WV Mountaineer 31-Jul-18
WV Mountaineer 31-Jul-18
ElkNut1 31-Jul-18
elkstabber 01-Aug-18
ElkNut1 01-Aug-18
Treeline 01-Aug-18
wildwilderness 02-Aug-18
31-Jul-18
Have killed plenty of elk with Zwickeys and Snuffers. I went to Snuffers after losing an elk that I hit good with a 2-blade Zwickey.

Snuffers have been very, very good for killing elk for me and anyone else I’ve set up with them. I have probably killed over 10 elk with Snuffers. Still have at least a couple of lifetimes supply of them in all sizes including some of Roger Rothar’s originals.

My bows have been longbows from 55 to 70 pounds with wood, aluminum, and carbon arrows for elk over the years.

The lightest arrows I’ve used have been in the 425 grain range. I have had 425 grain Snuffer tipped arrows blow completely through both sides of elk rib cages and stick in the dirt on the other side on several occasions.

The 125 grain glue on Snuffer is as light as I will go and prefer the heavier ones for elk. These days I will use different inserts and broadheads to get to the weight that tunes my arrow to my bow.

I have made up Snuffers with inserts over 300 grains for different arrow setups for my son who was shooting a lower draw weight. He killed mule deer, white tails, hogs, elk, and bear with that setup.

VPA also makes a great 3-blade that is tougher. Just costs a lot more. I have used them with great results as well.

The Wensell is another good 3-blade, but the tip needs to be dubbed back or they tend to curl on bone. I had one flattened out on an elk. Killed the bull fine, but the blades were squished together flat when I recovered it from out of the offside shoulder.

Good luck this fall!

31-Jul-18
Magnus Snuffers are my choice of the 3. Used them many years. Mike Sohm is good people...one of the best and he makes a quality product he stands behind 100% Only Sitka has impressed me as much. I am using the black hornet now........

31-Jul-18
I have been shooting Snuffers for about 10 years now and have killed 4 bulls with them and several deer mule and whitetails . Highly recommend them. Magnus warranty is as good as it gets !

31-Jul-18
Oh, one other thing, the newer Snuffers by Magnus are much better than the older ones for quality control!

31-Jul-18
Magnus hasn't been making snuffers for at least 5 years. Maybe more. Thunder valley bought the rights and tooling for it and they no longer make them. Just a FYI.

Never shot an elk with any trad setup. But, I have killed lots of deer with the delta's and the snuffers out of them. My experience mimics Treeline's. Except I have never lost a good hit deer with a delta. And the snuffer will bend over too just like the Woodsmen. Just not as easily. I'd pick the snuffer every time all things equal.

31-Jul-18
If you can find any of the ThunderValley makings on the big auction page, you will be HIGHLY pleased with them. They were improved over any of the previous manufacturers. And, I have owned a bunch from them all. I'm not knocking anyone either. But, the ThunderValley heads come much closer to hunting sharp out of the box, have a small tanto tip so they don't bend over or flatten out, and had the same warranty as Magnus. They are worth the extra they asked for them. Course, if they aren't any to be found, buy Magnus and the originals with certainty they are great heads as well. Check Braveheart archery for them as well. Good luck and God Bless

31-Jul-18

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
2017 OTC Idaho Bull.
2017 OTC Idaho Bull.
Big ole Snuffer, sharpened them myself, holds an edge pretty well but needs touch up every 3rd day or so, great tough head that leaves one hell of a hole! Bull 28 yard shot, 57# at 28" draw, 515 grain arrow!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Aug-18
I've taken animals with the Snuffer and Zwickey (2 blade), but never used a Ribtek. I had better results with the Snuffer and similar heads by VPA. The VPAs are my favorite. I've found that 3 blades leave far better blood trails, assuming that you have enough penetration to get an exit. What I mean is that as long as you're getting an exit hole a 3 blade is better than a 2 blade. The exit hole depends on where the arrow hits and the momentum of your arrow. I'm shooting a 55# recurve, 29-1/2" draw, with 620 grain arrows. I always finish the broadheads with a diamond stone and finally polishing compound. They will shave hairs.

01-Aug-18

Here's a bull with the two blade Scirocco with bleeders, it's very similar to the Swickey in design & size, I believe they are much easier to sharpen than the swickeys with bleeders, just my opinion. It was a 14 yard shot & came in screaming to high hell, it was awesome, bull went 50 yards & piled up. Recurve 28" 60# cedar shafts 125 grain head.

ElkNut/Paul

01-Aug-18
I think your title was a subliminal message...

Good luck! Hope you have an awesome hunt!

02-Aug-18
I’ve shot a few animals with a 2 blade, and unless it’s a 2” two blade I don’t like it. I much rather prefer a 3 blade hole if given the option. Snuffers would get my vote

• Sitka Gear