MQQSE 03-Aug-18
jordanathome 03-Aug-18
MQQSE 03-Aug-18
LUNG$HOT 04-Aug-18
midwest 04-Aug-18
jordanathome 04-Aug-18
Jaquomo 04-Aug-18
03-Aug-18
Jordan’s “new gear thread” got me thinking. I still need to get bear spray and a good holster. What brand of spray is best or does it matter, And which holster do you use? Do you keep it on your pack belt, pack strap, on your chest, leg etc... and why?

03-Aug-18
I don't know if it matters. I have a couple of cans of counter assault and the holster that came with it. I kept it on my belt, but don't have much for bears where we hunt so I don't wear it . Mostly have it for yellowstone, grand teton hiking and such.

03-Aug-18
I have Counter Assault and Bear Pause. The open neoprene holster is fine and handy but I've had a can fall out when sitting on a log ( on the waist belt of my pack) so now I prefer a cordura one with a safety strap on top. I practice flipping the strap and the can safety.

I carry it all the time from spring-fall, more for crazy moose than an occasional aggressive bear, because I spend a lot of time in the woods alone. Like the saying about handguns, "Better have it and never need it than need it and not have it".

03-Aug-18
I had the Udap, I believe. The holster worked fine. Easy to carry and you can deploy while in the holster if you had to.

03-Aug-18
I got a Udap one as well. I run it on my belt. Hopefully don't have to use it, but eases my mind. The holster is plastic though and it's easy to knock the can out when I take my pack off if I'm not paying attention.

03-Aug-18
so an aggressive bear is charging and coming in with a strong wind and the wind is in your face. Now what?

To spray or not to spray?

03-Aug-18
run Forest, run ...

03-Aug-18
Season myself for it and hope it doesn't like pepper. Lol

03-Aug-18
I had an extra can laying around the other day and decided to deploy it as a test. I walked up, about 30 feet or so away from a large boulder. There was probably a 10-15 mph crosswind. I was shocked to watch the cloud of orange spray completely blow off course and not even reach my intended target...

03-Aug-18
Paul, I think that would be pray, spray, and pray !

03-Aug-18
I’ve been charged twice by brown/Grizz. The first time in Alaska I had a sow charge into 6 feet and end up stopping on my backpack. Long story short, I ended up missing her with a firearm during the charge and then didn’t want to wound her at close range. We stood facing each other at conversational distance when she suddenly turned around and took off. Later that night when I relayed the story to my friend he asked if I used my spray. It was then that I remembered that I indeed had spray on my hip.

Whatever your choice of defense is, I recommend you go through the process of how you will use it over and over in your mind. Also, bears cover ground very quickly. I always have my defense easily accessible and always anticipate a bear over the next rise.

03-Aug-18
Spray your buddy then run. LOL

I some times carry 10mm lead bear spray but mostly carry whatever I can find cheapest.....which seems to be around $50 freakin bucks. Then I never use it and it expires. But I feel better having it. I have had UDAP and Alaska Guard that I can recall. I think they all work well.

I clip the holster to my bino harness or my pack belt. I think the velcro holsters work fine...had the metal clasp or button or whatever you call it and it was awkward for me.

03-Aug-18

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
We normally unload ours before we leave Alaska to see if it would really work or was defective. Here is a friend of mine unloading his about ten years ago.

Imagine the bear standing in front of him. It sure is a last resort process.

04-Aug-18
Thanks for the responses guys. I’m headed to Wyo on Sept 1 and have definitely been thinking about the Grizz factor. Never have carried it for my Colorado and Utah hunts but Lou has a good point carrying for those dam troubled moose out there which he is so familiar with. Lol. Jordan that’s a good thought except I’ll be hunting solo this year so unfortunately no partner to spray and leave behind to meet their maker. Paul, that’s a great question... for me personally I’m still going to spray even if I get myself along with the bear. I’d rather take some capsaicin to the face than be eaten by a Grizz. Lol. MQQSE, that sure is a great pic and gives some real world perspective on the true range of the sprays out there. Seems they need to be fairly close to get the full effect of the spray. Too close for comfort I’d say.

04-Aug-18
...then imagine a bit of a head wind!

04-Aug-18
Buffalo flavored..........

04-Aug-18
If you ever need to use it on a bear, spray it at ground level so the fog sort of rolls toward the bear and creates a "wall". That's what my grizzly researcher friend told me, who has used it dozens of times.

• Sitka Gear