spike78 03-Aug-18
Scar Finga 03-Aug-18
ground hunter 03-Aug-18
Destroyer350 04-Aug-18
BOHUNTER09 05-Aug-18
Huntosolo 06-Aug-18
toomanytoyz 06-Aug-18
30-Jul-18
It seems that after 12 years of buying gear I keep finding new stuff I "need" each year.

What new gear did you buy this year?

For me, I got a hammock system from Hennessy Hammocks with rain fly and 4 season insulation system, a Titanium alcohol stove, a pack to go with my alps outdoorz commander x frame, a 5 oz collapsible cup, a titanium long handle spoon, a thumb release to replace the one I thought I lost then found....so now I have 2....lol, I think that is it..........oh yeah and 3 tasco game cams for $28 each that take decent pics as you have seen from my elk forum posts.

30-Jul-18
2nd year in a row I said to myself “I finally have everything I need.” If I started counting all the stuff I’ve bought this year you’d think I didn’t own a piece of hunting equipment. That being said I did sell a ton of stuff to make room for the new stuff and justify my purchases to myself. Unbelievable

30-Jul-18
I told myself last year I just bought the bow I am going to keep for awhile.

Well that idea went out the window on Saturday. I bought a new Hoyt RX 1 Ultra. Last bow I am buying for at least 3 years. I swear. At least that’s how I justified buying it on Saturday.

I also decided to try the Sitka Mountain pants this year.

30-Jul-18
Only important new things I acquired this year were a new BA UL tent, a Marmot Helium 15 down bag, and a super lightweight 40V lithium chainsaw for the ever-increasing deadfall.

Oh, and my beloved Rambo bike! Almost forgot about that! ;-)

30-Jul-18
Ooohhhh, yer gonna love that marmot helium bag. I love mine.

30-Jul-18
Micheal, if u r ever in the Boulder area I would live to buy you a drink and pick your brain about your hunts with Kyle in the Flattops......

30-Jul-18
Yes, i am a fanboy of your hunts with Kyle.

30-Jul-18
I needed a 'tweener down backpacking bag since my trusty North Face finally wore out. Lot of miles and hundreds of nights in that old war horse. I did a ton of research and for what I do it fits the bill.

31-Jul-18
Since last year

Elite Impulse 31

Kuiu Icon Pro 1850

31-Jul-18
Actually, don't think I bought a damn thing this year except a new truck and Wyo cow tag so far.

31-Jul-18
I picked up an Enlightened Equipment down quilt...... I was on the fence about quilts but so far I love it. A Spot Hogg fast Eddie 3 pin slider. And a Rambo E-bike.

31-Jul-18
Bit the bullet and got a Stone Glacier pack and a slick bag.

31-Jul-18
Bought a new used Centaur longbow this year that I haven’t shot enough to know if I’m gonna keep. Got a new Day One Predator shirt and hat. Got a second pop up blind for antelope hunting.

31-Jul-18
Bought a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag a few years back. Excellent bag. The high grade down is expensive but really good. That thing packs so small and light for backpacking. When I got it I wondered how that light thing could keep me warm. It does. You'll like it. Got the Hoyt Redwkx 1 Ultra in January and been shooting it for months. Awesome bow. You will enjoy that also. Only thing I bought lately are a few new diaphragm mouth calls. Oh, and several Mtn House breakfasts. Live on their entrees all September but never tried the breakfasts. Big move for me! So... after a good nights sleep in my Marmot, a good breakfast. grab my new bow, and diaphragm calls and head out after an elk! Geez, do they even stand a Chance??

31-Jul-18
Kifaru lite frame, KUIU gaitors, and switched to wellco mountain boots.

31-Jul-18
I almost forgot the Scarpa boots..... I don't think they will make the cut.

31-Jul-18
Ha! I had some catching up to do so milynlist existensive but these were the “big” items

Swaro slc 10x Exo 3500 Slick Tripod Big Agnes Kuiu peloton top Mar stove and some pots

Some little stuff here and there but all used and fairly good deals. Not ready for backpacking yet but by next year I will.

