Charlie Rehor 03-Jan-23
Franzen 04-Jan-23
South Farm 04-Jan-23
Shiras42 04-Jan-23
APauls 04-Jan-23
Ollie 04-Jan-23
24-Jul-18

grubby's Link
A couple of recent threads have made me curious as to what hunting property sells for in your area. Here you can buy property suitable for hunting from $300 per acre at the low end to $1600 at the high. here's one currently for sale. I believe this one was developed primarily as an investment. Its just a few miles from my house and I really have never seen anyone there.

24-Jul-18
I bought some for $900/ acre in western Ks. That was high because of some specific factors. Missed another piece a mile away that sold fo $580/acre.

24-Jul-18
In southern Iowa you can find hunting property from $3000 per acre and up. Land that has good soil for row crops will go higher.

24-Jul-18
So dependent on a myriad of factors. Two pieces here neighboring each other. 80 acres was $1,200/acre with a river running through it, and the neighboring 160 was $600/acre I assume because the river didn't run directly through it.

I've looked at land here for a couple years steady. Around here basically anything within an hour of the major city is going to be $100,000+ doesn't matter if it is 2 acres or 40. Once you start getting up there in acres like 60+ then it may start to show. But bigger variables are land quality, land features, distance from major urban centres, road access etc. If you drive 2-3 hours north of Winnipeg you can buy a half section of good for nothing-but-hunting land for $40,000. It may not have trees large enough for stands, it will have trespassers, and it most likely will have large deer and some elk, and of course, loads of bears. If it's within "commute" distance to Winnipeg, it will be $120,000 minimum 2 acres or whatever.

24-Jul-18
I recently added another 30 acres adjacent to mine for $500/acre. its junk, pretty wet and little timber value. I really didn't want to buy it. It wont add much to what I already had but if someone else had purchased it it would have been devastating.

24-Jul-18
I bought the 200 acres I live on for $740/acre and it’s not very good hunting, that’s not why I bought it though. Land that’s good for hunting in the county I live in is more like $1000-$1500/acre. That doesn’t sound bad compared to prices other places but the deer numbers aren’t as great as other places either. A guy could spend 500,000 and be looking at one or two shooters that you’re sharing with the neighbors.

24-Jul-18
1500-3000 an acre here in S Central PA. Land is getting purchased quickly with our proximity to DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Like everyone else here any small building lots or ground with great features or access is going to be way more.

24-Jul-18
$2000-$3000 here in SC Kansas

24-Jul-18
3000 to 4000 in North central iowa. Best chunck around sold for 3500 this spring. In my area hunting land is limited and most if not all includes tillable arces, which has been around 5 to 7 grand an acre in the low end...

24-Jul-18
As others have said - it varies greatly due to proximity to large cities and scenery. In Missouri I'd say the average I've seen is around $2,500 per acre.

--Mitch

24-Jul-18
It seemed to peak a little more than 5 years ago here. Coming back down some and I would say between $2200 and $3500, depending on parcel size. I have seen a couple scrub pieces with nothing on them go dirt cheap; +/- $1500. Decent crop ground on a piece will make it go higher and sometimes much higher. Pure ag ground is anywhere from around $4000 to $10000+, but I'm not sure if anyone is giving those higher numbers right now.

S-Central IL.

24-Jul-18
It's all based on population near the area. More people=More buyers=More money to spend on it. Northern MN you can get hunting land for 600-1000 per acre. Central MN you pay at least 2k per acre. Southern MN is a minimum of 3k per acre and up to 6-7 if it has farmable ground.

24-Jul-18
Ohio is pretty variable as mentioned above

Hilly Clear-cut: $2,000/ac

Hilly w/Timber: $3,000-4,500/ac

Tillable: $5,000-7,500/ac

Tillable near a City: $10,000+/ac

24-Jul-18
I bought my 38 acres of SW WI land for $1,100/acre 17yrs ago. Since then two neighboring properties (one 40 and most recent an 80) that I do not think offer as good a hunting potential have sold for $3,300/acre.

As happy as I am about the land value increasing, it was way better that I got to tell my wife "Told you so!". Ha

Actually she loves the place too and we both enjoy working on it to make it better so we can retire there. Like they say they are not making more land so I am glad we bought as soon as we could afford to while we were young.

Bill

24-Jul-18
$2500-$3500/acre East Central Mn. and West Central Wi.

Blows my mind a 600 acre bare tillable field commands almost three times that much, but I guess where corn is King that's what you get. To me if it don't have trees it ain't worth sh!t..

24-Jul-18
Rural southeast Virginia prices:

Wooded: $500-$1000/acre plus the value of the timber Open/tillable: $3000/acre if it's well drained

Prices go up significantly for smaller pieces (under 30 acres) or if near a city or major road.

24-Jul-18
My 217 acres cost $1,700 an acre 10 years ago. After clearing food plots, building roads, making low water crossings, installing culverts, and building a $100,000 house on it, I have it priced at $3,500 an acre. Ain't nobody beating my door down to buy it though, but I'm not gonna give it away either.

I've seen lots of raw land priced at $2,800 to $3,100 per acre so I'm not too high. Those places aren't selling either. I just have to wait for the right buyer.

24-Jul-18
The elk properties I’ve looked at in NM have been 800-1100/acre. That’s not too bad, but you’re not going to be hunting elk with 40 acres. I’m hoping to pick up a section for 800-900/acre, but I’d go higher for the right piece. I’ve found two amazing pieces already that were 1150-1200/acre that I just didn’t have the down payment for. You just have to be patient.

24-Jul-18
Cornfields along the Colorado front range are selling for $5/ SQUARE FOOT. But they will be commercial property after the sale.

