W8N4RUT 14-Aug-18
Zbone 14-Aug-18
Chris S 14-Aug-18
PECO 17-Aug-18
walks with a gimp 18-Aug-18
ki-ke 18-Aug-18
Matt 18-Aug-18
01-Aug-18
I only watch a couple of shows and then not often, so I just noticed this recently. Blurring out products that aren't sponsors. One show, heavily sponsored by Vortex, has the hunter (who is sponsored by Vortex) using Swarovski bino's on a sheep hunt. Funny listening to the host pumping Vortex and close ups of his face and the logo then using something he must feel is superior. If they hadn't kept so obviously blurring out the bino's, I might not have noticed. Saw another one where the guide is wearing a Badlands bino pouch on a show they don't sponsor. Big blur on his chest all the time.

01-Aug-18
I’ve noticed that too and I like to try and figure it out.

Lately there’s been a lot of elk hunts and I notice many of the whitie hunters hunting elk carrying their Quiver as they stalk. Silly rabbits!

01-Aug-18
“Great shots” made with hours left in the day that are recovered well after dark or the next day.

01-Aug-18
I used to guide full time, mainly fishermen. The TV guys were a nightmare. There was a lot of changing out the lure that was working for the one that paid the bills and lots of hat changing for photos.

01-Aug-18
Ambush: that guy might have been using Swarovski all along and then after the show was filmed his show got sponsored by Vortex. The guy had to choose between blurring the binos or throwing the show away. For financial reasons the solution was clear. FWIW, I have no idea who it was or which show.

01-Aug-18
The funniest and dumbest thing I ever saw was when Jim Burnsworth (Western Extreme) said he was on a backcountry hunt for mule deer. I enjoyed his show right up until he made that statement as he walked through corn stubble. Corn stubble in the backcountry? He must think we're all idiots.

01-Aug-18
swarovski/vortex issue, any chance he was sponsored for vortex scopes, but not binos? Also remember the shows show last years hunts, but the sponsors might sponsor this years show

01-Aug-18
Oh, I get why they do it. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

It’s just hard to take someone’s opinion seriously when they basically lie. I’d have more respect for them without the blatant cover ups.

I got a buddy that has a Hoyt but always insists on carrying my Mathews for pics. He says his kids may may see those pics someday and I can appreciate that, so I don’t mind ; )

01-Aug-18
That’s actually better advertising for the blurred out product than the one their pumping. As it’s been said here already, us fanatical sportsmen will put more effort into finding out what the mystery product is, because to us it seems rather than using a product he could have had for a bargain or nothing, he went and paid full price for something else. THAT’S the product I “need”! Lol

01-Aug-18
When I caddied in my youth when the tour rolled through my city, a lot of golfers had various head covers of one brand but a different brand of club beneath the head cover. Whatever pays the bills, I guess.

01-Aug-18
saw a guy in pre shot footage getting ready to shoot a deer with a crossbow only problem was there was no bolt and it was not cocked but he said, "i am going to take him".

01-Aug-18
Bahahahaha Ambush!

01-Aug-18
Ambush—I’m kinda a hoyt guy right now, but that was pretty funny ;)

Elkstabber—I thought about the exact same thing, probably filmed before Vortex was a sponsor, and certainly can’t afford to throw out good footage!

—jim

01-Aug-18
Lack of penetration on deer is often amazing.

01-Aug-18
Was watching a show with some buddies and once the buck was shot the guy turns to the camera and said "Gave him the old 'meat missile". I laughed so hard. I always wonder how hard he tried to get that edited out.

I

01-Aug-18
Boy, that goes in the “not so funny” category.

01-Aug-18
I watch none anymore except Winke, Dr. Woods, and Newburg, which I get through emails. The ones that always made me cringe were the "we'll recover him tomorrow because the shot was a little back" and you could see it was waaay back, like just in front of the ham. Mostly they were reluctant to show the whole deer, just the head that the yotes didn't eat.

01-Aug-18
Was watching a broadhead review on YouTube the other day and he shot some African animal and busted out the most pathetic plug I ever heard. He literally said he couldn’t have killed it without his Injection arrows and Mathews bow.

01-Aug-18
Roger Raglin, shooting the wrong buck. / A lot of things that Tim Wells does. Funny Guy. / Dan Fitzgerald saying he could come to Alabama and film himself rattling and shooting big bucks just as easy as he could from anywhere else. / Some of the many pranks that various shows have put on.

