Boris 31-Jul-18
Matt 01-Aug-18
ki-ke 01-Aug-18
Mark Watkins 01-Aug-18
Matt 01-Aug-18
Boris 01-Aug-18
smarba 01-Aug-18
27-Jul-18
Like many of you, I cut and fletch my own arrows (carbon shafts for compounds, but I'll take the training wheels off some day) and I have used my Bitzenburger for years. I won't shoot arrows that don't have helical, offset, or both. I microadjust the jig to get good contact, and use cryo glues, but blazer vanes are hard to get full contact the whole length of the fletch. So as I'm considering a sub-6mm shaft for my next build (I mean 5mm or smaller when I say 'small diameter') I assume it will be even harder to get good contact on such a small diameter shaft.

Here are the Qs: What jig do you use to fletch your small diameter arrows with helical or offset? And do you have any advice before I spend some coin on this build?

Thanks in advance. I call this period of the summer Elk-Con-Bravo. I absolutely love browsing these threads and sharing information...

27-Jul-18
Grayling

27-Jul-18
On a 5mm (no experience on smaller shaft) a Bitzenburger will work to helical or offset. The longer the vane/feather the greater the helical.

The best helical I have ever gotten on a 3-fletch 2” Blazer is with a Bohning Helical Tower which is designed for 2” fletching.

I think (never used) that the Arizona E-Z Fletcher will do the same as the Bohning Tower.

27-Jul-18
Arizona mini for 2” vanes. Puts a nice 3 degree offset on them. Arizona mini max for vanes up to 3”. Puts a hard helical even on the skinniest shafts. I use both on Black Eagle X Impacts and Deep Impacts. Great little jigs.

27-Jul-18
The best jig money can buy is the Last Chance jig.

27-Jul-18
Arizona Mini. Puts great helical on my Axis with Blazers.

27-Jul-18
Bitzenberger for all diameters of shafts! I've used it from Victory VAPs to fat target arrows, they are the benchmark of fletching jigs!

27-Jul-18
I use a Bitzenberger for my 5mm Axis and fletch right helical without any problems. 3" vane as well.

28-Jul-18
Bitz works well on my 4mm arrows I usually fletch 4 fletch.

28-Jul-18
Arizona mini for skinny shafts and 3 fletch.

Edit: I have 2 minis and when using super glue I can fletch a dozen arrows in about 10 minutes. Load one, glue, clamp, set aside, repeat with the other, and when I am done with #2 the arrows in #1 are ready to come out. Repeat.

28-Jul-18
I use the JoJan multi. But with small vanes, I tried this. It works. Put the vane in clamp that you plan to glue. Then put a second vane farther up the clamp. That helps balance out the clamp. Oh, you don't glue the second vane.

28-Jul-18
I’ve used my Bitzenberger to 4 fletch Platinum Pierces and FMJ 5mm. Great contact for both, it took some adjusting to get it just right but that’s all.

28-Jul-18
Thanks all, some jigs I've never heard of and some good tips! Never considered a second unglued vane Boris, it will definitely help!

Looks like I'll be adjusting the allens on my Bitz for the first time in a decade, and I should expect good contact. And as soon as I lock it down I'll end up robin hooding several of my .302 OD arrows, I'm sure.

31-Jul-18
I use the JoJan with Blazers and everything else too. Thanks for the tip on the second vane Boris.

31-Jul-18
I have great luck with the AZ mini for blazers on my 5mm FMJ's. Puts a nice helical on them.

31-Jul-18
I hope it works for you guys. It does for me. Oh, welcome.

01-Aug-18
Boris, defining "it" and the related problem would be additive.

01-Aug-18
Matt- I know your neck hurts when you look up, so........this, from Mr. Boris" original post from above: ; ^ )

"I use the JoJan multi. But with small vanes, I tried this. It works. Put the vane in clamp that you plan to glue. Then put a second vane farther up the clamp. That helps balance out the clamp. Oh, you don't glue the second vane."

01-Aug-18
4MM micros (injexion/VAP size) three fletch, the best ive found is the AZ MIni.

Mark

01-Aug-18
Ha, I was late to the party.

01-Aug-18
Matt No problem. Like I said, it works for me. Oh, you will have to make some adjustments to your fletcher. The other thing that I was thinking of doing, was to get JoJans 90-180 degree arrow holder. The one I have now 75-105 degree, I think. Like my FITA coach said to me. Archery is nothing but experimenting. We are trying something new all the time, until we are happy with what we are doing.

01-Aug-18
I had a Bitz helical clamp I accidentally dropped on the floor and severely bent/dented the front edge. I chopped the entire clamp off a little in front of the iron plate for the magnet and it works MUCH better to fletch short vanes than the full length Bitz helical jig. Still doesn't get as much helical as I've seen from others using Bohning Tower or AZ EZ, but good enough for me to control fixed blade BH just fine.

• Sitka Gear