dirtclod Az. 06-Aug-18
Rob in VT 06-Aug-18
TXCazador 07-Aug-18
Fuzzy 07-Aug-18
LUNG$HOT 21-Sep-18
Hessticles 23-Sep-18
LUNG$HOT 23-Sep-18
06-Aug-18
We don’t have a culinary forum so I put this under the elk category because that’s where I’ll be in less than a month. Kind of tired of the same old power bars for lunch/ midday snack so I decided to experiment a little today. Start with 3/4 cup organic coconut oil, 3/4 cup REAL organic maple syrup in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and mix in 1 1/4 cup natural peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 3 cups oats (just used good ole Quaker Oats), 3/4 cups unsweetened golden raisins, 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/2 cup chopped almonds. Mix together well in saucepan and place in refrigerator for approx 30 minutes to cool. Remove from fridge toss in a handful of dark chocolate chips mix again and form into bars or balls. Saran Wrap or shrink wrap and place into freezer for your upcoming trip. Fairly healthy and waaaaay better than a power bar. You could probably add your own protein powder etc... to your liking and adjust as needed.

06-Aug-18
Reads yummy!

I'll print this off and maybe try it this wknd

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

06-Aug-18
I use coconut oil daily in my recipes and find it melts somewhere around room temperature. Just a heads up for whatever your storage/ hunting temps may be.

06-Aug-18
Sounds good. I usually pack an assortment of Lara Bars. Their primary component is dates, between those and Mountain House I have no constipation issues. ;)

06-Aug-18
“ 3 cups oats (just used good ole Quaker Oats), “

Is that cooked or straight from the box?

06-Aug-18
Huntcell, that would be straight from the box.

Sounds yummy!

06-Aug-18
Be aware, these are great but the coconut oil melts at very low temps. Like as soon as the heat of your hand/body comes in contact it starts melting. So be prepared for a mess unless you pop that sucka right into your mouf. These are a great source of healthy fat energy, for sure. Very popular (with less ingredients) with the KETO crowd as fat bombs.

06-Aug-18
Yep to Jordan. Fat bombs are pretty sand good.

06-Aug-18
Yes you are correct about the coconut oil melting. I figured if you take it from the cooler straight to your pack and don’t remove from pack until you want to eat it then no big deal. I left a few out last night to test this out and they are kinda soft but not sloppy by any means. Hell its the same thing with regular store bought granola bars. When it’s cold they’re hard when it’s warm they soften up. I think the oats help to absorb some of the oil as well and keep it contained instead of sloppy. Yes Huntcell, straight from the box.

06-Aug-18
If last weekend’s temperatures up above treeline are any indication, I’ll want something that doesn’t freeze as hard! Man, you could break a tooth on those “soft bars” up there with it below freezing...

06-Aug-18
I make a very similar bar (Fuzzy's meal bars") I've posted the recipie before with nutritional breakdown

06-Aug-18
These will soften up easily and quickly just from the warmth of your hand.....or the sun on your pack....YIKES.

I like to add some shredded unsweetened coconut to mine....and sunflower seeds....and peanuts......YUM

06-Aug-18
My wife makes an “energy bite” that sounds similar but doesn’t have coconut oil. Flax seed, peanut butter, honey, oats and maybe some other stuff. She rolls them into balls. We once went to my oldest daughters track meet and my youngest daughter was a toddler. The energy bits are mostly brown looking and after a few hours in the sun it looked like my daughter was eating $#|+ out of a bag, lol. We got some strange looks.

06-Aug-18
Owl, I was wondering about that. Thanks for the heads up.

06-Aug-18
Not sure about a good substitute for the coconuts oil. Maybe just raw unfilter honey instead.?

06-Aug-18
Too bad I hate coconuts and raisins.

06-Aug-18
Thanks for sharing. How long is the shelf life? Im gonna be in vacation 2 weeks for my hunting trip and would make them couple days before leaving home.

06-Aug-18
Thanks for sharing. How long is the shelf life? Im gonna be in vacation 2 weeks for my hunting trip and would make them couple days before leaving home.

06-Aug-18
Not sure on shelf life but I imagine kept in cooler they would definitely last that long. I plan on keeping mine frozen until I leave on August 30. All the ingredients used are shelf stable alone and your not “cooking “ anything per se. just combining ingredients. Ucsdryder, just omitt the raisins and coconut flakes or add what you want for your taste.

06-Aug-18
I remember Fuzzy's bars somewhat. i printed it off and gave it to my wife. dont remember if she made any or not. i wonder if she still has it? Lungshot, i'm going to do the same with yours.

06-Aug-18
Fuzzy if you don’t mind, post yours up as well.

06-Aug-18
btw....the coconut oil imparts very little coconut flavor.

06-Aug-18
Sounds OK, but don't much care for coconut sooooo, Snickers regular and Snickers almond.

06-Aug-18

dirtclod Az.'s Link
Sounds good I'll print this off and give it a try.

06-Aug-18
I make granola similar to your method. I usually bake it for 45min to cook the oats. How do they taste uncooked?

07-Aug-18
Uncooked oats taste like eating a Big Chief Tablet

07-Aug-18
Fuzzy Meal Bars: 1 cup each of: Honey (or molasses, maple syrup, agave syrup, your choice) Non fat buttermilk powder Flax Seed meal Uncooked steel cut oats (not oatmeal or rolled oats and NOT quick-cook) Shredded unsweetened coconut Finely Chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts , cashews, pine nuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds) Chopped dried fruit (dates, figs, prunes, raisins, currants, cranberries)

Heat the honey or syrup in a pot to anout 120 degrees (til it’s hot to the touch and very thin) Remove from heat With a wooden spoon Stir in the powdered milk, then the flax seed meal, then fold in the oats , then the shredded coconut

(It starts getting pretty thick about here, so it’s a bit of work), fold in the nuts, then the dried fruit. (The order you add things is important, because each ingredient thickens the mix, and you want the first three ingredients well mixed. The fruit and nuts should be distributed evenly but it’s not as critical.) Working quickly, lightly oil a 9” pyrex dish with olive oil, dump the warm mass in the dish, and press it out as flat as possible with th wooden spoon. Chill in the refrigerator a couple hours, then cut into 12 equal squares. I wrap mine in aluminum foil that I’ve oiled slightly with olive oil. They travel well in a pocket, backpack or lunchbox. They’ll soften a bit in heat but they don’t get runny or sticky.

The glycemic index is low, protein to carb ratio is high, each bar is about 315 calories. Calories from carb and from protein are about 50/50

21-Sep-18

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
UPDATE: I just wanted to give everyone who was interested an update on how these turned out and kept while on my hunt. I was only in the elk woods from Sept 1-5 in Wyoming and it was hot!! Super hot. At least 75/80 every day.

“These will soften up easily and quickly just from the warmth of your hand.....or the sun on your pack....YIKES. I like to add some shredded unsweetened coconut to mine....and sunflower seeds....and peanuts......YUM“

Even in the warm temps these held up very well. As long as they aren’t exposed to direct sunlight they stayed nice and cool. 100x better than any cliff/ granola bar from the store. The photo was 2pm in the afternoon at 80 degrees. Anyone else try these. How did you like them?

23-Sep-18
Looks like you found some griz poop ??

23-Sep-18
Hahaha! I thought the same. They definitely taste better than Grizz shit tho.

• Sitka Gear