Ned 25-Jul-18
ki-ke 25-Jul-18
Redheadtwo 25-Jul-18
Frank Sanders 26-Jul-18
BIGHORN 26-Jul-18
PECO 26-Jul-18
HDE 26-Jul-18
24-Jul-18
Hey guys. Not new to archery, but it’s been a long time since I’ve messed with compounds. Primarily a recurve and longbow shooter. Recently bought a Diamond Deploy SB, and I want to order a custom string for it. My plan is to order from Lancaster, and a local Cabelas said they could install it for me. So my question is, what do I need to know to order a good string? Anything specific I should ask for, or stay away from?

24-Jul-18
First off Lancaster may be OK but I would order from someone else. 60X strings come to mind as well as others. Also if you have a shop fairly close I would have them do it, rather than Cabelas. Cabelas can be very hit or miss with the folks working on your bow! Shawn

24-Jul-18
I would also order from a custom stringmaker rather than Lancaster. You will need the make and model of your bow and the string and cable lengths. These should be published on the limbs of your bow.

24-Jul-18
x2....go to a pro shop.

24-Jul-18
The closest pro shop to me is 45 mins away, and they want me to leave my bow there for about a week. Didn’t like that idea. We used to have more shops, but most have closed shop. Sad. I can do everything myself with the trad bows, but this is a different animal.

24-Jul-18
60x

24-Jul-18
That seems strange, I just had my limbs switched out and new cables and string put on and it took all of 15 minutes at my shop. I am friends with the owner but his shop does most of that type of work while you wait unless it is right before hunting season or during the season. This time of year up until about the end of August they are not usually over run. Shawn

24-Jul-18
I ordered a set from Hogwire bowstrings this morning. Did a lot a reading before deciding where to buy. Rob patiently answered all my questions and should have them in a couple weeks.

24-Jul-18

JTV's Link
are you wanting just a string or cables also ... youve got 60X... JBK Strings, and my favorite Twisted X .... be aware, some of the finer makers like Twisted X are running about 30 days right now for delivery , it is because of the rush right before hunting season as many wait till the last second .... decide on the material you want it made from.. I went with the newer Mercury from BCY and have been very happy with it.... same goes for your serving material, what do you want ..... Twisted X phone is 405-313-5176 , call and ask what is best for your set up ...http://www.twistedxbowstrings.com/

24-Jul-18
+1 for Twisted X. All I’ll shoot as long as Shane makes them!

24-Jul-18
60x is about a week out on a custom set. Mine will be here thursday. Ordered several sets from them. As far as Lancaster goes I would not be afraid to order their custom strings at all. Though 60x is a much better price. You can get a custom set for 85$ and get a 10% first order discount. Thats a good deal from a great maker. Lancaster also sells winners choice, which will be custom ordered from winners choice. They are an excellent store and where I purchase most of my items. Im sure cabelas will do an ok job. They would not be my first choice, but neither would a shop that wants me to leave my bow for a week. I just swapped limbs on my girlfriends bow a week ago. Id say it was 30 minutes from start to finish. Im not a pro by any means. Strings alone would be faster. In the end, if you love archery and plan on sticking with a compound for many years, I suggest to you and everyone else buy your own press and do your own work.

24-Jul-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
x2 on having your own press... LCA EZ Green press is what I have .. it's not that I use it a lot, but when I need it, it is a life saver ... great for changing strings/cables/limbs/tying serving/Peeps, or for making simple twists for tuning .. *cat not included

24-Jul-18
60X

24-Jul-18
ABB

24-Jul-18
Dark Canyon Customs

25-Jul-18
X3 on owning a press, best archery related purchase I've made

25-Jul-18

Franzen's Link
I've been happy with the couple sets I've gotten from 60X. Certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy the BCY X string and cable set from them again. Quick and quality. Also look good.

25-Jul-18
One thing I will say about 60X, stay away from the premade (ready to ship) strings and cables. Order custom only. My experience with the premade is they are "mass produced" and quality suffered bigtime.

25-Jul-18
I had very bad luck with 60X.. never again, and this was a "custom" job, serving plain SUCKED !! ... Twisted X never failed me...

25-Jul-18
My complaint was serving as well...

25-Jul-18
The serving was fine on my 60x string and cables. The set even withstood a dryfire. The bow and strings survived fine with many more shots and seasons. I do like the Winner's Choice strings better but they cost more.

25-Jul-18
I think the guy asked what he would need. The question was answered but somehow it turned into who’s strings should I buy? How did that happen?

25-Jul-18
"So my question is, what do I need to know to order a good string? Anything specific I should ask for, or stay away from?"

Not sure how you think the thread got derailed - seems like all responses answer the questions...

25-Jul-18
I also like WC....you can just call them and they will help you figure out what you need to order......and for that price the ought to do put it for you! I will echo the comments above about breaking down a buying a good professional grade bow press. I love my Apple Hercules.

25-Jul-18
Vaportrail strings come highly recommended, just put one on my Hoyt carbon spyder and love it. Go to the website and pick your colors, then give them a call to order your string. Know the specs on your bow when you call. They are very helpful and professional, shipped my string within an hour.

25-Jul-18
+2 on Vapor Trail. On my 5th or 6th set of their strings and have never had any issues.

25-Jul-18
Get a set from 60X and have the bow tech at Cabela's put them on for you. Or buy a press and do it yourself.

26-Jul-18
60X serving failures a couple times, switched to Piranha Bow strings and never looked back. Initial stretch when put on, they settle right away, adjust peep and done. Can’t stand worrying about equipment and their servings are bullet proof

26-Jul-18
A few years back I went to a Pro shop that was also a Mathews dealer and I told him that I wanted a Mathews string for my MQ1 compound. He said that it would be about a week so I told him to order it. He installed the string and I took my bow home and tried to shoot it. The arrows were going all over the place and it didn't shoot the way it use to shoot. I took it back to the shop and told him my problem. He shot it and no matter what he did to my bow it wasn't consistent. That's when he told me that he had made the string himself and that he had been doing this for a long time with no problems. He called Mathews and they told him that this bow had to have a Mathews string on it. He said that he would order the Mathews string and I took my bow home and put my old string on it and it shot great again. I had already paid for a new string and that is when I found out that he sold his shop to another person. That person wouldn't help me with the string problems and neither would the old owner. Lesson learned, put the string made by the manufacturer on your bow.

26-Jul-18
I put custom strings on a Mathews bow, watched a youtube video an ddi dit myself, no issues.

26-Jul-18
I throw away the Mathews strings as soon as I get the bow. Cannot stand them.

26-Jul-18
^^^ I keep the strings and throw [that] bow away!! : ^ )

• Sitka Gear