I also use this stuff camping with the family which helps offset the costs...

Ben

31-Jul-18
Wow, I've been slacking...I've bought nothing new this year. So far.

31-Jul-18
I just remembered I bought a Vortex Razor too..... I wonder what else I am forgetting?

31-Jul-18
All new camo and boots for my son...again. That is 6 years in a row. He is damn near my height now and I hope he'll need new camo for a couple more years. I'd love for him to break 6'.

31-Jul-18
Jordan, Who is Kyle? Where are these flattops you speak of?

On a series note. I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

I am definitely up for drinking a beer or two with a fellow bow hunter from bowsite.

31-Jul-18
Oh I forgot my truglow single pin sight. Loving it now that it is dialed in at 40 and 50 yards. Just need to work on me now. Lol

31-Jul-18
I haven't gotten anything for me, but my son on the other hand has a new Mystery Ranch Metcalf, a new stove, new boots, new rain gear, new camo, and I think some other items.

On a side note, if the wife is of the understanding that all things you are buying are to keep your son alive on his first elk trip you can buy a lot more stuff. :)

31-Jul-18
I bought a kuiu 1800 ultra and a 14x16 davis tent with large stove, I have everything I need and then some.

31-Jul-18
I got a MBG Assent 5 pin slider, Magnus Black Hornet broadheads, made the switch from mechanicals, some new arrow wraps and a new generator for my trailer.

31-Jul-18
Nothing yet. I’m not elk hunting this year since I didn’t draw. I am hunting Barbary sheep and Oryx so will probably get some new binoculars. Looking at a pair of Maven’s.

31-Jul-18

Flynarrow's embedded Photo
Flynarrow's embedded Photo

31-Jul-18
Got a 0 degree bag on Amazon used in the spring in below freezing and it was comfy.

Etek stove. New selewa boots.

Thermarest pad because I broke the fill valve on my air one (ended up being a good thing now. New one keeps the heat better).

Sawyer mini with a 2L platypus pouch.

A black diamond headlamp. And some bear spray to ease my mind a bit more.

31-Jul-18
My new realmX arrives today, a Carter rx1, 18 fmj's, 6 exodus bh's, thats about it

31-Jul-18
Upgraded binos (Swarovski SLC) and rangefinder (Sig Saurer Kilo). Picked up the new First Lite Kiln 250 hoody. Switched to a Carter RX1 release.

31-Jul-18
Carcus good luck with the new RealmX. I'm still loving my Reign 7 but I did shoot the RealmX. Nice bow. Nothing new for me this year except some safety lines.

31-Jul-18
Picked up a 1964 Ben Pearson Special 50 lb recurve..going traditional this year!

31-Jul-18
I usually get a new stick bow or four every year, other than that some new clothing pieces, Sitka Ascent pants which I'm afraid I won't be able to wear till after season (dad bod in full bloom right now), First Lite Sawtooth Vest. Also bought a small wood burning stove for my smaller shelter, really wish I had done that sooner, needed it last year bad on the last week of the season!

31-Jul-18
I got a new game camera for my birthday, if that counts. I have traded at least 3 trad bows for different trad bows, if that counts. I did buy a turkey box call kit. I do need to pick up a few new elk mouth calls and possibly a pack of lighted knocks.

31-Jul-18
I spent $12 on a new face mask.

31-Jul-18
My new & improved ( version ~30) trailer is 99% ready to go. 5Hx6Wx10L down the road, expands to 7Hx 8Wx12L for camp. Fully hard sided (& roofed) - a crazy "nesting" Rube Goldberg.