01-Aug-18
A good taxidermist friend told me he was watching a show (a couple in S.E. Ia.) and the blond shot the same buck he mounted from a year before. I ask him WTF how did that work, he said the buck came from a game farm and he did the shed mount for a gent and could tell from the buck details of a photo he had. The buck was bought and transported drug for the TV hunt from my understanding.

01-Aug-18
When every deer seems to be feeding behind the same log. You know what's behind that log "Bait" if you have to bait to be on TV then you definitely do not need to be on TV be publicized as some great Hunter.

01-Aug-18
my favorite was the show that was sponsored by dead down wind with Tom Nelson. So much product placement it was silly. But they pay the bills so if someone would sponsor me Id place the product in front of the camera But no ones going to sponsor an old man that misses more than he hits:)

01-Aug-18
The other day I saw a hunter do a horrible grip grab a full second before launching the arrow. And he did it three times! Talk about anticipating the shot.

Can't believe they didn't edit that out -- especially the close-up of just his bow hand.

01-Aug-18

Dyjack's embedded Photo
Dyjack's embedded Photo
I like the reenactments they do with the camera man filming them from between them and the animal.

They're just like those in search of Sasquatch shows. Bullshit.

01-Aug-18
Anybody remember the show called "The One"! They always waited for "The One"whether it be fish or beast, I liked it till they did an elk hunt, the guy passed on a bull of a lifetime saying it wasn't "the one", they knew there was a bigger one there and sure enough a bigger one comes out and he pops it with a rifle, as it's falling, you can see an ear tag in it and of course when they did the hero shot the tag had been removed! Yeah I could wait for a bigger one if I knew it had been turned loose, lol!

01-Aug-18
Another puzzler. These guys that hunt all over the world and they have their rifles slung on their shoulder, one hand carry, arm cradle. BUT! when in Africa they carry it barrel forward on the shoulder just like they do it that way all the time! Looks very African savvy!

01-Aug-18
I watched a show sponsored by Realtree where the guide must have been wearing Mossy Oak or something. You guessed it, they blurred out his entire pants! I contacted the producers and asked why the guide wasn't wearing pants! LOL

01-Aug-18
Watching Bow Hunter Jim Shockey on a deer hunt in Mexico, discovering that he brought the wrong bow for the hunting arrows that he had sooooo sad !

01-Aug-18
The whispering to make it seem like they're really hunting, when in fact 90% of it is edited and staged.

01-Aug-18
Or when they are looking at animals through the spotting scope at three miles and they are whispering. Even funnier after they just shot something with a rifle and they continue to whisper, like it might wake up and take off!

01-Aug-18
Years ago remember TV that Winke dude getting ready to shoot a big buck and talking about how mature, yada, yada, etc., and the deer is standing there a close range looking at him with a big yellow tag in his ear... I turn the channel, but now wonder if he removed the tag before the hero pictures...

02-Aug-18
Then there’s the hunter who kills an animal with let’s say a bow, then he’ll switch out the weapon with a muzzleloader for a picture, and presto ... he can write for two different magazines or hunting styles.

02-Aug-18
I enjoy outdoor TV. It's entertainment only.... A local "celebrity" loves to say, "if you ain't faking it you ain't making it.". And trust me, his stuff is as fake as it can get. We don't watch Bruce Willis and think he's really doing what we see him do, do we??? Outdoor TV is no different...

02-Aug-18
The High Fence with Keith Warren us my favorite, or Long Range Pursuit I could watch those dill weeds for hours......??

02-Aug-18
The strangest thing I ever saw was that one time the guitarist from michigan shot one outside a fence. I could not believe it.

02-Aug-18
A few days ago a man with his 13-year-old daughter on one of those long-range rifle shows: "We're going to go down this canyon and try to catch up with the deer. When we top out over this rise she'll only [!] be 400 yards from it, which is too close for us." ??? TOO CLOSE??

02-Aug-18
Here's an old one...Dan Fitzgerald cooking backstraps on the platform of his treestand. Too funny.

02-Aug-18
Bou'bound Hahahahahahaha!!!!

02-Aug-18
How about when they have 4 arrows total, one on the bowstring and 3 in the quiver than after they shoot the deer and are recapping the hunt from the tree they still have 4 arrows but they are all in the quiver I see that all the time! Shawn

02-Aug-18
How about using the rangefinder right before shooting an animal at point blank range. It usually happens after we hear how flat shooting the sponsors bow is.

02-Aug-18
RMEF sold a video once with a collection of hunts. In one segment the guy made a bad bow shot on a nice 6x bull, then "recovered" a much smaller 5x in totally different terrain before proceeding to tell about the tracking job and the original shot as if nobody could tell the difference.

I contacted RMEF and they said many others had noticed the same thing and they were pulling the video.

