Knothead 29-Jul-18
wytex 29-Jul-18
huntnmuleys 30-Jul-18
midwest 30-Jul-18
Pyrannah 31-Jul-18
GregE 06-Aug-18
SteveB 06-Aug-18
27-Jul-18
So i'm headed on my first western DIY trip to wyoming this September to chase elk with a buddy and i attribute this trip to bowsite.

I first went two years ago on a guided Montana elk trip which, wasn't good hunting, we had bad guiding, and it was semi-expensive, but i actually had the best time being there and hunting that i may ever have had. It was such an eye opening experience that demanded i strive to get back out west as soon as possible.

Ever since i started hunting i had dreamed of going west to make it happen. I can remember seeing pictures of elk in my hunting magazines, seeing elk mounts at the outdoor show, and talking with other hunters about the draw of hunting out west. i just wanted to see the sites, hear bugling elk, spend time with friends, and to eventually win the battle against an animal that is so much larger than whitetail. Don't get me wrong i love hunting deer, but being in elk habitat chasing them around miles of open terrain and rarely seeing another hunter is very appealing.

I am now doing my last bit of preparing, i've been shooting, i've been reading, i've been studying, i've been practicing my calling, and collecting last pieces of needed gear. I think i am ready to go on my new adventure. I am extremely excited but nervous at the same time. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and happen while i am out there that is in the back of my head.

I wanted to thank all the people on here who have helped me make this desire come true and try to make it happen on my own. To the people who have reached out with direct assistance, THANK YOU so much! I also want to thank all those who have posted stories about their hunts, those who have posted pictures of the terrain, those who have posted gear reviews, posted tuning secrets, etcetera, which all fueled the fire.

Thank you bowsite for helping me get to the point where i feel comfortable enough to go and try.

Good luck to everyone this season, be safe and shoot straight!

27-Jul-18
I like your chances. You are a good person and good things will happen. Believe, be bold and humble.

27-Jul-18
Hey brother I agree! Good luck on your hunt! I'm going on my 1st west trip this year. This site has been amazing for knowledge and the stories just blow me away. I'll be waiting to read your recap!

27-Jul-18
Tag soup is best served cold.........don't ask me how I know.

Best of LUCK!!!!!

May you have a plan, and many other backup plans, but stick to them and do NOT let the good idea fairy or doubt or confusion get in your way. Be open to learning from your mistakes but never once despair or give up thinking you are not up to it or you got it wrong. Mental stick-to-it-ness is your best weapon on these hunts.

No, I don't always follow my own advice........

27-Jul-18
I wish you the best of luck on your foray out west! Additionally, I second your sentiment about how this site and its unique group of users provides insight and motivation for getting out there and getting it done. Other than my time in the Army, I have lived most of my life in Wisconsin/Minnesota and a DIY western hunt can seem pretty daunting to a newbie. The level of experience on this site is really a blessing. Good luck again.

27-Jul-18
An argument could be made that the Bowsite is one of the most enriching advents in the world of archery. Somewhere between the compound bow and carbon shafts. :)

27-Jul-18
Ben, what dates have you chosen for your elk hunt?

ElkNut/Paul

27-Jul-18
Pyrannah. just enjoy your hunt.Us guys from the east I think appreciate the west that much more because we don't have it here.It is hard to explain to the guys who live there and take things for granted.Once you go and get into a few elk. that's it.25 yrs. and it's a everyday obsession.And I wouldn't have it any other way. Only regret I didn't start till I was 40.....shoot straight good luck

27-Jul-18
Good luck Ben! Enjoy every second of your hunt and take lots of pictures! Hope you’re dream is fulfilled this season! Make sure to post up a recap of your success -we’re rooting for you!

27-Jul-18
“Don't get me wrong i love hunting deer, but being in elk habitat chasing them around miles of open terrain and rarely seeing another hunter is very appealing.”

I feel just like you, though the end of that comment is easier said than achieved. Best of luck to you this fall.

28-Jul-18
Thanks everyone I will definitly have a post hunt write up!

28-Jul-18
Good luck! Hope you have a blast.

28-Jul-18
I look forward to the story! Like you I got started late in life . Hunted most of my life in my home state and hunting the west seemed out of reach and immensely intimidating. I met a couple people through ,of all people my mother in law, and they took me under their wing and taught me how to really hunt. Completely life changing !! Enjoy your hunt and remember , when it looks like things aren't gonna happen things happen. Hard work gets results. When it happens focus on making the play. Be safe and live the dream!

28-Jul-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Just in case you need a reminder of what an elk is........................

28-Jul-18
Now we’re talkin!!! More fuel for the fire

Thanks Paul!

28-Jul-18

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Best of luck on your trip! We’ll all be watching for an update:) Poudre

28-Jul-18
Good luck! You’ll be successful cut tag or not!

28-Jul-18
Wow! Reading this thread makes me feel a little guilty. I have had the privilege of hunting Oregon for the past 20 years and moved to Colorado this year. I guess I have never thought about the other side of the country. Thanks for sharing. Makes me appreciate what I’ve been able to do even more. Good luck and shoot straight. “—->

28-Jul-18
I never go elk hunting with the thought I'll actually get one. To me, they are the ultimate challenge, a piece of puzzle almost impossible to find. Rather I go with the thought that I will stay until the last day regardless of what happens and if I get one, so be it. I hunt on faith they are nearby even if I don't see them. I've gotten lucky 4 times and I hope you do too.

29-Jul-18
I always go elk hunting with the thought I know for a fact I'll kill one if I want.

I'll work harder and create my own luck! If your afraid to make a mistake you'll never learn. Spot & stalk antelope 10 mistakes to one good opportunity. Spot & stalk elk 3 mistakes to one good opportunity. That's where I'm at now after 9 years. When I started it was 100-1 antelope and 30-1 on elk.

You'll have a lot of fun!

29-Jul-18
Good luck on your adventure!

29-Jul-18
I agree that most westerners just don't understand how intimidating it is to hunt out west. I was born & raised in AZ but for a few years I lived in Dallas. I learned that I took for granted our western opportunities with public lands to hunt, dispersed camping, and not having to pay for leases etc. If any of you ever draw AZ, let me know and I will try to help you out. Good Luck to all you easterners headed west.

29-Jul-18
Good luck, and any elk with a bow is a trophy. Don't pass up a good shot opportunity. Wondering when fall will roll in, we've had temps down into the 40 at night , now in July. Finally some good monsoon rains around our part of Wyoming.

30-Jul-18
Love this post! Hope you have the time of your life. Bring on September

30-Jul-18
Good luck!

31-Jul-18
Thanks for all the good luck!

Received a bunch of PMs and responded to all, of you didn’t hear back let me know

Ben

06-Aug-18

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo
Which one, can you wait?

06-Aug-18
Relax, don't be under pressure to kill and just take in the whole experience....dead elk or not. It will be the most satisfying hunting experience of your life!

• Sitka Gear