Treeline 05-Aug-18
Halibutman 06-Aug-18
jordanathome 06-Aug-18
ELKMAN 06-Aug-18
Teeton 06-Aug-18
txhunter58 06-Aug-18
txhunter58 06-Aug-18
04-Aug-18
What do you do to keep evidence of sex attached to a quarter on your elk in CO?

I saw a video of a guy who skins out the scrotum and leaves the mountain oysters dangling and attached by only the epididymis tube so that there is no skin/hair left to taint the meat. I'd be afraid I'd cut the cord or it would break leaving me to 'splain myself to the agent.

04-Aug-18
Skin around em and leave em swangn from one quarter

04-Aug-18
Last 2 I’ve left a piece of the penis. 4” or so

04-Aug-18
It’s easy to split and skin the scrotum. Been doing it for years. One for each ham and can debone with it in the meat as well. Just not a fan of hairy elk nuts on the best cuts of meat and skinning them out is much cleaner and more sanitary!

04-Aug-18
Just leave the sack on one of the hams....you can leave the tube or I just leave a small patch of hair with the sack. Playing with animal balls ain`t my thing....lol

04-Aug-18
It's very simple to leave the scrotum on and just put a ziplock bag over it so it doesn't touch the meat.

05-Aug-18
I bone the hind quarter off and leave a strip of hide/ball sack/udder attached to the hind quarter.

I simply use an MT bag that one of the game bags came in to put the sack or udder in and use one of many zip ties I carry to tighten the bag closed.

Good luck, Robb

05-Aug-18
Part of the penis is the easiest on male critters. Very easy to leave on. For cows I skin the vaginal opening and leave that small piece of hide attached to a quarter.

05-Aug-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I just go around the teats or nut sack and leave attached to the quarter. It gives me enough room to get the the hip socket and pop off each quarter

05-Aug-18
That is one clean cow......usually that end ain't too pretty. LOL

05-Aug-18
Thanks CNELK. I have a cow tag in Wy and was wondering about this.

05-Aug-18
Way, way, way easier to leave a little piece of the penis attached than the balls. Don't need much! Just "enough"

05-Aug-18
If you're gonna skin em, ya may as well eat em ;)

05-Aug-18
I've done it several ways, but have found since that it's easiest to just leave 2 inches of penis shaft from the mid-penis attached to one of the quarters. I don't want sac hair next to my meat.

05-Aug-18
hunt'n addict Wyoming does not require it be attached anymore. Cut the udder or vulva and put it in a baggie in the cooler with the meat.

05-Aug-18
I never understood why some areas that is either sex why you need proof of sex. If anyone shoots s bull they are keeping the antlers.

05-Aug-18
Agreed, DL. Evidence of sex is a silly rule.

Trophyhill, yup. 1st thing taken care of at home. True mountain oysters!

06-Aug-18
Way, way, way easier to leave a little piece of the penis attached than the balls. Don't need much! Just "enough"

06-Aug-18
That's what she said......da dum dum (crash of cymbal)

06-Aug-18
So that's what a cow looks like... ;-)

06-Aug-18
I think it's dumb law also. It's a "let make money law" Kinda like the old Montana law, if you take a pic of your elk before you tag it,, we give to a ticket.

06-Aug-18
"I never understood why some areas that is either sex why you need proof of sex. If anyone shoots s bull they are keeping the antlers."

I wondered that too until someone explained it to me. Because you might kill an illegal spike and try and pass it off as a cow.

06-Aug-18
I don't want to worry about cutting it off by mistake if I skin it, so I just carry a ziplock and a rubber band to put over it.

• Sitka Gear