ElkNut1 08-Aug-18
elkmtngear 08-Aug-18
ElkNut1 08-Aug-18
GregE 08-Aug-18
ElkNut1 08-Aug-18
goelk 08-Aug-18
ElkNut1 09-Aug-18
07-Aug-18
With elk season coming on fast & so many newer hunters out there it just seems right to share a few tips that could make a difference this year in ones elk hunt! Here's the first one!

When in the elkwoods & you hear two bulls bugling each other where they are very close to one another yet they are on the move in dark timber & no way to catch up, try cow calling loud enough for them to hear with 3-4 mews. If at anytime one stops bugling there's a great chance you've got his interest & he's coming to check you out. In most cases it's the satellite coming & the other bull continues up the mountain still bugling until out of earshot. No need to bugle here at all, this bull is more interested in the cow he heard. Cow call with 2-3 mews every minute, make them softer with each passing minute as he should be getting closer! Keep a sharp eye out & have a tight setup, he will most likely come in silent, if he bugles it's a bonus!

It's common for him to show up from minutes to 20 minutes, be patient & confident he's coming! The key thing to notice is one of the bulls stopped bugling! Don't leave after 5-10 minutes thinking he's not coming! Stay focused it's no time to root through your pack making noise & movement or you can be detected by the silent oncoming bull & you'll never know he was even there!.

ElkNut/Paul

07-Aug-18
Paul I just listened to your podcast on rich outdoors. Fantastic!

07-Aug-18
Paul, great tip!! I guess there's a reason your called the Elknut!

07-Aug-18
Do not ignore the areas right around your basecamp, and areas where you can actually hear vehicles on the road. we have been vary successful killing bulls within 1/4 mile of roads, and skid trails, I know this goes against most elk hunters logic. I killed a 7x6 two years ago 1/4 mile off major dirt road, Last year I killed a beautiful 5x5 right close to camp. our partner shot a bull 100 yds behind camp at 12: 30 in the afternoon. big bulls on camera 300 yards behind camp at noon time. In my opinion many elk hunters miss wonderful opportunities right in front of them. We visited friends down by a major highway in a campground and we could not believe the bugleing we heard. I wont even mention our friends across the road that have killed many bulls within 1/4 mile of camp. this area is in eastern Oregon with lots of hunters and atvs & trucks. Just my opinion on what works in this area. good luck to all you elk hunters.

07-Aug-18
Keep them coming guys. This could become an epic thread. Some of us are taking notes. Thank you for the tips.

07-Aug-18
Elknut, lots of talk about calf calls working well. Are these short, high pitched cow calls. Example would be great. Plan to hunt CO early and ID in the middle of the season.

07-Aug-18
Thanks guys, thanks for checking out the Podcasts too!

Marty, I hear ya bud, great examples there, It just shows you there's plenty of huntable elk less than a mile from roads. Good stuff!

Yes, we'll keep it coming!

ElkNut/Paul

07-Aug-18
Have more bottles of windchecker than you think you could possibly use. Come back from the hunt without any left.

07-Aug-18
If I know Paul, trust me, there's more to come! Stay tuned!

07-Aug-18
Excellent advice, Paul!

Now, if that her bull is the target, you got a bit of leg work ahead of you;)

07-Aug-18
Skelly, I'll get real calves making this sound, stay tuned!

Treeline, stay patient like on an elk hunt, they're coming too! Ha Ha!

ElkNut/Paul

07-Aug-18
Bingo - bud gets the prize!

"Have more bottles of windchecker than you think you could possibly use. Come back from the hunt without any left".

07-Aug-18
Go after them, they probably ain't coming to you. Get within 100 yards before even thinking about calling playbooks. If you mess up go after the next one.

07-Aug-18

ElkNut1 's Link
Skelly, try this link here! I believe it's the 3rd series of cow/calf sounds you hear. You'll know by the more rapid mews given! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
Thermals, Thermals, and more Thermals. Prob the biggest mistake most dont take into consideration. Think Thermals and wind in your favor and guarantee odds of harvesting go way up.

08-Aug-18
Agreed, wind direction is important, it should be a given no matter the game animal we are hunting. These Tips are about Strategy, no matter how good a method may be you do not want to be detected by sight or smell. Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
elk yinzer, very true about taking the action to a bull when necessary. Problem that can arise is doing this to every bull, you will push more away than you actually kill. On OTC hunts I don't like squandering opportunities, I want to have a shot opportunity on all of them, by tailoring a strategy for a bulls wants this ups my odds. A good example is in the Tip above, this bull came to us, they do happen! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
If I hear two bulls going at it, I'm usually running to try to get between them, within 80 to 100 yards (approaching with the best possible wind).

It's a great place to be, and with selective cow calling, usually ends up with an encounter! Whether or not I can seal the deal at that point is another story...

08-Aug-18
Jeff, exactly, when terrain allows & the bulls allow you to get position it's a great plan! This is why I wrote that they were moving fast & the country was steep, there was no catching up in the downfall choked mountain side.

It's a Tip for those who may be in a similar situation & not much you can do with it, might as well at least give the Satellite what he was looking for! Thanks bud!

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
Calf link is not working Paul

HOpe to use them to call in a cow- Bandaid is telling me to pass on the stinky WY bull and bring home a freezer cow. :) Greg

"This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed "

08-Aug-18
Ha Ha! I don't think I could do that when I was saving points to hunt there! Go for it though, I'll be pulling for you bud!

p.s. go straight to setups near bedding & use a Creative Cow Calling method, you'll do just fine!

The Link is working fine for me? Not sure about your PC?

ElkNut/Paul

08-Aug-18
Not working for me neither. Its saying no soubd found

09-Aug-18
Hmm? Rick, I just tried it again by clicking on the Link & it worked great, not sure now if it's a PC thing or what? Anyone who is having issues hearing it please send me your email via PM & I'll send it to you that way, it's no problem, thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear