LFN 06-Aug-18
PapaSmurf 06-Aug-18
PapaSmurf 06-Aug-18
carcus 06-Aug-18
Brotsky 06-Aug-18
Hunting5555 08-Aug-18
Bowfreak 08-Aug-18
05-Aug-18
With a ready to hunt arrow weight of 397.635 grains my Halon is pushing it 305 fps. Ive got people telling me I need heavier arrows for whitetail and others saying I am good to go? Whats the opinion around here?

05-Aug-18
Whitetail and turkeys are my only interest with a bow

05-Aug-18
You are pushing just over 82 ft lbs of Kenetic energy. How far do you want to bury your arrow in the dirt? As long as your broadheads are hair popping sharp you have a great setup. Hunt with confidence.

05-Aug-18
I only use 350 to 370 grains and all I hunt is whitetail and no problems with pass throughs. Keep it as is! I’m only shooting in the 280’s with my short draw length and no problems.

05-Aug-18
Come on guys....somebody is "stroking" us...lol. 82lbs of KE is borderline....for CAPE BUFFALO. KS is actually wondering if this set up is enough for whitetail and turkey....lmao.

05-Aug-18
I think the advantages of heavy outweighs light, assuming you can still get good speed. Quieter bow, more momentum, better penetration on bone. Only advantage to a light arrow and fast bow is flatter shooting, but from a white tail tree stand is that helpful?

05-Aug-18
I had guys on another forum saying that I wouldnt get good penetration without an 500 grain arrow.

05-Aug-18
On deer? They are nuts.

05-Aug-18
I am at 440 grains but lot slower, I am in the 270fps range and I have shot that for at least 20 years and have kill 100 plus whitetails in that time and it has never been an issue. I shoot a COC head(VPA's for the last 10 years and Steelforce before that) that is scary sharp. Trust me you have more than enough weight and speed to kill anything in NA, even moose!! Shawn

05-Aug-18
Another forum? But why? Everything needed is here since 1996! Welcome!

05-Aug-18
“Come on guys....somebody is "stroking" us...lol. 82lbs of KE is borderline....for CAPE BUFFALO. KS is actually wondering if this set up is enough for whitetail and turkey....lmao.”

Perfect example of why KE is meaningless for large and dangerous game! He’s also shooting a 400 grain arrow and that likely wouldn’t penetrate into the body cavity on a Cape buffalo, even with the right broadhead.

05-Aug-18
I ve only been in the deer game 2 years. Ive only taken 3 deer. My previous bow was a Switchback XT. Shooting rage broadheads I never got pass through. The only doe I shot killed drt from 12 yds with no passthrough. My first deer was a 163" deer my second time ever in the stand. Only 1 of 3 blades opened, i had buck fever, and we got on the track too soon so it took me 2 days to recover. I actual bought a new bow properly set up and I have switched to fixed blade Magnus heads this year. Its amazing what properly draw length and a proper set up does to confidence an accuracy. I want good clean kills with pass through so I have good bloodtrails. Hence when those guys said I needed heavier arrows for better penetration I got nervous.

05-Aug-18
Your problem is not arrow weight and speed, it’s expandable broadheads. A good sharp cut on contact BH is super efficient and deadly at much lower KE

05-Aug-18
Baloney Tilzbow....We have been using KE formulas to kill dangerous game since the 60`s. The "fans" pal....not the "players". There is a diminished point of return in either KE or momentum....you pushing a certain amount of mass at a certain amount of speed. KS`s set up will kill every animal in N. America....Period.

Ask a African PH what equipment you will need to hunt dangerous game in his camp and 99% will answer that question using the phrase...."a minimum of ???? KE".

05-Aug-18
With that much horsepower I'd shoot a heavier arrow. Something in the mid 400 grain range. You'd still be shooting plenty fast that trajectory isn't going to be an issue.

06-Aug-18
I have a set up very similar to yours 385 gr arrows including 100 grain magnus buzzcuts at around 300 FPS, several years ago I managed to turn a bull elk around that was leaving but he was coming back at an angle not right to me, I figured out where he was going to enter a clearing and ranged a tree there at 50 yards, he stopped right there as expected behind that tree, using my sight set at 50 I held a little high since he was behind the tree. he ran about 100 yrds and piled up. I couldn't find my arrow at first but found it the next day, 15 yards behind where he was standing. not only was it a complete pass thru but it passed thru the off side scapula. turned out he was actually at 60 yards so the flatter trajectory of the faster arrow probably saved the day. your current set up is fine for what your hunting. by the way I went to this set up as a "big swing" change due to some less than spectacular performance from my 550 gr arrows including 125 grain Muzzy broadheads, burried one arrow to the fletchings right in the crease, got the bull but at 17 yards I expected better, the experts also tell you the heavy arrow is better if you hit bone, well I lost a bull that I hit broadside at 30 yards with that 550 grain arrow, hit something in the shoulder, the arrow fell out minus the trocor tip and all the blades, the ferrel was mangled, impossible to say if my current arrow would have performed better but it couldn't have been any worse. I switched to light and fast and have no regrets.

06-Aug-18
I’ve gotten your desired results many times with a 400-450 gr arrow shooting around 180 FPS out of my recurve, on deer. FIXED blade broadheads of course, and out to 35yds once.

Now, I’ve missed a few too, but that’s on me, not my bow or setup. Lol

06-Aug-18
Forgot to add, I wasn’t bragging trust me. I was just saying you should be MORE than good nuff, and I wouldn’t waste another second sweating it. Now, smile!

06-Aug-18
Perfect arrow for deer, I was shooting a 340gr arrow for deer and bear a while back, never had an issue

06-Aug-18
My kids shoot clean through deer with a 40# bow and a 325 gr arrow. I think you're good!

08-Aug-18
You're setup is fine, especially with a COC broadhead. After all these various threads like this over the years, in regards to "deer", I think guys worry to much about arrow weight and speed. Instead, I don't think a lot of guys appreciate the amount of energy it takes to open up a mechanical head or punch thru the hide with a tip like Muzzys have. Lets face it, guys have been getting complete pass thrus for decades out of 40# longbows shooting 600 grain arrows. BUT, what is always on the front of the arrow..... A COC fixed blade broadhead. I know there are guys who will disagree with that comment, but its just my two cents and observations over the years.

08-Aug-18
That setup will be fine. You will have no issues. To optimize penetration (If it was my setup) I would shoot as much arrow weight as possible to give me at least 270 fps.

• Sitka Gear