GregE 10-Aug-18
jdee 10-Aug-18
jdee 10-Aug-18
hoytshooter1 10-Aug-18
ki-ke 10-Aug-18
BOHUNTER09 10-Aug-18
Cheesehead Mike 13-Aug-18
06-Aug-18
I posted this on the Wyoming site, but then figured that most come to the elk forum at this fantastically supercharged time of the year, when we can smell the stuff of September....

Never been! So stoked for my first elk hunt in Wyoming.....Can't take the wait... Anyway, we are starting in Denver and will be on the road by noon. We are hunting just south of Buffalo. We don't need to be to our destination until 2PM on day 2 of our drive. To maximize the scenic value and get the most out of a day and 1/2 to get there, what would be your route? Also, where would you overnight, eat, drink and otherwise make the most of the drive?

Looking forward to my visit! Please help me make the most of it!

Thanks

06-Aug-18
Denver to Buffalo? Thats less than a days drive.

If you take I25 you could stop in Chugwater and get some chili seasoning :)

06-Aug-18
Head North.........:-)

06-Aug-18
Steve - If you get to Buffalo early and the weather's clear, head West and drive up to Cloud Peak and maybe head over toward Ten Sleep. Great canyon to drive through... and you might want to wet a line.

06-Aug-18
If it was me.......I would drive up to Buffalo early, get a room and just drive around the Big Horns for a day.

06-Aug-18
The Bighorns? Eh ... there's so much more to Wyoming. Have you been to Jeffery City? Or maybe the rest stop in Shirley Basin? (LOL). I'm with the others ... get to Buffalo, get settled, rest, refuel, and -- if you have the energy -- drive around the Bighorns and find a spot to fish.

07-Aug-18
Its 5-6 hours so I would just haul up there, get a relaxing dinner and then explore the Bighorns in the morning before you have to be at your spot. With another day, going up to Cody and seeing the Center of the West museum and then cutting over the Bighorns would be worth the extra miles but you need some time there to drink it all in.

Avoid the Arbys in Douglas.

07-Aug-18
>>If you take I25 you could stop in Chugwater and get some chili seasoning :) <<<

Just don't count on buying gas in Chugwater. I still can't believe the station closed.

07-Aug-18
Great info! Most of it...... : ^ )

Rick, doing a bit of fishing sounds like a great idea. We will talk soon...Thanks again for the info. Looks like there is also a brewery in Ten Sleep. Bonus!

Glunt- Arby's always avoided at all costs, regardless of 20. Cant believe people actually eat that reconstituted dog food...

07-Aug-18
I believe they have a gas station in Chugwater now.

07-Aug-18

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
Pre-Brew Pub pic.

Can't attest to the Brew Pub. I'll be looking for your review and virtual tour.

07-Aug-18

07-Aug-18
Eat at the Wagon Box in Story.

07-Aug-18
Ten Sleep is a quaint little town, I recommend the elk burger at whatever pub that was we found!

If you're into history, head up to Little Big Horn in MT and check out the info on Custer's last stand.

07-Aug-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Ahhh yes... Tensleep Canyon...

07-Aug-18
Mike! Can I get there in a morning hike? That looks fantastic!!

07-Aug-18
You were addressing Mike, but Tensleep is about an hour and a half drive from Buffalo depending on whether you get tied up behind a motor home.

My buddy instructed me to watch my step in the canyon because of snakes.

07-Aug-18
Go to Jeremiah JOHNSON’s grave in Cody.

10-Aug-18
You've come far, Pilgrim

10-Aug-18

jdee's embedded Photo
Moose in the Big Horns
jdee's embedded Photo
Moose in the Big Horns
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
Go look for some Moose or Antelope

10-Aug-18

jdee's embedded Photo
Big Horn Mule Deer
jdee's embedded Photo
Big Horn Mule Deer
jdee's embedded Photo
Big Horn elk
jdee's embedded Photo
Big Horn elk
or some mule deer or elk

10-Aug-18
Lost Arra, there is a new gas station in Chug..... the old one didn't close, it burned down. New one is in the same place as the old one Ki-Ke......Stop in Cheyenne for lunch, go to the Luxery Dinner. only a few miles off I-25. Old train car converted into a dinner. good grub.. If you need some more info, hit me up with a PM and I will give you my phone number. I live in Cheyenne and I know this side of the state pretty well.

10-Aug-18
PM on its way Hoytshtr....

10-Aug-18
Spent a night in Chugwater. Failed to fill up with gas earlier and the Chugwater station was closed. We were among a pretty big group there. A long night in a Subaru Brat. Did get a p&y goat near Casper so it was worth it

13-Aug-18
PM sent ki-ke.

We didn't see any snakes in September...

• Sitka Gear