elk yinzer 06-Aug-18
DMC65 06-Aug-18
Brotsky 06-Aug-18
Ned 06-Aug-18
splitlimb13 06-Aug-18
DMC65 06-Aug-18
splitlimb13 06-Aug-18
05-Aug-18
So I've been hunting in the west since I could walk. Grew up on a ranch in the mountains east of Albuquerque. I've hunted almost every species in New Mexico with great success over the years. Whitetail deer have never exactly been very high up on my bucket list . I believe a big part of why is being"desensitized" by all the played out shows . Treestands over food plots, shooting houses ect. I have been wanting to hunt whitetail this past year though. I have no idea about where to go. I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone knows a farm ,a ranch, a state!?! I'm not looking to spend a million dollars , just wanna experience a decent hunt . Thanks

05-Aug-18
Those three states offer public land? Or do I need to find a farm?

05-Aug-18
Look up Brain John's on here. ZMAXHUNTER.

05-Aug-18
Split,

Pm sent.

05-Aug-18
Split, Kansas you need to draw but it does have some good public land!! Nebraska is over the counter and it can be good n public if you do your homework. Oklahoma I have not hunted. South and North Dakota can be very good as well and have lots of public land as well! Shawn

05-Aug-18
Oklahoma has public and some great deer.

05-Aug-18

MQ1's embedded Photo
MQ1's embedded Photo
Okie buck

05-Aug-18
I didn't expect to get so much help I really appreciate it I'm going to sure look into it that's a good-looking Oklahoma Buck there buddy

05-Aug-18
I go out to Nebraska public land late October and sit in a tree stand. A welcoming relaxing time after hunting elk for a month. The bucks aren’t real big but they fill the freezer and it’s a ton of fun

05-Aug-18
You have some great coues whitetail hunting pretty close to you. That may be a hunt you get hooked on if you try it. Spot and stalk in rough country at elevation. Pretty much opposite of what most people think of when talking about whitetail hunting. plains whitetail , or Midwest deer, are easy to find. Even in traditional mule deer country if there's a river with bottomlands and agriculture you should find whitetails. A bonus of looking at areas where mule deer and whitetails both live it's often pretty easy to get permission from ranchers to hunt whitetails. They don't seem to like em much. Are you looking to go with an outfitter or on your own?

06-Aug-18
On my own. I've coues hunted before. I'm looking for the Eastern whitetail! Hear they are pretty darn tasty compared to our sage eating muleys! Haha although I tell you after over twenty muleys under my belt I've got it figured out! Fajitas!!!

06-Aug-18
If you want a challenge come to MA, if you want to see deer go to NY, PA, or NJ.

06-Aug-18
If antler size is priority, look to the Midwest and honestly private land access makes that task much easier.

If the experience itself is priority, it opens up a lot of other country depending what you want to get into. Whitetails live basically everywhere so I think a good starting point is to choose based on terrain. Endless northwoods. Expansive marshes and swamps. Wide open plains. Patchwork farmland. Appalachian mountains. Easy access or more adventurous? Urban, suburban, rural, or wild? Feeding patterns or rut? Treestands are pretty standard for whitetail but there are some spot and stalk. Closer to home matter? The choices become vast.

06-Aug-18
If you want freezer meat Michigan is a good bet. Lots of public land in the northern part of the state with lots of camping options. Our deer population is very high and archery season is long. Not too much pressure on national Forest lands during bow season either. The northwest portion of the lower peninsula has a point restrictions rule so the age class of bucks is much better than before. You have many options for a whitetail hunt and I'm sure when you pick an area you'll get plenty of help from the folks here . Keep us posted on your plan!

06-Aug-18
Come on up to South Dakota, I'll point you at a bunch of whitetails on public ground. Lots of options and as of now the tag is unlimited.

06-Aug-18
You might want to consider Eastern Colorado for proximity. Don’t overlook Missouri, it’s a great sleeper state and tags aren’t outrageous. You also may want to consider a diy lease option for a week somewhere instead of public land. Subleases are the way to go sometimes, you’re basically subleasing the private property for a week, do your own hunting. Base camp.com sub leases in several states.

06-Aug-18
Thank u all for your help and messages! Antler size isn't an issue! I'd be happy with just about any buck to get my feet wet! Sublease huh? That's Chinese to me! So basically I'd be Leasing private land for a week?

06-Aug-18
You don't have to pay money to hunt deer bro! There is great public land hunting all over . Pick a state then get a gazetter map book of that state and find the national Forest and state wildlife mgmt areas . Just a hint here ; waterfowl management areas are often overlooked hot spots for great whitetail hunts. Arkansas has a bunch of those. Missouri has a lot of deer and a lot of public land and is a days drive from you. a previous post mentioned Oklahoma . I have driven through that state on different routes and it looks like awesome deer turf. Saw quite a bit of road kill too . Good sign of good numbers. So many options!! Have fun with it . Hope you can handle sitting in a treestand for a few hours at a time cause that's how it's done...mostly. I say that cause my people from Arizona say they could never hunt that way. Makes me laugh cause it gets up close and personal. I love runnin an arrow through a deer that I could spit on!

06-Aug-18
Thanks man ! Brotsky I'll send you my number!

• Sitka Gear