Rocky D 06-Aug-18
APauls 07-Aug-18
Pigsticker 07-Aug-18
GLP 07-Aug-18
Slate 07-Aug-18
Rocky D 07-Aug-18
Woods Walker 07-Aug-18
05-Aug-18
I was hunting last year and go out one week and saw multiple bucks and plenty of deer. Went out to the same area with same wheather and saw nothing... the only difference was the moon and it was full the second week. The only thing I could think of is the light from the moon let the deer move all night and stopped daytime activity. What do y'all think

05-Aug-18
Maybe the moon but maybe coyotes ran em off an hour before you got there or they are on a three day rotation around different ground. Could be a bunch of things. Good luck this season!

05-Aug-18
Ditto Charlie but you can also make the moon work for you full or not. Pay attention to daily moon positions and hunt accordingly

05-Aug-18
I've always tried to plan around the moon for the reasons you stated. TMBB

05-Aug-18
Found that high-moon is best to hunt from 10am-2pm, the normal evening movement is usually zip.

05-Aug-18
I believe that deer eyesite in the dark is so good it don't mean crap.

05-Aug-18
Just hunt!!!! Season isn't that long.

05-Aug-18
Exactly as the last two posts mentioned! They don't need the full moon to see better than we can even in the middle of the day. Late morning to early afternoon IMHO is best during the full moon phase as they seem to get up later to feed after hunting hours are over on a full moon.

05-Aug-18
Full moons are great for the deer, can be bad for hunters, so to speak... the deer move more at night and can see great under a full moon if it isnt clouded over ..... mid morning to mid day is better for hunters following the full moon ...

05-Aug-18
I have always believed and it has bore out to be true, That when the moon is directly overhead(Full) or directly underfoot(Dark) the best movement during hunting hours will be mid-day!! In 40 plus years of hunting whitetails and actually paying attention to the moon, barometric pressure and other things the last 20 years it seem to be true! Shawn

05-Aug-18
Shawn, with all due respect, that makes no sense. The moon is directly overhead or underfoot on each rotation. Think about it. The "moon charts" always purported that when the moon was directly overhead or underfoot, those were the times to be hunting, no matter what time of day. Was supposed to be even better if it corresponds with daybreak or dusk. I shot that down in one season by getting a moon chart and observing religiously on a place with high deer numbers and great visibility. I could tell no difference at all.

05-Aug-18
Deer have no problems seeing better on dark nights vs bright nights. Studies have proven they don’t move more on full moon nights vs other nights.

Hunter just needs to be in woods more during mid-day to hunt during full moon phase. Agree with Top Gun 30:06

05-Aug-18
Shawn you are correct. You guys keep sighting mid day hunts as the time to be in the woods. Next time check to see where the moon is in the sky during the mid day hunt and you are seeing deer!

05-Aug-18
All of the above and I would add this........

Deer are ruminants. And like most all ruminants they feed about 4 times a day, baring severe weather. What this means is that while they may not be in the open fields at dawn/dusk, they none the less still feed and it will be in heavy cover. Learn your area and learn where the feed is in the woods. The moon does NOT shut them down, it just makes them feed where they are less visible.

Yes, it's more difficult and requires more time in the woods figuring it out, but isn't that the whole point?

05-Aug-18
I absolutely dodge the full moon whenever possible. If I’m home sure I will hunt but any trip I plan if possible will not be during the fool moon.

05-Aug-18
The couch is far worse for deer hunting than the moon is.

05-Aug-18
My thought is just be in your stand as much as possible. I never paid attention. The wind is the only rule I go buy and just hunt. Mid day has never been good for me but I’m always in the stand. So many guys swear by mid day. I am jinxed

05-Aug-18
I have probably killed as many bucks at 10/11 o'clock as I have at first light, maybe more. Dusk continues to be best though, at least for me. That's especially true during the rut.

05-Aug-18
The vast majority of the big bucks I've killed have been between 10 and 2. When the rut is on just be in the woods as much/long as you can, regardless of wind/moon. As Pete-pec said, you can't kill them from the couch! The deer are still there, even though they aren't as visible as they are at other times.

05-Aug-18
I usually just do morning and evening sits for deer. If the moon is full I may cut those shorter and add a third sit from 11-1 or so although here in Texas that can make for some hot hunts in October.

