Quinn @work 15-Aug-18
KHunter 15-Aug-18
Billyvanness 15-Aug-18
Treeline 15-Aug-18
drmike 20-Aug-18
MathewsMan 20-Aug-18
kscowboy 20-Aug-18
06-Aug-18
OK, so the suspense is killing me and Eric hasn't started this thread this year, so what is everyone seeing in S12 this year? Updates please!

06-Aug-18
Going to be a lot tougher glassing with all the smoke in the air.

06-Aug-18
My boy and I were just north of 12. Had a really good storm roll through Friday evening. Would guess that the sheep moved down hill a bit. Saturday started cold but warmed up pretty nice.

06-Aug-18
The S12 archers had a tough year last year. My friend got a great ram but worked his tail off to get him. That's the last thing those guys need in that unit, kadbow. You're right.

06-Aug-18
Those storms up high in unit 12 are beyond nasty!

Been spooked bad by lightning more than once up above 13K on those high ridges with no way to get down to cover!

And getting wet up there is asking for hypothermia...

06-Aug-18
I’ve been scouting for about a month now. Seeing sheep and sign in the usuall areas.

07-Aug-18
I spent 24 or 25 days (I can't remember which) bowhunting S12 last year. Extremely tough year to get on rams, but I had my opportunity on Day 19, arrow deflected on brush and sailed over a nice rams back shaving hair as it went. Epic but mentally draining hunt, especially to do it solo that whole time (after the opening weekend anyway).

Feel free to PM me with any questions current tag holders, I'm fairly certain I glassed 90% or more of that entire unit at one point or another.

07-Aug-18
The sheep gods owe you one Trevor...you certainly put your time and effort in. More so than most

09-Aug-18
Guys, its been a crazy year but you've been in my thoughts! Drove up Weston last weekend and felt like I was home.... Any news?

10-Aug-18
There are some great rams in 12 this year, mostly in small groups.

10-Aug-18
Ethics aside, using radios from one guy on the ground to another guy on the ground to direct to game is not illegal. Its a common misconception.

10-Aug-18
You got to be kidding me.

10-Aug-18
Quote:

"There are some great rams in 12 this year, mostly in small groups. I do have to say I have seen multiple hunters using radio and cell phones to stalk rams. Yes I am calling out Tightlines Outdoors, and the two guys who spiked out on weston peak with the dark colored doge ram truck parked on Weston pass a day ago and stalking rams in 12 mile as your spotter told you what to do! This is illegal in Colorado! As I see this happen next the CPW will be making visits to these hunters. There are multiple eyes out there don't think some one is not watching. It might be me or many of my friends having eyes on the unit. Seeing this happens,and having the hunter miss 3 long range shots (over 100yds) is totally unethical and makes me sick to know its all about the kill and ego than the hunt and ethics. You are not a bowhunter, you are a poacher while using illegal methods of hunting!"

Wow....and the source of these accusations is somewhat ironic.

Worse though, is that a perfectly good thread gets sent into the ditch.

11-Aug-18
Disappointed to hear but crap like this happens and everyone has to live with the choices they make, ethical, legal or whatever. Those animals don’t deserve to be launched at from 100 yds. That being said I still wanna hear how our hunters are doing so keep the reports coming in.

11-Aug-18
Headfirst, of all people, you should know the laws in CO. better then some others. Your accusation is completely false. Your one to be accusing others of illegal activity! How ironic.

11-Aug-18

Sandbrew's Link
I feel like this radio issue gets addressed every couple of years. See my link.

Where do you draw the line with 2 way communication? If I call a hunter and tell him where I saw a sheep does that count? If I text an S12 hunter to tell about this thread is that wrong? It’s an about personal ethics in my mind. Good luck to all the hunters. Radio users too.

Sandbrew

11-Aug-18
Take a look at item #7! http://www.pope-young.org/pdfs/fair_chase_affidavit.pdf

11-Aug-18
While guide drama has wrecked many a good thread, it is still possible to turn this one back around. I'm curious to hear any & all reports from actual S12 bow hunters. Season is a week old....let's hear it.

11-Aug-18
Headfirst, Probably not a good idea to call out someone by name on a public forum. Especially since you are the one in the wrong here. First of all, it is NOT illegal to use radios or any other form of communication in Colorado while legally hunting. Id be concerned your setting yourself up for legal action. This subject has been debated many times on here. It's legal. If you don't like it or if you don't want to use this method, then that's another topic for discussion.

11-Aug-18

11-Aug-18
I do stand corrected and I do apologize to Tightline Outdoors and the 2 guys off Weston. I did assume that the actual guiding a hunter into animals on a stalk was illegal and is a practice I have not participated in. I misspoke about the legality of the actions.

I had somethings rub me the wrong way as I seen action that were impossible for even the best instinctual hunter on the mountain to accomplish. It did put a burr under my saddle! Seams very unfair and I question if it would be under the category of fairchase. This is not a practice I have utilized or have been taught or would teach my kids.

I apologize for the ones who did not want to see this on this thread, I was not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to bring public awareness of actions I misinterpreted as illegal.

There is not any irony on me posting this message, maybe the ones who thought this to be ironic, might be mistaken me for a family member who ended up in some trouble and controversy.

Good luck and safe hunting to ALL hunter in 12 this year!