31-Jul-18
Went a little nuts this year, not elk hunting just whitetails here in MI. FL Corrugate Guide pants, 2 pair of Obsidian pants, 2 Aerowool shirts and a 1/4 zip mid-layer. Plus gloves, balaclava, hat and the leafy jacket and hood, all FL stuff. Then there's the Vprtrk boots, 3 pairs of FL socks and drawers. Treestand, 10X10 Kodiak tent, cot, Klymit Deluxe XL pad and some other camping stuff. Last but not least, a new Cari-bow Amisk and some D&M Custom arrows tipped with new VPA 3 blades. Loving this set-up.

Good luck this season guys!

31-Jul-18
A new 10 x 14 Kodiak tent that I just received Friday. Man is that nice, from the time I opened the box till it was up .... 12 minutes, by myself. On sale $499.00, free shipping and no tax!

Oh, and a new truck couple months ago.

31-Jul-18
The Phelps Born and Raised Bugle tube and the Born and Raised diaphragms...

31-Jul-18
I forgot those Mike. Same as Cheesehead Mike. Went from Primos and Carlton diaphragms, with a HS tube, to the Phelps Born and Raised diaphragms and tube. I like these calls.

31-Jul-18
Bear Cruze lite and Scott hero release for my 6 year old daughter. Whalen hooker release and slick trick standards for my nine year old daughter. I bought some Sitka clothing and a Kifaru duplex with reckoning bag. Man I woulda swore I hadn’t bought anything this year. ;)

31-Jul-18
Oh jeez.... I also got a Alaskan Guide Creations bino harness.

31-Jul-18
I just remembered my kelty down bag too. I bought an xl cot but that was for my wife when we go camping. ;)

31-Jul-18
You guys are nuts, dont you know your wife will use this thread as evidence against you.

FOR THE RECORD; I HAVEN'T BOUGHT A SINGLE THING FOR THE UPCOMING ARCHERY SEASON IN IOWA. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We won't mention that little trip out west I'm taking next month.

31-Jul-18
Crispi guide boots, Sitka apparel, vortex spotting scope, first lite apperel, tight spot quiver, dozen fmj that’s about it

31-Jul-18
I upgraded all of my backcountry camping gear this year, giving a new pair of Scarpa's a test drive, first time in forever I have no new clothing purchases. The upgraded camping gear pretty much took care of my budget but I hope to be a lot more comfortable in spike camp!

31-Jul-18
Stone Glacier 5900 pack!

31-Jul-18
I bought a G5 Prime Logic bow and mounted a new GoPro on it.

31-Jul-18
Seek Outside Redcliff shelter first time going floorless.

31-Jul-18
Bad bow shoulder forced me to buy a 50# Elite Impulse. Also have a dozen new Camo Beman ICS Hunters and half dozen new GT Hunter XTs. Thinking about getting some fixed heads to shoot out of the 50# bow even though it's just as fast as my 60# Synergy. Cabelas has a good deal on NAP Hellrazors I might try. Or Magnus Stingers.

31-Jul-18
Finally retired the old pack frame and sprung for a Stone Glacier XCurve.

31-Jul-18
Honestly, for the first year in as long as I can remember, nothing. However we moved and I have not gotten my list out and tried to find all my stuff, so that may change. Will have to do some resupply on food stuffs and such, but other than wanting a new rangefinder(old one still kinda works) I can't think of much I "need". OH, maybe some new arrows and broadheads, but they are just replacements. Not changing the setup.

Now there is this thing called a Fierce Carbon Edge that is calling my name, but that doesn't affect my bowhunting.

31-Jul-18

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
The mountain goat tag has had me in shopper mode all summer. Notable purchases include a vortex viper 15-45x65 spotter with an UL tripod, black diamond trekking poles and headlamp, big Agnes fly creek 2 man tent and UL sleeping pad, titanium cooking pot and skillet, sea to summit pillow, leatherman sidekick,first lite rain suit, and lowa ranger boots. Still think I might need to upgrade my sleeping bag but that’s the last thing I need. Hope this billy is still where I found him on September 19th. Poudre

01-Aug-18
EXO back pack , more broadhead ,more Sitka pants shirts and hoodie ( subalpine)

01-Aug-18
Added a few things to my Kuiu gear. Still love the Attack pants and bought a second pair. Trying out a new BStinger 15" slider stab. So far I like it. Boot shopping..

