Grunter 24-Jul-18
Dyjack 24-Jul-18
EmbryOklahoma 24-Jul-18
ki-ke 25-Jul-18
jstephens61 25-Jul-18
23-Jul-18

Grunter's embedded Photo
Grunter's embedded Photo
So I recieved this life sized elk picture made of cardboard. Weighs about 1-2 pounds and folds somewhat decently as a tri fold. Would either have to stabilize it more or just lean it up on a tree to stand up. It is kinda big for the pack but wondering what your guys thoughts were. Would you bring this out with you? Seems like it would work good to me

23-Jul-18
Ummm. That’s a stag/red deer.

Common mistake. Can’t tell you how many neighborhoods I see with “elk” in the name with stag bronzes.

23-Jul-18
You're telling me a elk wouldn't think this is a elk?

23-Jul-18
No, not saying that but you called it a “life sized elk picture” and it’s not an elk, it’s a stag.

You’ll probably struggle with the bulkiness of that and it would be a pain to lug all over the mountain/pain when it gets wet. Look at the Ultimate Predator decoys that are collapseable and easy to take up and down the mountain in your pack.

23-Jul-18
That might full a raghorn, but it won't fool herd bull. LOL just kidding, I don't know.

23-Jul-18
Well it looked like a elk to me. Thanks for the correction. I'm calling it a stelk

23-Jul-18
Haha it is a stag but will fool an elk !

23-Jul-18
No, I would not bring that (or any other) decoy. You may find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

23-Jul-18
No.

23-Jul-18
Nope

23-Jul-18
No.

24-Jul-18
Killed a bull once in thick cover using a Montana cow decoy which I propped up in an oak bush and moved ahead of it to cow call. It was a "in the heat of moment" decision. The bull made eye contact with the decoy as he came in and he never saw me at 3 yards. I can't think of a scenario where I would want to fool a bull with a decoy like that...

24-Jul-18
no

24-Jul-18
Not if you were paying me! Well maybe if you paid me enough I would, but it would have to be a lot!

—jim

24-Jul-18
With all that white between the antlers you may as well just hang up a pillowcase. I don't think any elk will look past all that white.

--Bill

24-Jul-18
Just make sure you are alone on the mountain...some idiot might take a frontal shot at you!

24-Jul-18
No sir!

ElkNut/Paul

24-Jul-18
Nope, too big/clumsy, too much white above the antlers, and I couldn't deal with all the guys ragging on me about why I have a huge picture of a stag when I'm elk hunting ;)

The biggest reason (IMO) animals commit to a decoy is when it moves. If you move that thing you're just waving the white flag of surrender. I'd rather use a pure piece of tan fabric and just walk it through the trees.

24-Jul-18
With all that white junk on top you might fool a moose, but I doubt you'd fool an elk. You'd be better off cutting the antlers off and making it into a cow decoy...

24-Jul-18
What has hunting become....geesh. Come on....better wear your glasses with the fake nose too in case any of your friends see with that thing....lol

24-Jul-18
no

24-Jul-18
Nope

24-Jul-18
Paint all that white in a muted camo, then paint some big cajones on him. The cows would come, the bulls would follow. Go for it ! :-)

24-Jul-18
What surfbow said...... cut all that white stuff off and make it a cow. All the elk decoys I'm aware of are all cows anyway.

24-Jul-18
Make a great target to practice the frontal

24-Jul-18
Nope

24-Jul-18
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna slim it down, cut the horns off and fool a bull. Then I will post my story about how the stelk helped me get my 1st elk. Big dreams here fellas

24-Jul-18
Let us know how long it takes you to get tired of carrying it in elk country and drop it.

Red Deer are amazing animals for sure though. Bucket list hunt.

24-Jul-18

25-Jul-18
I believe if you convert "him" into a "her", you're gonna create all kinds of identity issues within the local elk herd. What with the big neck and boy parts, but identifying as a girl, the bulls especially will torment "her" to the point of tears. Then there is the whole race issue that you are making an issue about. Stag lives matter. Be a little more sensitive Grunter! Where do you live? I want to stage a protest.

25-Jul-18
Stand it in front of my block target and practice frontal shots.

• Sitka Gear