Scrappy 26-Jul-18
Trial153 26-Jul-18
Rut Nut 26-Jul-18
smarba 26-Jul-18
Ambush 26-Jul-18
Rut Nut 26-Jul-18
Trial153 26-Jul-18
26-Jul-18
Looks like it is much cheaper initially than Garmin In Reach- BUT how is service plan? Can you get it only for the months you will use it? $19.95/ month? Or do you have to pay the $199.95 for the entire year?

26-Jul-18
You'll pay more with the never ending subscription fee. I have the old inreach I bought last year with no complaints.

26-Jul-18
Why? With no phone pairing function and no gps why would you even consider it vs a garmin unit.

26-Jul-18
That’s what I’m trying to figure out Trial 153! Thanks!

26-Jul-18
SPOT = 1 way communication (out). Delorme/Garmin = 2 way communication (in/out). Some guys claim it's "nice" to disconnect and not hear from family. Even though we don't chat a lot, it's good peace of mind for me knowing that if something hits the fan while I'm out my wife can let me know I need to head for home.

I'd rather know something like (God forbid) daughter hit by a truck and in the hospital and pull out of the woods than hunt for another week in bliss unaware of something like that.

26-Jul-18
My Spot got cancelled this month and I have an Inreach Mini now. With the ability to "suspend" your Garmin contract, I think it will work out cheaper per year and way more service. You have to swallow the initial cost, that's all.

But Spot has the new SpotX that works very similar and it's one advantage (maybe) is that it has an actual "phone number". The downside of that is your buddies constantly texting you with trivial chit chat and over running your plan. One of my buddies in law enforcement sent me a text this morning from a SoptX that they are trying out. Text and satellite location came through on my phone in seconds.

But Spot made me mad with their billing, so after ten years or so I switched.

26-Jul-18
Ok-thanks for the info guys!!!

26-Jul-18
The spot is also on a horrble satellite network for reliability as well. Stick with the inreach. Pair it with a smart phone and yoru golden. Your married . .get the month to month unlimited plan. A garmin paired with your phone gets you communication, Gps and navigation, a cameria, piece of mind and happy wife.

• Sitka Gear