01-Aug-18
I did buy some new lenses for scouting and taking pics....a 75-300 mm canon and a 500 mm with 2x doubler to get 1000 mm Opteka. Very jazzed to try the donkey dong lens from up high and a mile away.

01-Aug-18
Hmmm... just a couple things: GK Silver Flame 125XLs (upgrade from regular 125s for wider cutting diameter), Tenzing TZ 2200 Pack, Osprey 2.5L hydration system, Nockturnal Green Nocks, Leupold 1600 TRB Laser RF (to replace Leupold Wind River Bino’s/RF my daughter dropped! RIP...), Scott Echo Release, Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX boots (fit like a glove!), 3 pair Darn Tough Cushion Boot Socks -1405, 3 pair REI Silk Liners, 2 Mathews Custom Yellow Harmonic Stabilizer Lites, 1 Bitzenberger straight clamp, Bohning X vanes, and Pine Ridge glue for in field fletching repairs, HME Portable Ozone Air Cleaner, Havalon Forge knife, 60A, 70A, 115XT and guthook replacement blades, 2 bottles Tidal Vision antibacterial Meat Protector spray (thinkin’ positive!), Berry mini Thunder Bugle and 4 RP Spartan Run Flat 12 ply tires for the ATV. Amazon and UPS just love me. That’s it for now but thinking about: Ozonics HR-300 Package deal, Ultimate Predator Shoot -thru Cow Elk Decoy. 16th year elk hunting so already had most of what I needed except for just those couple or so items above. ;-)

01-Aug-18
Got a pair of Nikon rangefinding binos. The cat's meow. Going to really help cut down the vital seconds between identification and getting a range. Also will help with follow up shots in determining initial shot placement, and if still in range for a second arrow. Going to get a new pair of boots. Replacement broad heads, as always. Some more Sitka clothing, Other odds and ends. Usually stuff I don't necessarily "need" but that makes life a little smoother. Ironic how year to year I always find stuff to buy.

01-Aug-18
Upgraded to a larger tent (Marmot Tungsten 3P), and finally got a new pair of gaiters after 20+ years, and a lot of miles.

01-Aug-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Once again I thought I had all I needed which I do but there were a few things that were too good!

Sitka, Apex Hoody and these which come 6 to a box:)

01-Aug-18

SixLomaz's Link
@arrowbuck: citric acid powder and ground pepper will take care of the meat in the field at a lower cost and easy to carry as you will be using the water you find along the way. See above link for other suggestions on how to field care for meat.

Other suggestions from another forum:

"Always preferred pepper if I didn’t have a game bag or muslin to wrap meat in. If the temperature is warm or hot (AZ) you can dampen the muslin/game bag and it will start to cool through evaporation. This kills two birds with one stone so to speak as you start to cool the meat as well as keeping critters off of it. If you don’t want to buy game bags you can always go to the local fabric store and buy cotton muslin by the yard and then either sew it to the desire size or do what I do and just wrap the meat like a mummy and then secure with some safety pins. You end up with a thicker layer of protection than normal bags and they fit the meat no matter how or what shape you cut it up into.

The citrus (acid) doesn’t physically cook meat through heat, what it does instead is cause an enzymatic change that firms the flesh and makes it drier by thickening the cellular walls and coagulating the proteins in the meat. This changes not only the physical properties of the meat but also the flavor, which can be beneficial and detrimental depending on your palette and desired use for the meat.

