CAMP DAVID 06-Aug-18
Mark Watkins 07-Aug-18
TrapperKayak 07-Aug-18
Pat Lefemine 07-Aug-18
23-Jul-18

Pat Lefemine's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Here's an immature lambsquarter weed that is dying from a glyfo application sprayed right over my alfalfa plot.
Here's an immature lambsquarter weed that is dying from a glyfo application sprayed right over my alfalfa plot.
Despite the warm weather and driest summer in years, I can't complain about my food plots this year. They are doing great. Starting with my Alfala which I burned off the field and started new. This is RR alfalfa and I am loving it. I have sprayed Glyfo twice and the field is nearly clean.

23-Jul-18

65 day sweet corn planted after buying a terrible batch of seed from Agway.
65 day sweet corn planted after buying a terrible batch of seed from Agway.
I had to replant my 90 day sweetcorn since the first batch of seed I bought had (maybe) 5% germination. So I lost 30 days and then went with 65 day corn. It seems to be doing well.

23-Jul-18

Kale plot was overtaking by weeds. After painstaking attempts to control weeds pre-plant. I lost and burned down the field. This is a small section that I am saving.
Kale plot was overtaking by weeds. After painstaking attempts to control weeds pre-plant. I lost and burned down the field. This is a small section that I am saving.
Its too bad I had so much weed infestation. These kale plants look good. Just no way to keep the pigweed lambsquarter and marestail from taking over the plot and going to seed.
Its too bad I had so much weed infestation. These kale plants look good. Just no way to keep the pigweed lambsquarter and marestail from taking over the plot and going to seed.
I planted Kale this year and will never plant it again. This section is 10% of my field where I tried to control the weeds by spot spraying and hand weeding. I decided to burn down the rest of the field and will plant turnips in August.

23-Jul-18

Buckwheat is off the charts.
Buckwheat is off the charts.
Side view of buckwheat.
Side view of buckwheat.
I planted buckwheat and it's doing amazing well. Only problem is a bear has been in there every evening and destroying the plot.

23-Jul-18

Dwarf Grain Sorghum
Dwarf Grain Sorghum
This year I wanted to try something new so I planted dwarf grain sorghum. So far so good. Germinated well and looks quite healthy.

23-Jul-18

New birdsfoot trefoil planting.
New birdsfoot trefoil planting.
Close up of the trefoil. It's coming up nicely and looks very similar to alfalfa.
Close up of the trefoil. It's coming up nicely and looks very similar to alfalfa.
Also new this year is Birdsfoot trefoil. I picked it for an area that is perpetually wet. It seems to be doing well however it grows very slowly. I sprayed IMOX over it and so far so good.

23-Jul-18

Blackhawk clover. New product.
Blackhawk clover. New product.
Close up of black hawk
Close up of black hawk
New this year is a clover called Blackhawk and I am amazed at how quick it germinated. It apparently can grow 3' tall. It was recommended to me by a friend and I just ordered more.

23-Jul-18

Real World Soybeans doing great again.
Real World Soybeans doing great again.
And finally, I planted my Real world soybeans again this year, only this time I did it on my recently excavated plot where the soil is not quite ideal yet. It is kicking ass as usual.

23-Jul-18
Looks great Pat!

23-Jul-18
The deer won't be going hungry this Fall, that's for sure.....

24-Jul-18
All of mine burned up. Yours look damn good though Pat. I think I need a drink.......

24-Jul-18
Pat, how do the deer like that Blackhawk? I have never heard of that clover.

24-Jul-18
Very impressive. The enjoyment you get out of that must be awesome. Congrats!

24-Jul-18
Looks great! Why sweet corn vs conventional corn, Pat?

24-Jul-18
I think I recognize that Soybean field:) Looks great!

24-Jul-18
Wow! Lookin’ good.

That’s a lot work and it sure looks good. Lookin’ forward to seeing some trail cam pics.

25-Jul-18
Grrr!! Your plots look great as usual. Ours flooded out again this year, just got some replanted last weekend. Oh well if they didn't flood they would be corn fields instead of deer cover.

25-Jul-18
Can you discuss what you are seeing for utilization. Particularly interested in the RR alfalfa.

MikeTN

25-Jul-18
Looking great Pat! You have much better results than me!

25-Jul-18

Picture just sent by Moultrie Mobile from Alfalfa plot
Picture just sent by Moultrie Mobile from Alfalfa plot
Mike, I just got all my cameras out and I'm back home in CT now. But I just got this pic a few minutes ago from Moultrie Mobile where I have a cam in my Alfalfa plot. I should have a good handle on utilization in a month or so.

25-Jul-18
T-roy. I planted Sweet corn this year because my wife was upset the last time I planted Field Corn. She sees how much I spend on these stupid crops and wants to see some return on investment show up on our dinner table.

By the way, my sweet corn plot was timed to mature one week prior to the NY Norther Zone early bear archery season the 2nd week of September. I give the plot one week before it's wiped out by bears but hopefully I'll have one dead by then.

25-Jul-18

Closeup of blackhawk eaten by deer
Closeup of blackhawk eaten by deer
Bfisherman11, too soon to say. They're eating it already but I can't say how hard they are hammering it. I need to put another camera up but my blackhawk plot flanks my soybeans and I assume they will be a stronger draw than the clover.