05-Aug-18
The moon has been proven over and over to have no impact on deer. The hunters who rely on all the old wives tales are just creating self fulfilling prophecies. If you believe that the second Tuesday in October is the best day to hunt so you sit all day because of it and not any others, you will probably kill more deer on the second Tuesday of October.

05-Aug-18
As a contractor I cannot tell you how many big bucks are seen running around projects at noon. These "projects" are usually farmlands and forests that were sold to build subdivisions and these deer`s old stomping grounds. IMO weather is FAR more important than the moon phase. During the rut anything can happen at any time....the more hours in the woods the greater chance at success.

05-Aug-18
It's better to hunt by weather than by the moon. Fronts coming or leaving equate to deer movement. Cold is good. The colder the better for Midwest and northern deer. barometric pressure has an impact on deer movement ,feeding or staying put, and how your human scent is dispersed. I like a rising barometer . I hunt any day I can though. Conditions determine where I hunt not if I hunt.

06-Aug-18
In the cornbelt states the progress of the corn harvest is probably a bigger factor than anything else (except the rut) as far as seeing deer goes. This is also where having a good year for abundant mast can be a big factor.

06-Aug-18
Moon has more impact on hunter apathy than deer.The TRADITION of climbing down your tree at 10 or 11 am is counterproductive in most cases and down right ludicrous in the rut.

I actually struggle with sightings in a new moon compared to a full one so go figure.

06-Aug-18
“The moon has been proven over and over to have no impact on deer” really, where”

“I actually struggle with sightings in a new moon compared to a full one so go fig” why am I not surprised?

06-Aug-18
Beneficial for deer, but pretty rough on werewolves. BTW, just an observation: I have walked right up to deer in the dead of winter with a full moon overhead reflecting off snow. They don't get spooked, not sure why. Seriously, hunt mid day when the moon phases are full or near full. You'll see deer.

06-Aug-18
Rocky, a recent study written up in one of this years QDMA magazines shows the variation of whitetail movement during full moon vs. other times is beyond negligible.

06-Aug-18
I don't get the whole moon thing, to be honest. The rut is so short, why would I even worry about it? Honestly, during the rut, I don't even care about the weather, I'm going to be in a tree every single time I can get away from family and work obligations. I figure the main part of our rut is 30 days. The whole month of November. The moon falls where it falls, I'm gonna hunt

And there's no way for a single hunter to say the moon does or doesn't effect. Or even a study done over one year.

I don't record moon phases in my log, because I don't care, but I imagine that if I did record it, I could prove or disprove the moon based on my log entries and what I wanted to say.

The only moon phase I've ever recorded in my log was the 2016 "Super Moon" that happened on November 14, 2016. I only mentioned it in my log, because it just so happened that I killed a 5 1/2 year old buck the next day at 8:57 a.m.

06-Aug-18
Corn bore, I hunt huge forested areas and never set ona food plot so I really don’t go for WDMA for anything. Sure ism going to set whenever I can but sometimes I have to choose the time of day, day week. This year I am going three days after the full moon. For three weeks. If full moon was the week before I would back up one week.

I know cold weather, Northwest wind, high pressure system, and rising barometer are more of an impact than the moon. I despise the full moon period. Yes, I hunt it and yes I have killed on it but typically deer movement is minimal in daylight. Yes a hot doe and cold weather can change that.

07-Aug-18
Too many factors that are higher on the relevancy scale than the moon to plan around it. Maybe it’s a factor, but not worth changing plans over

07-Aug-18
Apauls, you are probably correct but I just hate to burn vacation on a full moon. This year was easy since pushing a week later aligns with rut better and I may get colder weather or at least a NW Wind.

07-Aug-18
My son shot nice bucks the last two years on a full moon. One at 8 and the other at 8:30. Moon means nothing, weather and wind direction is what I watch. Just hunt.

07-Aug-18
Great point Skookumjt

07-Aug-18
“Moon means nothing, weather and wind direction is what I watch. Just hunt.“

What arrogance...

07-Aug-18
I read this quote MANY years ago, and it's a true today as it was then...........

"The best time to go deer hunting is WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!"

• Sitka Gear