grossklw 24-Jul-18
Surfbow 24-Jul-18
Lark Bunting 24-Jul-18
Inshart 24-Jul-18
kscowboy 24-Jul-18
trophyhill 24-Jul-18
Yellowjacket 24-Jul-18
24-Jul-18
I am hopefully going to Colorado College in a few years, and a huge draw is the area surrounding it. Are there any decent areas for elk on public land out there? Not asking for secret spots (wouldn't mind them tho ;) ) just a general idea. Never hunted elk before and I am well aware that I will probably be unsuccessful my first couple tries. Thanks for any info!

24-Jul-18
Go to Colorado parks and comish and start searching, in what I'm is assuming your first post on this website you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere with what are some good units? Also do yourself a favor and buy Corey Jacobsen's elk101 course and spend some time on Paul's (elknut) website and you'll have a start. Search function is great on here. Just read, read, and read some more. If you're moving there for college you should have time to do your own scouting in the off-season :)

24-Jul-18
Gross- sorry, is it rude to ask about units? I really don't know what I'm doing, so sorry if it comes of as ignorant. A bonus is that I won't be hunting the first fall, since I won't classify as a resident (and won't be able to buy as a nonresident), so I can scout all fall. Thanks for the help!

24-Jul-18
Start building points ASAP. As a full-time student, you will be treated as a resident. Your comment makes me think you are already aware of this benefit. After you are about to finally graduate after 7 years, you will have enough points to do some cool hunts:).

Take-up fly fishing ASAP. The Dream Stream between 11 Mile and Spinney isn't far from you and is great public fishing. It can get crowded on weekends though.

24-Jul-18
Cowboy - I love fly fishing (or fly casting in my case). Can't say I'm the best at it, or anywhere near good, but I'm excited to try out there! I've fished all over (New Hampshire, Montana, etc) and have learned that fish are repelled from my flies just about anywhere, but I'll get one someday ;)

24-Jul-18
Not rude in my opinion, just is likely a non-starter with most on here. If you'll be out there this fall I'd go buy a bugle tube and go run around the mountains come September and "hunt" with a camera and get some experience that way regardless. If nothing else it'll be a hell of a fun camping trip :)

24-Jul-18
There are plenty of elk within a few hours of CO Springs, aim for national forest and start hiking...

24-Jul-18
There is plenty of National Forest in the surrounding areas to hunt elk. Lord knows there are plenty of people in the backs of trucks, literally in lawn chairs, driving Rampart Range bugling their heads off.

PM Sent

24-Jul-18
Google "Rocky Jacobson" watch his you tube instructional vid on how to use calls - then, as mentioned - head out and have a blast.

24-Jul-18

kscowboy's Link
Newbie, I would get in touch with Landon Mayer and book a trip with him in the spring when the Rainbows, Cutthroat, and Cuttbows are coming-up to spawn from 11 Mile. Have a good friend or family member come out and go with you to help alleviate some of the cost. Yes, it's pricey but learning to fish a nearby tailwater from one of the best in the business will pay for itself in the long run. He also is well-published and can get you some ideas by reading his books. He lives W of Woodland Park. The South Platte can be a bit technical at times but there is a proper way to fish it and so long as you know what flies to use, you can get into some good fish.

I posted a link to Landon's website

24-Jul-18
Yes. Good hunting within an hour and a half from Springs. Also some draw units worth looking at near Buenee

24-Jul-18
That's the million $ question for about a million hunters living on the front range. Decent elk hunting not too far from home.

• Sitka Gear