As for it’s use as a germicide it can offer some prevention of germ growth due to the PH of the acid, but the benefits are minimal over long term as the PH changes as the acid is absorbed and degrades. As for protection from flies and the like, I’ve seen the little buggers go after citrus like it was honey, so I wouldn’t plan on it helping there. "

01-Aug-18
Yet from another source:

"Been getting a few questions about how often citric acid should be applied in the field. Curious what others have found to be most effective, but here's what we have found to be true (as a rule):

FIRST application: Mix 1 oz citric acid to about 1 qt water and spray all meat surfaces thouroughly. This mixture renders an acid wash of straight acid 1-2pH, but once applied the resulting pH is mixed with moisture inherent with the surface moisture (blood, water, vapor, etc). The final surface pH settles somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 pH after about 4-6 hours, initially. This acidity is highly effective at retarding initial bacterial growth and helps protect meat surface from initial bacterial invasion expected during the field process. CLEAN field care and handling of game meat is vital to the final taste and quality. Remember CLEAN, COOL, and DRY principles of preservation.

Once the meat is bagged, surface pH tests suggest acid levels continue to stabalize over the next 24 hours if no "new" water is allowed to contact the meat surface. It's vital to allow meat to continue cooling as quickly as possible during the first 12-24 hours to prevent deep tissue spoilage (bone sour) to occur.

After the first 24 hours, pH testing often suggests surface levels will balance out somewhere between 3.5-5 pH. This is a great start, since common spoilage bacteria is retarded with acid levels <5.5 pH. If hunters do not have pH test strips to perform frequent checks of surface acid levels, here's what they should do over the course of their field storage:

SECOND application: Our studies indicate that pH levels begin to rise to above 5 pH after the initial 24-hours post-application of the first wash, so occasional maintenance applications will be necessary to prevent future growth of spoilage bacteria on the surface of game meat. Our rule of thumb is to re-apply a new and complete citric acid wash every 2 days while the meat is stored in the field. This every-other-day application of citric acid will help ensure surface pH levels remain BELOW 5 pH.

AS NEEDED applications thereafter: If you have simple pH test strips in your kit, check surface levels in the wettest areas (around joints, between folds, etc.) every evening when performing normal sensory checks (smell, touch, visual). Cut away any suspicious meat (bloodshot, bruising, odd odors, foreign debris,etc.). Anytime surface testing reveals pH levels creeping toward 5 pH, reapply a new citric acid wash. Maintenance applications might be required more often on float trips (with wet or warm climates).

Without pH test strips, plan on a maintenance dose to be reapplied every 2 days until the game meat is transported safely from the field to its final point of processing. This will help safeguard your game without the threat of surface bacterial spoilage.

Along with CLEAN handling from start to finish, this is perhaps the best approach to properly handle edible meat in the field.

Good luck. "

01-Aug-18
Treating the Meat With Citric Acid

You can purchase food grade citric acid powder at most pharmacies or feed stores. When mixed with water and applied to game, citric acid slows bacteria growth and seals the meat with a layer of acidity that deters flies from laying eggs on the meat.

Once the meat is hung, remove the bags. Mix the citric acid powder with water. Use two ounces of citric acid per quart of water. Spray the meat with the citric acid mixture until the mixture begins to run off the meat. Don’t worry about the citric acid mixture getting the meat too wet. The mixture dries quickly.

01-Aug-18
Thanks for the tip SixLomaz....!! Great info...!!!

01-Aug-18
I have carried a small spray bottle....8 oz or so.....filled 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar. Not as light as dry pepper and citric acid powder but it works well and it quick to use to keep the flies and yellowjackets off the meat while butchering in the field.

01-Aug-18
35 years+ and counting and I'm still scrounding up new stuff and things to buy. My list is pretty extensive this year inspite of my thinking I'm just 'just getting stuff I need'.

OnXMaps chips for Utah and Montana from camofire.com 2/3rds of a quiver of UA ridge reaper camo a second bowtech for $300 as a backup a 'few' new 4k stealthcams ++++

You'd think you'd be done with stuff and things after almost 40 years at this game, but addictions are just that !!!

Cheers and good luck on all you'alls hunts this fall.

Pete

02-Aug-18
Way more than I really need, all this just to shoot an elk lol. Seriously though, the improvements in clothing, camping gear and such just keeps getting better.

