varmint101 11-Aug-18
Rcarter 11-Aug-18
darralld 11-Aug-18
Rcarter 12-Aug-18
darralld 12-Aug-18
07-Aug-18

darralld's embedded Photo
darralld's embedded Photo
Just thought I would share. When I was in Idaho a couple weeks ago I stopped & had a visit with my dad.

07-Aug-18
Beautiful stone! Very appropriate. RIP

07-Aug-18
legend....

07-Aug-18
Thanks for sharing. Your Dad will always be my favorite bow hunting writer. He painted such a great picture. His back page column was the ONLY reason I subscribed to Petersens Bowhunting for a long, long time.

07-Aug-18
Beautiful. A very fitting tribute!

07-Aug-18
That's pretty neat to see Darrall. Your dad was a definitely a legend in the bowhunting world. Looks like he was a helluva father and husband too.

07-Aug-18
always read your Dads articles in bow and arrow magazine as well as petersens. He was a legend

07-Aug-18
Thanks so much for sharing Darrall . I always looked forward to reading everything he wrote. He never knew it but he shaped my bowhunting over the last 48 years.

07-Aug-18
I also really liked your dad! I met him years ago thru a mutual friend named Dallas. I remember watching his trip to Africa when it was still on reel to reel player and I still remember the first year I was making my first journey north to elk hunt and your dad owned the shop in Tulsa, I was younger and so excited and it was still 2-3 weeks away before I was too leave. Your dad just smiled and said, slow down and just enjoy the trip to getting there. It took me a few years to fully understand and appreciate what he meant by that. The road you travel is far more enjoyable than the destination, sometimes. Your dad changed the lives of many of us, for the better!

07-Aug-18
Nice to see. Sad, what a writer your Dad was! Well, still is, his work is still there carrying each of us who seek it out wisdom. Grateful to him for that!

07-Aug-18
Very cool memorial brings back a lot of memories Lewis

07-Aug-18
Awesome

07-Aug-18
A great ambassador to bowhunting. You should be proud! RIP

07-Aug-18
That's awesome. I would often read his work and shake my head at how talented he was. Amazing writer and family man. May he RIP.

07-Aug-18
As we mature in life, one really appreciates those that came before us and added so much to the sport of archery. Good work for sure. my best, Paul

07-Aug-18
Jim was the featured speaker at a Calif. Bowmen Hunters annual convention about 15 years ago...I had the honor of introducing him and reading all his credits (Very Impressive)...after the event, I spotted Jim sitting alone at the Hotel bar and I joined him for about an hour...….I think he could remember every incident from any hunt he ever had......It was a priceless moment for this bowhunter..I will never forget it !!

07-Aug-18
Very fitting.

07-Aug-18
A perfect tribute!!!

Mark

07-Aug-18
Thanks for the memories....RIP.

07-Aug-18
I met Jim at the first ( and second ? ) National Bowhunter Rendezvous we hosted at Fort Rucker Alabama in 1975 / 76. Many of the well know bowhunters attended.

I appreciate the example he set for us.

07-Aug-18
Beautiful headstone, a great writer and family man! He is missed!

God Bless,

Scar

07-Aug-18
Always enjoyed all your Dads articles! Not sure if anyone can fill his boots as a writer.

07-Aug-18
Iconic man

07-Aug-18
A great tribute. Wish I had the pleasure of having met him. I do believe I have read everything he's written...at least twice. Thanks for sharing that photo.

07-Aug-18
Very Nice! And so appropriate! Thanks for sharing.

07-Aug-18
Darral, Thanks for sharing that pic with us. I loved to read your Dad's articles. I even told alot of my bow hunting buddies I was named after Jim!

07-Aug-18
Darral, Thanks for sharing that pic with us. I loved to read your Dad's articles. I even told alot of my bow hunting buddies I was named after Jim!

07-Aug-18
A very fitting memorial to a great writer. He seemed to be just an ordinary guy who loved to bowhunt, and more importantly, he made us feel as though we could do it too. I don't remember how old I was when I started reading his stories, but I remember it was about hunting Spanish goats off the coast of Cali. A lot of water has run under the bridge since then.

07-Aug-18
Terrific writer! Loved reading his stories. RIP

07-Aug-18
I used loved his stories and the Easton arrow adds.

08-Aug-18
It couldn’t have been said any better. Your dad was a good man. A man of honor in life and in bowhunting. It was a privilege to have known him.

08-Aug-18
I met Jim when he had his store in Tulsa. And saw him many times at Archery and outdoor events in Oklahoma and Texas. He was always friendly and ready to tell a bowhunting story. Very talented man. Thanks for posting the pic.

08-Aug-18
Your dad was a family friend

08-Aug-18
I wonder how many "days a field" he helped create for thousands of bowhunters and archers...I know he influenced me and others in my generation. Quite a gift to many he never personally met...

08-Aug-18
I always enjoyed his writing, actually looked forward to his next article. Very nice stone.

09-Aug-18
Great tribute, I grew up reading your dad's stories in the 60's and 70's. got to meet him at many of the P & Y Banquets, and he was also a speaker years ago at the Nebraska Bowhunters Banquet.

10-Aug-18
Your Dad was one of my favorite bowhunter writers and I thank your family with sharing him with the rest of us. Beautiful headstone and I bet it's in a beautiful spot with a view.

10-Aug-18
I went to his house to have my first whitetail with a bow scored for Pope and Young entry when Iwas 20 or so. I enjoyed visiting with him and marveling at all the animals he had on display.

11-Aug-18
What a great marker for a great man!

11-Aug-18
Beautiful headstone! Thanks for sharing.

11-Aug-18
Just curious if anyone knows - where in Idaho did Mr. Dougherty live?

11-Aug-18
We didn’t live in Idaho. It was just a special place where we spent a lot of time in the summer. Grandparents & many family members had summer homes there. Many of them purchased plots at the cemetery in Preston, Idaho. We live in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area.

12-Aug-18
Thank you for that reply. I travel through Preston many times a year on school business—as I live in Blackfoot. Preston is a great place; especially if it is ones final place. Glad you and your family might call Idaho a “second home” so to speak.

12-Aug-18
If you ever go up Cub River Canyon my brother & his wife own The Deer Cliff Inn. That’s my stomping grounds when I’m there.

• Sitka Gear