11-Aug-18
It rubs me totally the wrong way when I hear hunters using "un-ethical" methods to harvest game and/or believe it is ok to do this! This makes me wonder where our hunting heritage is going? Although it may be legal in Colo is it ethical?

According to P&Y and B&C this is poor ethics and IS NOT fair chase! Any big game animal harvested with the use of electronic communication devices (2-way radios, cell phones, etc.) to guide hunters to game is ineligible to be entered in either record book. Take a look at the other rules of fair chase and it may open your eyes to how un-ethical it is to use phones, radios, etc to aid in harvesting big game.

Maybe someone should start another post regarding this issue. It really upsets me when several of the posts above don't seem to think this is wrong since it isn't illegal in Colorado. What a shame! Sorry to taint this post but I really have to vent when I hear about such practices...and that other hunters think it is ok!

Take a look at III on the B&C fair chase statement and the P&Y statement in my post above: http://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_affidavit.asp?area=huntingEthics

11-Aug-18

Head First's Link
JIms, here it is the new thread about this subject, I hope this link works here. If anyone wants to comment about this please use this new topic!

12-Aug-18
Head First,

What are we missing here? You posted on August 10th complaining about other sheep hunters using radios to direct hunters into the sheep in S12. The Head First handle on August 10 was owned by Terry Sandmeier, a convicted sheep guide for he and his client illegally shooting a ram 70 yards off of I70 in Georgetown. You get called out by a few on bowsite for the hypocrisy of your post.

Later today, August 11, the owner of Head First's handle's name changes to Terry Sand after you stated that bowsiters are getting you confused with a family member who "ended up in some trouble and controversy"? Terry Sand then starts another post on ethics?

WTH is going on here? Are you Terry Sand or Terry Sandmeier? Are you not the sheep guide who was convicted for you and your client shooting a ram 70 yards off of I70. My apologies if not.

12-Aug-18
You are incorrect Quinn! That was my father! Same names except middle name is different. I realized some of you were making that connection so I tried to make the clarification on the name. The incident that happened 12 years ago, I had no involvement or contrubutation to. So the call out is incorrect and unwarranted. As for me making post on ethics, one who has personnaly seen the fallout of bad ethics, it's something I'm particularly sensitive to.

12-Aug-18
All, Since I started this thread I feel is my job to get it back on track. But I can't without addressing some of things that have been said. I have hunted with Terry Sandmeier Sr. and shared a camp with him. He truly regrets the situation that has been mentioned. I have also hunted and shared camp with Terry Sandmeier Jr, and trust me, there is no one more ethical and more devoted to sheep hunting than Terry Sandmeier Jr. I would refer anyone that further wants to debate the use of radios and long shots to Head First's thread. With that said, can be we get back on the subject of updates on 2018 sheep hunting in S12?

12-Aug-18
Head first you guiding I thought you sold the outfit

12-Aug-18
I heard Buffalo Peaks was closed down earlier this week because of fire? That can’t be helping. Best month of my life was spent in S12.

12-Aug-18
Mathewshootrphone, sold it, but still guiding, just not pushing paper!:)

12-Aug-18
Guys, I don't know Terry senior, but I'd hunt with Terry junior any time, any place. From my experience with him, the man is solid ethically and professionally. I' ve referred hunters to him and would do so again in a second based on the feedback I got from those I referred.

Shame this thread went here......

13-Aug-18
If Terry Jr was unethical/convicted, why would he be a sheep and goat orientation speaker put on by the Colorado Department of Wildlife?

All my encounters and conversations with him have been very positive and if my father drew the tag he applied for this year, Terry would’ve received a call.

13-Aug-18
I hate to derail the thread again, but I had to stand up for Terry as well. I've also hunted with him and he is super guy and great guide. He came highly recommended to me by a number of people who have hunted with him. I've recommended him and Matt numerous times to anyone who asks since hunting with them. I'd hunt with them again in a heartbeat if I get a chance.

15-Aug-18
Hopefully the S12 sheep hunters are having more success than what is not being posted here? Post up how your hunts are going. Routing for a few success photos here.

Head First, Terry Jr. I'm just now seeing this.

My post was simply asking for some clarification as to who the handle actually belongs to as you posted conflicting information and then suddenly changed your name associated with your handle, Head First. I found that strange considering your posts and subsequent follow up posts since you alluded to that of being a "family member"?

Had you simply said you were JR after the first Bowsiter member commented on the irony of your post you have now Deleted there would not of been any questions or assumptions from the "peanut gallery". Can you not agree?

As other have said, your ethics and reputation are well documented and I wouldn't think twice about securing your help if I or a friend was able to draw S12.

I hope to see your hunter and yourself posting a photo of a great S12 ram on here soon. Best of luck!

15-Aug-18
Some lucky person just snagged an S12 archery ram tag off leftover list. I guess they will be doing some rushed scouting/hunting!!

I could not type fast enough....

15-Aug-18
What a great snag for someone

15-Aug-18
That’s pretty cool! Wish it was me!

20-Aug-18
Its been two weeks since the season opened - any reports?

20-Aug-18
A local guy here from Meeker that played High School Baseball with my son drew one of the S12 Ram licenses, but I have not heard anything....

20-Aug-18
I know 4 guys hunting archery sheep in CO at the moment and not a one has shot a ram. It's a tough, tough year.

• Sitka Gear