splitlimb13 03-Aug-18
SoDakSooner 03-Aug-18
Franklin 03-Aug-18
WV Mountaineer 03-Aug-18
LINK 03-Aug-18
swampokie 03-Aug-18
Aubs8 03-Aug-18
28-Jul-18
Looking to purchase pack and would appreciate recommendations? 99% of my hunting will be out of a base camp. Looking for good pack that can attach bow too? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

28-Jul-18
Horn hunter packs @ Sportsman's Guide..maybe the G2 day pack depending on how much gear you are carrying..

28-Jul-18
Big question is if your packing meat out ...

28-Jul-18
Just seen this is in the elk forum ...sorry. For a pack that can haul loads and that funtions great as day pack.. MR pop up 18 and 28 are amazing. Both can have bow lashed to it without issue. They are super comforatable and steamline in day pack mode...the when its depolyed it hauls a load fantastic. I have had mine up to 75 and its soild in all respects

28-Jul-18
EXO mountain gear . Nicest pack I've owned. The meat packing system is unreal!

28-Jul-18
How much you want to spend is the big question

28-Jul-18
Boy, you're going to get a bunch of answers. Everyone thinks is the pack they have is the "best". I own a Kuiu Icon Pro, Exo 3500, and a Kifaru lite frame with the new Muskeg pack. I like them all and use them for different hints. I'd try to get my hands on all three of these and Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier and find the one that fits you best.

28-Jul-18
Since this is in the elk post I would suggest either Kifaru or Stone Glacier. At some point you will likely be packing meat, antlers, and a cape? Both Kifaru and Stone Glacier frames are capable of 100+ lb loads plus are super light frames for day hunting. If you happen to get an elk down you can pack out a hefty load your first trip. I bought Kifaru because of it's flexibility with bags and other component options. Kifaru has a fairly large list of bags that go on the same frame. Kifaru and SG bags compress super tight to the frame which are great for day hunting. There are options for side pockets, lids, etc where I have quick, quiet, and easy access to my spotting scope, tripod, raingear, and other gear that I use on a regular basis while hunting. For me it's worth having a frame capable of hefty, bulky loads because I usually harvest my critters in steep and deep places where I really don't want to waste a trip. If you are pinched for cash you can usually find great deals on Kifaru or Stone Glacier frames and bags slightly used on Rokslide classified section or elsewhere. If you do much back country hunting it will be well worth the investment!

28-Jul-18

28-Jul-18
I am a big fan of Kifaru packs. For all my base camp set ups I run a hunter frame with a cargo panel. On the back of the panel I put a large side pocket and a large belt pouch. I don’t think you can get the side pocket anymore however there are other options like a spotting scope pocket. I have enough storage for a small first aid kit, kill kit, rain gear, jacket, food and water. If I take the spotter and tripod I just lash the jacket on the outside. The cargo panel comes with enough lashing straps you could lash your bow to it if need be.

Last year I hauled out 2/3 of my boned out bull in one load. The pack handled the weight extremely well.

28-Jul-18
Kifaru. I have a pack that's 20 years old, still good as new, and would still haul out elk quarters comfortably.

Presuming, of course, that you're packing out meat. The new frames and packs are even better. I've got a Mountain Warrior that will haul out a quarter, and compress down well. Great pack.

28-Jul-18

28-Jul-18
Get Kifaru and be done. I like the mountain warrior cause I can use as a day pack or a 10 day backcountry hunt in alaska.

28-Jul-18
Badlands 2200. Plenty of storage and sturdy enough to pack a hind quarter with ease.

28-Jul-18

Elkoholic's Link
Kind of ridiculous video but gives a good idea of how well Badlands packs are made.

28-Jul-18
Kifaru. That way everyone will think you're cool

; ^ )

28-Jul-18
X2 on the EXO. Have the 3500.

28-Jul-18
It’s hard to beat an EXO for quality and customer service but Kifaru and SG are worth a look. All the others are s step below in my opinion

28-Jul-18
I'm not sure if I would agree about a 2200. I had trouble getting a mature bull hind quarter into mine and it has no frame, load lifters, comfortable belt, sternum strap adjustments, solid shoulder straps, etc, to handle 100 lb loads on steep, uneven terrain. I made the mistake of trying to haul out an elk hind qtr on a first load. I split out a strap plus it just about wore out my back/legs since the pack sagged and torqued my back so much...there's no frame to hold the weight/bulk in place, up high and tight against my shoulders and back. Daypacks are really not designed for oversized loads! With that said, I've gotten years upon years use out of my Sitka 2200 but 40 lbs is about the most I ever pack comfortably with it!

29-Jul-18
You need to give us a price range you want to end up in, otherwise you will not be able to narrow anything down from this post.