Blackhawk was designed by researchers at Texas A&M and can reach nearly 4' tall. I planted it by request from Hancock Seed and so far it's surpassed my expectation for initial growth being a little more than 5 weeks since I planted it.

25-Jul-18

One acre in 6 hours.
One acre in 6 hours.
By the way, I am getting good with my bulldozer. Cleared this 1 acre parcel in 6 hours with my 450h. Last clearing of 2 acres took me about a week. Not one tree was cut with a saw. All pushed over with dozer. A mix of mature timber. Apple trees were preserved but all cherry, maple and ash were pushed to the perimeter.

25-Jul-18

30k lbs of lime delivered
30k lbs of lime delivered
Also just got a lime delivery of 30,000 lbs. I'm tired of wasting time and money on pelletized lime. That dump spot will read have a PH of 12.5 next year!

25-Jul-18
Pat,

Plots are looking fantastic! Like it that you are trying a bunch of new crops for plots!

In regards to the AG Lime, I assume you will spread it in the spring and work it into the soil then?

Mark

25-Jul-18
Mark,

I have several open fields waiting on my fall plots so they will be spread next weekend, including the recently excavated plot above. I will likely spread over my alfalfa plot as well so it will be nice and sweet by next spring. The rest of the lime will stay under tarp until next spring.

25-Jul-18

Steve Leffler's embedded Photo
Being hit hard
Being hit hard
My Real world soybeans appear to be standing up to intense grazing pressure. I planted them as an experiment and figured if they were all consumed over the summer I would just put in a fall plot of brassicas. This is VT so we dont have huge deer numbers but I am cautiously optimistic that this plot might survive till fall. Lots of the plants have flowers now so they are at least trying to make beans.

25-Jul-18
Pat, Surprised to hear you are doing corn after your comments several years ago. I too tried corn and the stalk cleanup was too much. But if the boss wants sweet corn, what's a guy going to do?

01-Aug-18
So what kind of new toy did you get to spread the ag lime??

01-Aug-18
Did you wait a year after you burned down your alfalfa plot?

05-Aug-18

Killbuck, no. I burned down in spring then replanted with the RR alfalfa. The results are phenomenal so far. see pic.

05-Aug-18

Birdseye view of liming my clover field
Birdseye view of liming my clover field
Finished Field from 500' above
Finished Field from 500' above
Killbuck, I borrowed my neighbors Stolzfus Lime Spreader and his Ford Tractor with a cab. You will look like the Pillsbury dough boy with an open cab tractor when you are done. I spread 80% of my lime load yesterday. Took these photos with a drone. Looks like January.

05-Aug-18

My Trefoil field is now my 2nd top draw, behind my soybeans and slightly ahead of my alfalfa. Results are fantastic this year.
My Trefoil field is now my 2nd top draw, behind my soybeans and slightly ahead of my alfalfa. Results are fantastic this year.
Small 6 or 8 just showed up this week and hanging in my Trefoil plot
Small 6 or 8 just showed up this week and hanging in my Trefoil plot
I checked trail cams this weekend and I have two new bucks but they were only captured in my Trefoil field. In fact, my trefoil is getting hammered. So much for the comments that deer don't touch Trefoil. It's second only to my soybeans and slightly ahead of my alfalfa.

05-Aug-18

Find the deer in the soybeans
Find the deer in the soybeans
This photo taken on Friday shows an aerial view of my soybeans taken by a drone. There are two deer in the soybeans. See if you can find them.

05-Aug-18
Hey Pat are you going to clip the trefoil or just let it grow?. I planted some this spring too and I was wondering if it should be clipped occasionally to promote new growth.

05-Aug-18
I have never done straight trefoil, 25 years ago I saw a lot of ag fields of it here but haven’t recently. How late will the trefoil stay green? I have a healthy mix of it in with one of my clover plots We got some much needed rain last night, hope it wasnt too late.

05-Aug-18
Those drone photos are really cool. Why the gap on the left side of the foodplot?

05-Aug-18
Planting a strip of brassicas there

05-Aug-18
I should add I didn’t plan that. I ran out of beans.

05-Aug-18
Plots are looking fantastic!

The roundup up resistant weed epidemic is very real, even to us food plotters! I just had an Ag consultant out providing advice on controlling ragweed, pigweed and now water hemp (first identified in Ottertail County MN last year). I sprayed the water hemp three times in six weeks with roundup and it wouldn't touch it. Had to do a four wheeler spot spraying application with Cobra to save two small fields.......very expensive!

Controlling weeds in food plots would be a great topic (unfortunately) for a future thread.

Mark

05-Aug-18
Why the gap on the left side of the foodplot? Maybe the photo is backwards because usually they are on the right:)

06-Aug-18
IMOX is the real deal. Works great on clover. Takes care of grass and broad-leaf at the same time.

***Really wish someone would come out with RR clover***

07-Aug-18
Great to hear on the IMOX...sounds like it is the solution for broadleafs and grass in clover. I assume it is good to use in Alfalfa (as I have non RR alfalfa) as well?

Mark

07-Aug-18
Nice plots, Pat. And, remember, a fed bear is a dead bear... ;)

07-Aug-18
Mark, imox works well for clover, chicory and alfalfa.

I would say that the kill is pretty slow and I’ve found a few weeds and grass that don’t get killed off by imox but so far I like it.

If you can stick with Glyfo do it. But I prefer imox to clethodim and 2-4db so far based on my results.

• Sitka Gear