02-Aug-18
"It usually happens after we hear how flat shooting the sponsors bow is."

Yes, and in whispered statements!

02-Aug-18
I don't get all these deer hunting shows, they are always carrying packs,,, same with elk shows,,, what for,,,, they are not going to be doing any work anyways,,,, what a bunch of crap

02-Aug-18
How about always leaving an animal until the next day? You see a deer tip over just off the food plot but they back out . Or even if they do recover it that night it still has the guts in it for pics the next day. I’m sure they’re donating the meat anyway

02-Aug-18
That's because these shows are filmed in reverse. The animal is already dead and then they "script" the rest of it, which makes the whispering even more asinine.

02-Aug-18
The WWF make up.

02-Aug-18

Elkoholic's Link
Sorry! Not a hunting show but how was this done?

03-Aug-18
That's all slight of hand! The ring was never in teh apple and he never shot an arrow. Do you really think they'd let Heidi Klum sit for that?

03-Aug-18
Hunter shoots deer and tracks him to an island in the river. But wait, the deer and the hunter are not wet. Must be a shallow river. But wait, the next scene, the hunter is up to his neck in the river floating the deer behind him.

Hunter shoots pheasant. When he picks it up, it is obvious that the bird has been stuffed in the game bag most of the day.

03-Aug-18
Bou........... He may have shot one outside of a fence....... but he didn’t have a tag for it...........

03-Aug-18

kscowboy's Link
This one will make you sick. Just what the antis need for ammunition. Some of these celebrity hunters are not our best advocates for the sport at times.

03-Aug-18
I love a Quiver full of arrows at the shot and two arrows left at recovery

03-Aug-18
“he WWF make up.”

DRIVES ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Aug-18
When they name bucks after celebrities then say how they killed *insert celebrity name* over and over. Always cracks me up.

03-Aug-18
That video link of kscowboy's is down right disgusting... So sad...

03-Aug-18
I was watching one of the Drury shows and ol boy from Rascal Flats shows up to hunt. They pull a brand new bow out of the box and set it up for him. That same evening, he shot a buck dead in the hind quarter.

03-Aug-18
No. Bob H in NH I didn’t say check this shot out. I said how’s it done. I know no one would do that. It violates all the rules of hunter saftey.

03-Aug-18
Sick. Gentry never admitted to killing an old, tame bear. I don't know how someone could attempt to pull that stunt off and look at themselves in the mirror. This is great ammo for the anti's.

03-Aug-18
Wow the loser even had the bear mounted. Could he possibly be happy with himself.

03-Aug-18
Lots of good comments here. One generalization is the lack of penetration they get on deer. A very large percent have the deer running away with half the arrow sticking out of the entrance side. And sort of related, the comment “we’re going to back out and come back in the morning” That happens, but it happens a lot in these shows.

03-Aug-18
The Gentry deal reminded me of a video I saw once long ago. Jimmy Houston was "bowhunting" and once the cameraman swung a little wide and you could see the high fence in the background. I had to run it back to be sure, but there it was ! Made me wonder just how small an enclosure the "pro" was hunting. The fence was not over 20 yards behind him.

04-Aug-18
I've heard from folks who have been in camp with huntertainers that they said they shoot really low poundage (even into the 40's) so they can hold a long time on video. Coupled with Rage, no wonder they cant shoot through a deer - apparently ever.

04-Aug-18
certainly some of what we see is "funny" but the songs, like this one, are the best part of the shows and at least do some small part to bring credibility to the entertainment genre that is hunting shows.................

Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in a drop zone

[Verse 1: Colt Ford] Drop down, exhale, one shot, one kill We do it like this all day, drop zone y'all we don't play We chase them big old hogs, big trucks with old bird dogs It's all American to hunt and tote a gun Climb up in that tree stand, got a muzzle loader in my hand Big buck walkin' into sight, game over drop zone good night We hunt them grizzly bears, kodiaks, blacks and brown Wanna see where the drop zone is Follow them tracks to the edge of town That's where you'll find me, all my folks behind me We do it like every day, God bless the USA No way we'll ever stop, we make that big game drop Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone

[Chorus: JJ Lawhorn] Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in a drop zone

[Verse 2: Colt Ford] Now if it flies it dies, that's geese, ducks, and dove Pheasants and quail yeah, huntin' is what we love We chase them thunder chickens, we make 'em strut and spit When they enter that drop zone baby, game over that's it Big bass, big bucks, big guns, get some This is America and we don't ever run Been known to tree a coon or maybe grab a gator Support the NRA, what more do I need to say One shot, one kill, drop zone, it's real Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone

[Chorus: JJ Lawhorn] Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in a drop zone

04-Aug-18
Have never watched any of the shows but having set up camps for a few different Quebec caribou outfitters over 12 years from 1998-2010, I came across only one such filming outfit. They were from the mid-west as I recall. There were excellent numbers of animals around the camp and they never left the vicinity of the camp. Numerous animals were gut shot, passed right through the camp, and never followed up by any of the film crew. Returned from NL last fall from a moose hunt and a very good friend/guide mentioned over breakfast about having to deal in camp last fall with a film crew. He felt they were pathetic.

04-Aug-18
I always thought the term "We decided to back out" was code for supper is ready back at the lodge and I'm afraid of the dark. After eating a big meal in a warm lodge they will say "After reviewing the footage we feel it's best to wait until morning"

04-Aug-18
One of my favourites:

“We have been hunting SO hard and putting our time in! And now on the last day, on the last hour, we got it done!!

This after a two day quided hunt on a managed property with fifty stands for the quide to choose from and cam pics of every buck that walked by in the daylight for years.

04-Aug-18
Very few hunting shows are of quality anymore. The egos have entered into them and now it seems the host competes for airtime. For some reason they think the viewers want to see them gassing up thier truck, washing thier clothes and playing jokes on one another. They have 20 mins to fill for a show and if they are unable to fill it with hunting then it should never be aired IMO. Yes the over done makeup is absurd and the designs, really lol. And it seems these shows no compete to who can make the worst shot, I swear if I hear these idiots say I hit him farther back than I want I'm going to bust. Sadly these shows have become junk, with a few exceptions, but I guess that's what happens when you have these outdoor channels who have to fill time, they'll take whatever crap they can get. The best is the hunting show awards lol what a joke tht is, don't know if they still have it but talk about stroking egos.

04-Aug-18

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Ah yes. The annual golden moose awards live from the hunting capital of the world......las Vegas

04-Aug-18

And no awards show is complete without the bone collector himself picking up some well deserved hardware

04-Aug-18
Mike Clerkin shot a 7 point in Missouri and kept calling it an 8 point.

04-Aug-18
It is all a big circus to keep the masses entertained and dreaming. A big global circus.

05-Aug-18
...Gone are the days of the original - The American Sportsman. Curt Gowdy, one of a kind. A little (a lot) more genuine than many of the clowns of today.

05-Aug-18
I use to really like the American Sportsman show,,, that was a good one

05-Aug-18
Just watched a product pimp on American Archer call a 100" 8 point 3 year old a "management buck". Puked in my mouth a little and turned on ladies golf.

05-Aug-18
Sad times when ladies golf wins over hunting shows. I'm all about women's tennis though.

05-Aug-18
I recently seen a clip of the Drury brothers talking about the importance of maintaining your food plots during a drought. It showed them watering one of their plots with a fire truck that they had purchased. Like this is feasible for the other 99.9% of us that put plots in. I am pretty sure at this point you can stop calling them "poor mans plot"

05-Aug-18
Zinger. I saw the same show and thought exactly as you did. I’m sure that deer could have grown up to be a fine specimen. Don’t know why they called it a management buck.

05-Aug-18
One of the few shows I watch that I really enjoy is Randy Newberg. I don't have satellite or cable anymore so I watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Youtube.

05-Aug-18
Buck hammer I watched one where some guy scouted from a helicopter. Yeah no problem buddy lol

05-Aug-18
While on the subject of hunting shows I have a question that I'm pretty sure of the answer to but would like other fellow like minded hunters thoughts as to what they think is the reason as to why. I'm taking about what seams to me the absolute rarity of arrows passing completely through the animals, the vast majority being deer, and quite often based on the amount of arrow shaft still visibly sticking out of the animal, what appears to me as rather poor penetration? Am I mistaken or not? If true this strikes me as quite odd as when the part of the show is a the equipment segment most of these pro hunters are shooting bows who's draw weight is closer to 70lbs than 60 and most are shooting over if not well over 300fps. I admit I don't watch hardly any hunting shows anymore and haven't for years so my numbers could be a bit off and are basing my observations on shows I now see by accident while at my friends homes who still watch these programs. I asked my friend to FF through 3 DVD's to the footage of when the deer are shot and none had arrows go completely through the deer, but not all shots on deer were clear enough to be certain if the arrow passed through or not. All shots looked to be classic broad side shots or angles that should've allowed the arrow to pass through. My personal experiences differ considerably. Of the 30+ deer I have taken with a bow based on finding the arrow stuck in the dirt 21 the arrow passed completely through, I found 3or 4 more on the ground indicating either the deer pulled them out or as the deer ran the (I'm guessing) broad head snagged on the brush and was pulled out, still indicating the broad head passed through the deer. The remaining 3 or 4 deer I shot where the arrow remained in them were due to a steep quartering away shot angle where the arrow entered either near or behind the 2nd to last rib or behind the last rib and lodged in the deer's chest cavity. One buck I shot was literally directly below my stand when I shot him and the arrow still passed through both lungs and exited out the bottom of his chest and based on how I found it still stuck in the ground and was later confirmed to me by the exit wound, hitting the ground was all that stopped it from going all the way through the deer. Are my observations correct or not based on my having seen a rather small amount of shots on deer.

05-Aug-18
Just saw one on a commercial forsportsman. "Why would you lift weights and work out when just preparing for whitetail season is enough" ahaha

05-Aug-18
To me, TV hunting shows and porno movies have A LOT in common:

1. They both use paid whores.

2. They both exploit what should be a special, personal experience and degrade it for commercial use.

3.They both give a false view of the subject they are showing.

4. When you've seen one, you've seen them all.

5. They could ALL be titled, "Stuff That Never Happens To Me".

6. They BOTH depict an activity I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather DO than WATCH!!!

06-Aug-18
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS You sir have my poetic envy, as I couldn't have said it better myself.

09-Aug-18
Watching Lee & Tiffanie “train” for their western elk hunt, only for them to spend their time being driven to the base of their tree stands to catch elk coming into an alfalfa field seemed to be a bit of a misrepresentation. The good news is, it was the last time I ever wasted any of my time watching them...

09-Aug-18
Woods Walker said it all.

09-Aug-18
Woods Walker for the win...........

09-Aug-18
Many of the "celebrity" hunters do not use the product that they endorse.

09-Aug-18
That Gentry video is disgusting. Had to turn it off once the arrow hit the tame bear.

10-Aug-18
I like to play the "what is a commercial and what is the actual show" game. I can be real tough to distinguish between the two.

12-Aug-18
Funniest thing on hunting shows... IS the so called "hunting" shows.

13-Aug-18
Anyone see those chucks on just killing time? the entire show is these two idiots talking and then they show a clip here and there of them killing a deer. What egos they have to put on a hunting show and then fill up the show with thier ugly pusses.

13-Aug-18
Anyone remember a hunting show with a clown named Wayne Pocious or something like that and some hit tune called "Bowhunter"

14-Aug-18
love to have my own show. Never work again. Be paid to sponsor a product. Travel and hunt places I could never afford. Put on face paint like Gene Simmons I dont see the issue here:)

14-Aug-18
Heard a new one (to me) the other day while channel surfing,,, He's a "Hammer"....

Hammer, hammer what?

14-Aug-18
You ain’t lived until you’ve smoked a hammer. I seen one once but could not put the smack down on him

14-Aug-18

W8N4RUT's Link
Interesting listen somewhat related to this topic. Steve Rinella talks to Mitch Petrie from Outdoor channel...

Scott

14-Aug-18
Ah, now I get it Bou'bound...8^)

14-Aug-18

Chris S's embedded Photo
Chris S's embedded Photo
Bou hit it on the head I smoked this hammer today. 21oz framer next week I’m going to try a ballpean.

17-Aug-18
Watched a show today, I get the DVD's from Sportsman's Warehouse. They did an elk hunt. Talking about hiking 45 miles in the last 3 days chasing elk. Hmm, houses and roads and fences all over the place. Then he shoots an elk, very poor arrow penetration, elk runs away with most of arrow sticking out, but it was in the vitals at least. The guy even said he was disappointed in the penetration. They find elk with most of arrow sticking out and arrow looks clean. Does not look like it hit offside bone and bounced back out. Then they show the arrow back in the guys quiver, completely covered in blood, for broadhead to knock. Those CD's are cheap and I really used to enjoy them but they seem to be horrible these days.

18-Aug-18
I watched a famous Mathews shooter on a turkey hunt in Nebraska say that they were on the way back from a hunt in which he had shot 2 gobblers. They then run into another flock where he stalks in to shoot #3. He then says that he didn't know that you could get 3 birds in Nebraska so he had to go get another permit.. Right there he admitted to hunting without a permit.

18-Aug-18
WAAAAIIITTTT a darn second.....WTH is on Michael Waddells head as he is accepting his "golden moose"?! Is that a road killed possum or the Hair Club for Men client whose pic didn't make the before and afters.....?

18-Aug-18
He's not just a client....

• Sitka Gear