splitlimb13 23-Jul-18
Bowfreak 24-Jul-18
Kurt 24-Jul-18
spike78 24-Jul-18
Bowfreak 24-Jul-18
stick n string 24-Jul-18
GotBowAz 24-Jul-18
23-Jul-18
Ive been shooting the new Sevr quite a bit and just took one apart to sharpen. Once I sharpened the blades, I sharpened out the little groove where the band rides to keep the blades shut. Should I try to recreate this tiny groove or is there no need? Wondering if the band covereing a sharpened blade would make it too easy to inadvertently cut the band in a quiver, etc.

23-Jul-18
Buy new blades

23-Jul-18
I'm new to mechanical heads and recently ordered some Sevr heads. I would ALWAYS touch up a blade if it wasn't razor sharp (new or not). I'll be watching for responses. Good question.

23-Jul-18
Are the Sevr blades single bevel?

23-Jul-18
How sharp do the Sevr’s come? Hunting ready?

23-Jul-18
The blades are pretty sharp but I can get them much sharper. Definitely sharper than Ulmers. They are double bevel blades.

23-Jul-18
Buy a fixed blade

24-Jul-18
What drives someone when they have no inherent knowledge on a topic to still feel compelled to comment about something unrelated?

24-Jul-18
Bowfreak, Glad they went double bevel for ease of sharpening. I’d re-establish a groove in them unless you are Sevrly (pun) compromising the blade integrity at that point. Had to say it.

Or experiment and see how tough the bands are to cut with the sharpened blades against them. Or tie dental floss bands on versus rubber bands.

As a note, I’d re-sharpen original Ulmer Edge blades converting them to double bevel so I could get them really sharp. I never worried about the groove nor did I have trouble with the blades cutting the rubber bands. YMMV

24-Jul-18
Only one way to find out is to shoot one. Or buy more and use those for practice.

24-Jul-18
Thanks Kurt. That was the type of info I was looking for.

24-Jul-18
Lol dave

24-Jul-18
Bowfreak, I have done the same thing in the past with other heads. I used one thin strand of copper wire twisted around the blades in the grove of the body where the o-ring goes. it works perfectly.

• Sitka Gear