cmbbulldog 28-Jul-18
SDHNTR(home) 28-Jul-18
Jaquomo 28-Jul-18
PECO 28-Jul-18
Glunt@work 28-Jul-18
SDHNTR(home) 29-Jul-18
iceman 30-Jul-18
28-Jul-18
I drew a rifle private only cow tag. My buddy has the coveted bull tag and I’m going along to help so figured I’d do a little grocery shopping myself. This is a unique tag that allows me to hunt 9/1-11/30. It says clearly on the tag RIFLE, it does not say “any legal weapon.” So my question is, and I’ve looked all through the regs already, can I use my bow with this tag? I know you can with typical later season rifle tags, but not sure with this one. Thanks.

28-Jul-18
Yes

28-Jul-18
Yes, but you have to wear orange still during any rifle season.

28-Jul-18
Ahh, forgot about the orange thing. I can see why that would be required during a regular rifle season, but on this tag the only season going while I’m there is archery.

28-Jul-18
If you have a rifle tag you still have to wear orange, since its technically a "rifle season" for you. That goes even if you're hunting with a bow during that hunt. Heres another example: if you have a rifle bear tag and an archery elk license you are supposed to wear orange if you are carrying the bear tag even if you are only carrying a bow. I went around in circles with the District Wildlife Manager about this and she finally told me to carry orange in my pack and "take some hero photos while wearing orange" and I wouldn't get in trouble. For your situation, you still need to wear orange or just take your chances since you're hunting private land.

But fear not - they don't see orange. When I was guiding I called bulls into a few feet from hunters wearing pumpkin suits.

28-Jul-18
My wife also drew a private land late cow tag, it is good from Sept 1 thru Jan 31. Double check your tag you may be good thru end of January.

28-Jul-18
Unless you drew the only tag, there can be others with the same rifle tag. I'm not a fan of mandatory orange but I think its an excellent idea to wear it when others are hunting with rifles in the same area. Not all excellent ideas need to be forced on us through laws.

29-Jul-18
Thanks Jaq. I see the similarities with the bear tag. Lame, but not a big deal.

30-Jul-18
SD, we'll have some located for you before you get there ;)

• Sitka Gear