29-Jul-18

29-Jul-18
Get a pack you like. For me it was the belt praise that led me to try Kifaru. I like them. I now own three of them. Last year I didn’t own any. And, I’m a tight wad. But, they are that comfortable and important to me. I’ve tried others. I’m sticking with the Kifaru.

29-Jul-18
I have owned Mystery ranch, kifaru, kuiu and Seek Outside packs. The Seek Outside is the one that fits me best. They are just as durable as kifaru, I have many miles and loads on mine. For me the lumbar Pad on the belt of the kifaru is to thick to be comfortable and they are a fairly heavy pack, Kuiu's frame wasn't tall enough for good load lifter straps, the belt wasn't wide enough or long enough to be comfortable for me and I worried about the durability of the frame. Mystery ranch was very heavy and no functioning load lifters.

A pack is one of those things that is an individuals preference. You have to try on different packs with weight in them and try them out. Not just for a few minutes and also see how the feel when walking up and down steep slopes.

29-Jul-18
I like mine, a Sandpiper Pack Mule, for hauling anything on. I attach my hunting pack right to it...... I can easily take that off, and haul meet, firewood anything, strong and light, with great strap system and harness...... may not be what you are looking for, but you can google it up

29-Jul-18
Look at the Alps OutdoorZ Hybrid X. Sweet pack. Not as light as a Kifaru but well made and cheaper. I have the Commander X and it is a beast.

29-Jul-18
Kifaru. My set up is similar to Michael's but the options are endless....including ways to attach a bow.

...and I've never once been accused of being cool.

29-Jul-18
We're not talking about self motivational speeches in front of the mirror...

29-Jul-18
Alice

29-Jul-18
"We're not talking about self motivational speeches in front of the mirror..."

Sounds like you have some experience in that

01-Aug-18
The Kuiu Icon Pro series. Choose your size and never look back.

01-Aug-18
I’ll give another vote for Kifaru. I have the hunter frame and reckoning bag. My only other experience is with the Kuiu icon pro. Those can be had on rockslide like new for $250. For a day pack I wouldn’t be scared of the Kuiu especially at the used price point. Kifaru sells for nearly the same price used or new. When it comes to packing more than daypack kinda weight, the Kifaru is hard to beat. Kifaru materials also seam a good deal more durable, I don’t see a Kuiu going 20 years and more. It’s all about what you want out of your bag and what your willing to spend.

01-Aug-18
Exo

01-Aug-18
I looked hard at Mystery Ranch,Kifaru,and EXO. I went with EXO and do not regret my decision.

01-Aug-18
Kifaru

02-Aug-18
Badlands? 2200? He's looking for recommendations ;) you're trying to kill him :)

02-Aug-18

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
splitlimb13's embedded Photo
My ultimate pack recommendation!!!! Literally feels like you're not even carrying the elk ;-)

02-Aug-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
With the unit I am hunting this year this could end up in the truck.

03-Aug-18
Mystery Ranch and Kifaru…...made in America.

03-Aug-18
Mystery Ranch’s hunting line is no longer made in America. Hasn’t been for a couple years now.

03-Aug-18
Mountaineer, you nailed it !! One of the reasons I went with EXO!

03-Aug-18
I like my Kuiu 5200. I don't beat on it though. I would like to look at Kifaru, but at the time it was way out of my budget. For what you get for the price IMO, KUIU isn't bad, and like a previous poster said, plenty to be had on Rokslide. I've had 60 to 70 lbs in mine and it handles it with ease.

03-Aug-18
I like the Mystery Ranch stuff but there is a lot to like out there. I just ordered a MR 3 day assault pack as my new everyday carry.

03-Aug-18
Sorry WV.....Mystery Ranch STILL have some American made packs.

03-Aug-18
my new 3DAP is American made

03-Aug-18
Yes they do brother. Just not in the hunting line. However, Uncle Sam will give you one if you qualify.

This isn’t new. They switched a couple years ago to making their hunting line outside the country. The Phillipines I believe. Their military offerings are being made here as that is MANDATORY of all military gear. It’s federal law. Which is why the assault pack is American made.

IKifaru everything is sourced and made right here. That’s not the case with mystery ranch. I’m not pointing that out to make anyone defensive. Only correcting the misconception. Take care and God Bless men.

03-Aug-18
Making America Grear Again, one backpack user at a time. ;)

03-Aug-18
I have a badlands summit and I love it for haulin elk. 2200 would be better foe anything smaller but summit is my ultimate elk hauler. Not sure where its made but all my cool kids camo is made in china so I guess that is the country for quality. ie kuiu sitka first lite

03-Aug-18
Depends on your budget...I'm not as experienced as many....I loved my Badlands 2800...love my Badlands Clutch even more... warranty it first rate!

Take care! Mike

• Sitka Gear