longbeard 30-Jul-18
Cheesehead Mike 30-Jul-18
Starfire 30-Jul-18
longbeard 30-Jul-18
Tracker 30-Jul-18
DMTJAGER 31-Jul-18
Ermine 01-Aug-18
29-Jul-18
OOPS, sorry meant Rocket Steelhead BH's NOT Steelforce which are an entirely different expandable BH. I am looking for some first hand experiences using the older made in USA three bladed Rocket Steelhead chisel point expandable blade broad heads. I'm asking because I came across ten packs of them at a local garage sale cheap enough to risk buying and even though I have never used expandables had heard great things about these heads. I first was made aware of them by Iowa bow hunting legend Bill Winke and IIRC they are the only BH he uses and has used for a very, very long, if that counts for anything. Not sure if I will ever use them was a case of to good of a price to avoid being a victim of a purely impulse buy.

29-Jul-18
i killed alot of stuff. the bows got faster and the rubber bands became unreliable. love the broadhead though. one year i shot two bear, mule deer, whitetail, javelina, antelope and choked on a elk. not broadheads fault. go double band if u buy them.

29-Jul-18
TJW, how fast is to fast? I shoot a 2014 Darton DS3714 set at 55-56lbs DW with a 29" DL and 100grn heads. My best guess at FPS is in the mid to high 260's. Total arrow weight is 421 grains W/BH

29-Jul-18
They just absolutely suck....just to help you out I will give you yer money back on em. There used to be a guy on here that went by 5 shot. He field tested heads and did a write up for us. Seemed the Steelhead out penetrated all other expandables and some fixed blade. It is a great head, try em, you will be addicted.

29-Jul-18
They are a great expandable Head. Maybe the best

29-Jul-18
I have killed mature whitetails, pronghorn and elk with steelhead 125's. I have had complete pass throughs on all and impressive blood trails as well. I shoot a Bowtech Prodigy set at 72lbs, 435grain arrow. It chronos at 296fps. I have had absolutely zero issues with the steelheads. Will be packing them to WY for pronghorn again this September!

If you have the 125's and decide that you do not want them, I would definitely buy them! Pete

29-Jul-18
maybe I didnt maintain bands right? these guys are shooting faster speeds than me. but when they malfunction theres a crack on release and it does affect the flight. I still love the broadhead. using slicks right now.

29-Jul-18
they are great, get some o rings that rocket uses now, i still use some of the rubber bands but they dry rot so i replace them often. i bought lots of the XL's when i heard they were going to discontinue them they are all i use in my high poundage bows. my 50 pound late season z3 i shoot the ultimate steel fixed.

30-Jul-18
Ya I’d double check how good your bands are. I’ve never had an issue but I always made sure I had good bands.

30-Jul-18
They are amazing heads. Just replace the rubber bands every year. I like the rubber bands. I know they aren't going to open in flight. I stocked up on old 125s and 100s. Still use them as my first choice head. They have never failed me.

30-Jul-18
They have a well deserved excellent reputation. Killed quite a few aminals with the 125s, at 1.25 diameter they were a solid head.

30-Jul-18
Is a Pizzly an aminal? If yes then I need said broadhead.

30-Jul-18
I’ve never used the Steelheads but have killed many critters with the Sidewinders. I was very impressed with the Sidewinders

30-Jul-18
JTV the Sidewinders I used performed very well as far as killing and cutting and blood trails etc, but I eventually gave up on them because they did not hold up well at all. After every animal I shot there was always a broken or bent blade or even a bent ferrule. The critters were still dead, but eventually I moved on to something more rugged.

30-Jul-18
I killed my first bull with a Sidewinder and there wasn't much left of it afterward; tip broke off and all the blades fell out but the bull died.

I wonder why Bill Winke switched to Wasp Jak Hammers...? Sponsor money maybe...

30-Jul-18
Just go to the orthodontist and get some rubber bands for braces. if your really shooting fast maybe put two on but I would not use and o-ring. They weren't design for them.

30-Jul-18
JTV have you ever tried Spitfires? I’ve killed a few with them also. They seem to be fairly rugged. And lately I’ve killed a few with Shwaker

30-Jul-18
I have killed elk, deer, bear, caribou and two Aoudad with Rocket Steelheads. Still shoot them and plan to for my hunting days. I have never had a problem with the bands. I change them out each year. If you are concerned ad a second on on. I have a friend that does that but I have never seen the need. If you don't want them send me a PM I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

31-Jul-18
Thanks to all for the replies. After I posted this and read the replies, I went and dug them out of storage. Turns out I bought more than I remembered. I have ten 3 packs, and another 11 heads that are new but loose in a ZipLock baggie. Not surprised I forgot how many I bought was at least 5-6 years ago so If I decide to go with them should have enough for at least 12-15 deer seasons. Again thanks for the great information.

01-Aug-18
Rocket steelheads are the best expandable ever made I would think. Their small size makes them shoot really well. And they are a non fail head

• Sitka Gear