02-Aug-18
I should have bought a condom at the gas station......4th kid due in time for the Turkey hunt this spring.

02-Aug-18
I just got a brand new... wait for it......... ATTITUDE!!! ;)

02-Aug-18
There are things I don’t publish on the internet...

02-Aug-18
I just ordered a pair of Crispi Wyoming boots. Really hope they work out. Also got a new phone that takes good pictures.

02-Aug-18
LOL at Twinetickler! Never skimp on important equipment!

Seriously though, congrats!

02-Aug-18
Mathews Halon X and Chill X.

Thinking of picking up the Mystery Ranch pop up 28. Promising pack for the day hunter.

02-Aug-18
I’m going with s microbial meat spray I found on Amazon, hopefully I’ll get to use it.

02-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
My new Gearhead bow. Doubt I will ever shoot another brand!

02-Aug-18
Nothing new, but added to my Iron Will broad head inventory.

03-Aug-18
New D loop installed last night and 3 more VAP Gamer 300's.

03-Aug-18
That bow is sweet Brad. We shot them at the Harrisburg Show last year. Definitely would be great for a mountain pack-in type sheep hunt.

I need to stay away from Kuiu's sales and wish list items... Only thing I'd like to have is the Yukon Rain set for Kodiak...

I used some Christmas gift cards this year to purchase a Bear Fence. Outside of that, I'm too booked up guiding this year to do much hunting myself other than Mule Deer.

If I'm not busy guiding, I would love to accompany my dad on His Colorado Bull Moose hunt which is about 40 miles from my house- It would be cool to be there when he arrows his bull and completes his Super Ten.

03-Aug-18
New bugle tube and diaphragms, new fletch jig with fletchings, new socks. Lots of other stuff I wanted just couldn’t do it this year. Blew the budget on my Wyo elk tag! ;-)

03-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Mathewsman ive been asked about how’s the torque due to the short ATA and not too shabby! The only nay sayers are the ones who never shot one.

03-Aug-18
Spike78, You are supposed to be further away than just the length of the arrow you shoot! Just Kidding, that is an interesting bow! I would be interested in shooting one!

03-Aug-18
Yeah, what is really odd about them is you can take the handle off, flip it over and it can be a left or right handed bow- with a string loop they strangely are super stable and accurate bows.

03-Aug-18
Reign 6 First Lite rain gear Kuiu merino wool top 2 man inflatable kayak for moose hunt Bogs high boots

03-Aug-18
Scar just a little further then the arrow lol plus it would be pretty hard to push in on a brand new Block target! Mathewsman I bought the slider grip which allows me to adjust it forward backward left and right for torque and .5” drawlength. I torqued at first but found it was me more then the bow as I have been shooting the recurve with a slight cant.

03-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Now here is the next gear purchase Tooth of the Arrow XL heads. These are big AND sharp! Solid one piece like a Trick and VPA together.

03-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Yikes

03-Aug-18
I was joking about the distance... I think the bow looks pretty cool!

03-Aug-18
Vortex range finder...... pack mule frame.......Black Hunter long bow

04-Aug-18
Exo 5500 pack, Tarptent Stratospire 1, Black Diamond headlamp ,Phelps diaphragm calls and bugle tube and a Sea to Summit aeros pillow. Can't wait to put everything to the test this fall!

05-Aug-18
8 new viper trick broadheads and a set of Day One cowboy fleece bibs in ASAT on the way

06-Aug-18
This spring I replaced my old pack and hammock with a Mystery Ranch Selway and Clark NX 270. So far, I’ve been pleased with both purchases.

06-Aug-18
Mountain Hardwear Hylo 3p tent, Marmot Never Summer 0° down bag, Kuiu 6000 ultra pack, Kuiu Alpine pants and Peloton 97 top, Sawyer mini water filter, Kuiu Yukon gaiters, and two more pair Gore socks. We're gonna spike camp closer to the elk instead of base camp.

• Sitka Gear