For those that struggle with math, thats $217,800/acre

24-Jul-18
That’s crazy. Reminds me of the Southern California coast in the 70s-80s. Ranches and citrus orchards that made certain families millions.

24-Jul-18
Comparing land sale prices from one to another is pretty much like comparing apples to oranges in most circumstances. -The number of (non-hunting) variables that enter the equation is where it comes from. -Does the property have timber value? Type of timber? Age structure of timber? Tillable acres that will yield income? What kind of tillable acres? (Avg. yields?) Water availability/irrigation? Soil type? Proximity to blacktop? Proximity to "big city"? Access availability? Overall size and availability to add adjoining parcels in future? Parcel's shape? Upland, lowland?

Then, top it off with hunter variables, which we all know and understand to not be a short list or one that can be glanced over... Location is key in the end!

24-Jul-18
The OP posted a property that was 389 acres it has 16 stand sites. That made me laugh, I have 132 acres and have 40 stand sites. Where I live in NY a good piece of property in say a bow only hunting area will go as high as 50 grand for an acre and if you are lucky you may find some for as little as 25 grand an acre. I have a buddy who bought 50 acres in 1985 for 700 an acre. He retired and sold it to buy land and go hunt Elk in Arizona. He got 2.5 million from a developer for 40 of those acres. The other 10 he had built a modest 2500 sq. foot house on and he sold that for 1.5 million. I say if you can afford to buy decent size chunks of land, do it!! They are not making anymore of it and it may help you and your children or grand children live a nice life someday! Shawn

24-Jul-18
I bought 90 acres in Holmes co Ohio about 15 years ago for 3300.00 per acre. I could easily triple my investment in one phone call now. Straight hunting land. Prices here are absurd. Hunting land goes for way more than tillable. If you have land where the Amish are within buggy distance of their church 20,000 an acre is not unheard of!

24-Jul-18
Minimum of 3000.00/acre in my area of WI. But I'm sure since t-roy thinks everyone should just go buy land, he will buy us all some;) By the way I am not anti-private land. I have land, just not as much as I'd like.

24-Jul-18
Maybe 40-60k for a quarter section. Bit more for waterfront. Mines amazing deer, bear, and grouse +waterfront and would probably be 100k.

24-Jul-18
Land strictly for hunting mostly is a poor investment in my area. Working ranches with recreation are better, but you have to be willing to operate and understand an ag business.

24-Jul-18
I’ll keep my eyes open for some for ya, Melvin.

25-Jul-18
Cnelk , commercially irrigated weed?

25-Jul-18
Too bad the sneaky realtors don’t let us know what land actually sold for instead of just putting sold on their ads. The few around here didn’t sell for what they had listed at and most were more like 75 percent of list price. One outfit is notorious for very high listing prices.

25-Jul-18
In Sauk County, WI recreational (i.e., "hunting") land generally runs for around $3,000 per acre. This price puts it out of reach for many hunters.

25-Jul-18
so the property I linked to is Whitetail Properties, it was listed with a local agent first. guess who's higher.

25-Jul-18
1boonr it's public record. You can look it up.

25-Jul-18
Vonfoust- I realize it’s public record but you have to go to the county seat to get all that info. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just have the realtors list the sold at price on their websites.

25-Jul-18
@ Link

Negative. Not commercial irrigated weed. More like business development/schools/neighborhoods

25-Jul-18
grubby, hopefully the one that had it first and couldn't sell it, but if WP was the second lister it could be pretty doubtful.

25-Jul-18
4000-6000/acre for very good hunting ground western illinois by us

27-Aug-18
Get the wrong neighbor and $5 dollars/acre can be too much:(

03-Jan-23
William, Are you a spammer? Or do you just dress up as one on Halloween?

03-Jan-23
Curious on the difference from 2018 to 2023 though with prices. What used to be $750/acre seems to be $1500 now.

03-Jan-23
He was a spammer. They are getting clever by trying to disguise as hunters joining in on the discussion. Scumbags

03-Jan-23
“Curious on the difference from 2018 to 2023 though with prices. What used to be $750/acre seems to be $1500 now”

I posted something about this in the past few days. I checked Zillow for CT and there may be a few non-buildable, non-farmable parcels here and there starting at $2k an acre, but anything that you could build on, you’ve got to multiply that by 5, or by something between 30 and 50 if it’s a buildable property anywhere close to anyplace you’d want to be.

03-Jan-23
They target older threads.

04-Jan-23
APauls, for the type of ground we are talking I was $2,200 to $3,500 five years ago. Today I would put that range at $3,500 to $5,000. Not double, but maybe more like a 50% increase. Sure wish the right opportunity came along then instead of this year, but there's a reason that happened.

04-Jan-23
Just across the border from Minnesota, in Wisconsin, I'm seeing "Mud Ducks" aka Minnesotans border hopping and buying up 5 acre lots of scrub oak and jackpine for as much as $9k/acre. Comparatively, 10 years ago that same land could've been had for under $2k. Simply CRAZY if you ask me, especially considering current inflation and interest rates. Where is everyone getting all this discretionary income?!?

04-Jan-23
2 - 80 acre parcels in my area that I was following as I was interested to a point. The one I wanted went for $6850/acre and the other $7950. Talked with both buyers as it was a mix of crop and waste. Both buyers bought strictly for hunting. It is out of control.

04-Jan-23
You guys need to move to Canada lol. Be land barons in no time.

04-Jan-23
People have been complaining that prices for hunting property are too high for over 30 years. That should tell you something. Land is appreciating nearly every year. How are your 491K investments doing? Hunting land is for both investment and Recreation. You can’t play with your 401K. Buy if you can.

• Sitka Gear