23-Jul-18
22-Jul-18
Over the past few years I have been buying the hunter XT arrows in 400 spine. Then last year the spine chart seemed to change and recommended the 340spine so I bought a couple dozen. Then this year the spine chart is showing a 300 or even a 250 spine. My set up has not changed in years so what’s the deal with changing the spine chart recommendations? If I still shoot the 400 or 340 spine arrows am I endanger of an arrow blowing apart? Maybe I don’t understand how the “spine chart” works? I’m hoping to learn more about this subject so please sound off! This is my set up for my mule deer and Elk hunts: Matthews Monster Chill X 30” draw 70# (maxed out) 125 gr. Solid Broadhead. (Considering changing to the Rage hyp Traipan 100gr)

22-Jul-18
JTV is correct, just as some companies have a spine chart for recurves and longbows like Easton does. Remember they are only a starting point and not set in stone. Lots of variables like arrow length,point weight and so on. Mot charts for longbows and recurves are not even close and they always err on the side of caution when recommending a spine for todays bows. Shawn

22-Jul-18
The only reason I could see going to a 300 spine is if your a 30” draw and have over 28” of carbon.

I am a 30” draw but I shoot 28” of carbon. I get by with a 340 spine and a 125 grain tip.

23-Jul-18
Thanks guys. I shoot a 30" arrow, so it falls into the 300 spine category. I'll give them a try. I was just concerned with any danger of shooting a 340 or 400 spine, but I guess it is more about flex and accuracy vs. the potential of an arrow blowing apart.

23-Jul-18
With your set up, I'd be shooting a 300 spine.. especially with 30 inch draw and putting weight on the front (when you add weight to the front, you are weakening the spine slightly).. My draw is 28.5 and I have 155 grains on the front (100 grn BH, 25 grn insert and 30 grn FACT weights). I could probably get away with a 340 spine, but I would rather spine up.. I like a stiffer arrow...

• Sitka Gear