grubby 24-Jul-18
Dale06 24-Jul-18
bow_dude 24-Jul-18
Ambush 24-Jul-18
caribou77 24-Jul-18
Bigdan 24-Jul-18
Dooner 24-Jul-18
23-Jul-18
If there is a search engine here, I point me in the right direction, as I suppose this has been discussed. The question is four fletch. How much if any benefit do you get from it in terms of arrow stabilization. What are the down sides. I shot four fletch 25 years ago, but went to three fletch and have not re considered it until now. I’m not really having arrow flight issues, just wondering if four fletch would add benefit. Thanks

23-Jul-18
In regards to BH flight it depends on the BH and how much fletching it takes to control it.

I personally like and have used 4-fletch for years. It may be overkill but good BH control/ arrow flight is one less issue I have to deal with when setting up a bow.

The only downside issues or maybe: the overkill issue stated above and the extra cost of a 4th vane/ feather, glue and installation/glue drying time.

24-Jul-18
I’ve been testing it out this summer and can’t really tell yet if it’s better or not. I have two arrows I put in a 4 fletch 90 and shoot them with my regular 3 fletch arrows. Can’t tell much difference out to 80, but maybe it’s my shooting that’s the problem.

Just based on trends and history if 4 was really that vastly superior it would be the standard and everyone would be shooting it instead of the overwhelming predominance of 3 fletch.

24-Jul-18

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I use nothing but 4 fletch no matter how its on the string its right and I can shoot any tip broadhead or field tip the all fly the same

24-Jul-18
I have been shooting 4 for nearly 45 years, I would guess. The biggest thing (for me) is that I dont have to worry about loading an arrow. It's always going to end up the same, no matter what. Secondly. I dont like an arrow spinning too much. I use feathers and straight fletch, so there is just some curvature left in the feather, which will give me about 3 revolutions over 20 yards. I find that fixed heads fly better with less rotation as opposed to more and better than none. Just what I have seen and therefore, I fletch this way.

I also get to use shorter feathers, as opposed to the length I would need to use if I were only using 3 feathers. I like a total in the area of 12-15" (depending on the mass of the head) and 4 divided by whatever, is shorter than 3 divided by that same number. Gets the feathers further from the rest and lessens the contact, should there be any. I guess thats about it.

24-Jul-18
I switched to four fletch about a month ago and I've never had better arrow flight and my groups tightened up.

24-Jul-18
Been shooting 4 fletch for well over 30 years now. Mainly, I stick with it, because I don't want to have to think about "cock feather up" when I nock an arrow in a hunting situation.

24-Jul-18
I switched to a four fletch a couple of seasons ago because of cable clearance issues with Blazers. The vanes I use now are .410 tall. A bonus I discovered was another 15 or so yards range on my Tommy Hogg slider without that tall cock vane straight up. I fletch a 60/120 configuration.

For me it's better cable, rest and sight clearance, plus its always on the string the right way. It can be done on any of the three fletch tower style fletcher's like the Arizona Ezee Fletch or Bohning tower. My very old Bitz still has a 60/120 option.

Does it shoot better then the Blazer three fletch? I don't shoot good enough to tell a difference.

24-Jul-18
Why stop at 4? I was recently listening to Randy Ulmer and he is using 6. I'm considering switching arrows next year and will definitely experiment with 4 fletch.....maybe even 6.

24-Jul-18
My old bitzenburger fletcher has a 75/105 option. When I used four fletch 25 years ago, that’s what I used.

24-Jul-18
In response to Wildwilderness's comment, " ...if 4 was really that vastly superior it would be the standard and everyone would be shooting it instead of the overwhelming predominance of 3 fletch." A lot of years ago, 4 was the standard... at least at every shop you would buy arrows at here in Utah. 3 fletch were hard to come by unless you ordered them. Then the speed craze hit and since 3 made an arrow fly faster, the 4 fletch soon became obsolete. Same was true with 4 blade broad heads in lieu of 3 blade. Hunters used to be in favor of accuracy as their 1st priority. Then the pass thru and speed craze hit and so did the archery community mindset. Now the trend seems to be leaning towards distance. Been an interesting road to follow over the years, sure has changed a lot.

24-Jul-18
Dale, you might right about mine then too. I didn't checked, I just assumed it was 60/120.

24-Jul-18
Think my Jojan does both 75/105 and 90. I started shooting 90 several years back and love it.

24-Jul-18
I do mine at 90

24-Jul-18
I've been using 4-fletch for ~5years. I went from using 3x4" vanes down to 4x3" vanes. Controls the broadheads great. I never have to worry; the arrows are always on the string correctly.

• Sitka Gear