dirtclod Az. 07-Aug-18
TEmbry 08-Aug-18
WV Mountaineer 08-Aug-18
elkstabber 08-Aug-18
splitlimb13 08-Aug-18
toomanytoyz 08-Aug-18
12yards 08-Aug-18
07-Aug-18
I know this subject has been beat to death. But I'm going on an elk hunt where we will be hiking into an area, camping, and hunting but then probably coming out every couple days. I need to bring in a small tent, sleeping bag, mat and some food/other supplies for a couple days. Do I need to get a frame pack? Or would a pack like a Tenzing 2220 work for me? I don't want to spend a pile of money because I don't elk hunt a lot and I'm putting kids through college. LOL.

07-Aug-18
In my opinion I would get a pack that would allow you to haul out at least one load of meat. That would save a tremendous amount of time and energy. When it comes to savings I don’t go cheap on a pack. You can find great deals on used packs if necessary

07-Aug-18
Strongly suggest you not skimp on a pack. I have a 3900 cu.in. size and it is just right for a couple day hunt with meat packing capabilities. I have a similar Tenzig for deer hunting but wouldn't use it for elk unless you have horses or an outfitter or are hauling your gear in separately and willing to come get something else for hauling meat (or making lots of trips).

07-Aug-18
Depending on the size of your sleep system it could work. I would think you would need a bag over 3000 cubic inches. Only advice I’d have is take all your stuff and see if it fits. I’m guessing it won’t but as long as it does get after it.

The thing with a frame pack is it gives you adequate load lifting abilities for loads over 30lbs. If yours doesn’t work Kifaru is hard to beat but you can have a Kuiu icon pro on eBay or Rokslide for around $300. If you can find it in your budget you’ll thank yourself for getting a frame pack.

07-Aug-18
In my opinion, no, the Tenzing 2220 won't work. I had one for day hunts, got rid of it. I think you will need something around the 3500 cu in range for a 2-3 day hunt, plus be able to pack out a load of meat. The only way to know is to get all your gear and see if it will fit in/on the pack. If it does, put it on and hike up and down some hills for an hour and see how you/it feels.

07-Aug-18
(I had to edit)

How tall are you 12 yards?

Something to consider is buying new right now might not allow you to have the pack by hunt time.

07-Aug-18

splitlimb13's Link
If you can swing it! Best on the market IMO

07-Aug-18
Scoot - Exotic?! This is a family friendly site!

(But please PM me more info) :)

07-Aug-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Eberlestock back pack. Main compartment 6000 ci, additional carry top, 1400ci
Eberlestock back pack. Main compartment 6000 ci, additional carry top, 1400ci
Pictured is my Eberstock Big Top Pack, 4-5000cu, expands to 7000 cu inch Cost, $350

07-Aug-18
I have a rei xt 85 for sale that should fit that description real nice.. it was my first pack but have since upgraded

Either way good luck on your trip man and have fun!!!

07-Aug-18
I consider Mystery Ranch and Kifaru to be the top of line in packs. Other than that it's all about how you hunt and what you have learned that you need.

07-Aug-18
12 yards. I have a kifaru T1 that I won’t be using this fall. If you want to use it your more then welcome to.

Edit It has 26” stays and a medium belt.

07-Aug-18
Guys I am hunting with have packs to haul meat. So I don't need that capability. I did, however, find an Alps pack frame for sale in the AT classifieds. He also had a day pack to go with it. I could haul all my stuff to the campsite on that pack frame and then hunt from there with the daypack. Probably could haul meat with the frame if I had to also.

This is the ad. https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5489005 Hope that is legal to do. Does this look like it would work? The fanny can be made into a full day pack as well.

07-Aug-18
I have the outdoor z commander x frame and pack. Luv it. This is the older frame hauler with no pack. You can pick them up new for cheap. Not sure what you do for water with that fanny pack.

Take a look at the Alps website at the Hybrid pack and frame..........sweet setup and alot less than the other packs mentioned here. Just not as hyped as many of them but a very high quality pack with tons of awesome features.

07-Aug-18
Thanks Michael! Very generous offer. Would like to start stockpiling some gear for future hunts too so will probably buy something. Sounds like I'm better off investing in something a little better than what I initially had in mind. Will shop for some used higher end stuff.

07-Aug-18
WV, I'm 6' tall.

07-Aug-18
These bigger packs you guys have. Are you actually hunting with them on your back all day? Or is this what you use to get you to base camp and then you hunt with a smaller pack?

07-Aug-18
I hunt with mine. It’s a Kifaru reckoning I could pack 10 days out of it but it compresses well. When I’m hunting I usually carry my jet boil, a few meals, water, kill kit, rain gear and a few other odds and ends. With the pack it probably weighs 18-20 lbs. it’s not much but enough to know it when your wearing an internal frame pack with poor load lifting abilities. After a few days running around in the mountains that tenzing would be killing your shoulders/ neck.

07-Aug-18
I have a pack bought in the 70's.Huge pack.Large frame.will pack out a Sasquach!Go cheap...Pack in nothing pack ,Meat out...Pack it in pack it out!...Good Luck.

08-Aug-18
I've never subscribed to the multiple pack mentality. I carry one pack, capable of cinching down dang near flat, and expanding out to carry 150+ lbs if need be (more than I want to carry ever). I don't see the benefit of carrying a small pack as I always hunt with the mentality that something big is hitting the dirt that day.

08-Aug-18
PM sent 12 yards.

08-Aug-18
You said your hunting buddies will have packs for packing out meat so this means that you're only carrying your camp. I've found if you carry over 20# you will need a good pack with a waist belt that takes the load off of your shoulders.

Without a doubt the best cheap pack for an elk hunter is a used USMC surplus ILBE pack with belt (without the Assault pack). It is 4,500 cu in or so and it can handle anything. Advantages: it is about $150 on ebay and you could use it for a hunting trip and then sell it back on ebay after your trip. You would probably only lose the cost of shipping. This is by far your cheapest option. Disadvantages: it is heavy at about 8lbs because there is so much doubled up material. If you decide to keep the pack you could take a pair of scissors to it and trim off over a pound of extra material.

Since this is your first time hunting elk you will most likely bring more than you need and will want a full sized pack. In future trips you'll trim down your gear. Welcome to the addiction!

08-Aug-18
I hunt with mine. It closes up nice and tight

08-Aug-18
I just got a Kuiu Ultra 6000 with the 2016 frame and suspension from there outlet. Bag was $112 frame/susp $210. Total less than $325. It came assembled and with the new buckles. Compresses very good and id very lite, can be used as a day pack too.

08-Aug-18
Thanks for all your input and offers guys. It is all much appreciated. I will be contacting some of you for sure.

• Sitka Gear