Ranger 28-Aug-18
tobinsghost 08-Sep-18
Pope125 09-Sep-18
08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Crocodile 10' 8''
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Crocodile 10' 8''
Just got back from my Crocodile bow hunt in South Africa, Northwest Province. Amazing experience and hunt with Shaun Keeny Safaris. Spot and stalk hunt for the Croc.

08-Aug-18
Test

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Gives the perspective of just how big these things are. Amazing.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
They watered him down to show his tiger striping. Feint but there. Colors were awesome on him.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
They watered him down to show his tiger striping. Feint but there. Colors were awesome on him.
Check out the tiger striping colors on him. When they are dry they fade out but when wet they show up.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
These things are huge.

08-Aug-18
Wow very cool, that head is huge!

08-Aug-18
The story: So had been researching this for about 3 years. Talked to several different Outfitters and finally selected Shaun Keeny Safaris. Many of the hunts for Crocodiles are on river systems so the odds of recovering your Croc go way down with a bow. This hunt was done on a series of damns (ponds) where the big Crocs migrate from a larger nearby freshwater lake and tributary. Originally going to be from a hide over a bait and that there typically is one large Croc who has taken over the damn. When I got there they said since it is winter they don't eat as much so a bait is not effective and it would be spot and stalk. And the damn (pond) we were going to hunt had 5 Crocs on it all in the 10 to 12 foot size. I had done a lot of research on whether to use a regular arrow system going for double lung or use a bow fishing 'alligator' arrow system with line and buoy. After talking to a predominant bow fishing company they convinced me the bow fishing system with 600 lb gator cord, break-away head and 1798 grain bowfishing 'big game' arrow was the way to go. I even bought a new bowcase (Tuffpak's are awesome) so I could take three bows, my bowfishing rig, my regular bow and backup bow. So we started the stalk with Lions vocalizing in the bush near the damn. There were two Crocs on a small island in the middle of the damn sunning. One was vertical and one was parallel (broadside) to me. I had to crawl on my hands and knees up over, across and down the damn inside the bowl of the pond to get to 20 yards exactly as the big bowfishing arrow had a huge gaps from 15 to 20 yards (remember this was going to be from a hide/blind, not spot and stalk). Managed to get there without spooking them as we took our time as they sunned. Made the 20 yard shot and couldn't have gone over and put an 'X' on the side of the Croc for a double lung hit, any better, confirmed by two PHs. But to my amazement, after the Croc I shot just layed there and then began to move the arrow and head were laying on the ground. The armored side of the Croc had prevented the head from penetrating, maybe the chisel tip went in but the dull grappling prongs were too much bluntness to get through. It even splintered the end of the bowfishing arrow it hit so hard. It just bounced off. I'm sure for Alligator these were great arrows but I got led wrong with the research the 'bow fishing' company gave me. I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them before the hunt and they assured me this was the way to go for Croc at the poundage and speed I was shooting. I was shooting a compound with 70lbs which pushed a 420 grain arrow around 296 fps and they said that would be plenty. Needless to say, we were all stunned. All that planning and prep and then to make a perfect shot and have the broadhead/arrow fail and bounce off. So we backed out of there and went back to the lodge. The PH said I hadn't hurt the Croc so I could still go after any of the 5 Crocs, besides it would have been impossible to tell which one I had 'poked' with the bow fishing arrow. They called a local South African bow shop owner who hunted crocs and he and I talked about my regular bow set up. 70lbs PSE DNA with 408 grain arrows tipped with good old Thunderhead 100s, replaceable tri-blade which pushed that at around 307 fps and around 80 kinetic energy. He said that should do the trick for a broadside shot. So after about 2 hours we went back. Three of the crocs were out sunning. Tried a stalk on one Croc who immediately went into the water as we had lost the eliminate of surprise. We backed off and went a little further down just about where that one had been to try for a Croc across on the far side. Again, hands and knees and got to 30 yards for a quartered away nearly broadside shot. As I was about to shoot, the prior Croc surfaced and swam by us at about 13 yards (exciting, scary and crazy all at the same time). Took the shot and hit him good, maybe a hair back but angled in about right, arrow went nearly to the fletching. Then it was like sub chasing. They can stay down 20 to 30 minutes. We had to let him get out and confirm it was him with the arrow fletching. Managed to get follow up shots (2) in the left lung broadside but the tri-blade system was taking a little too much energy off punching through the armored scales so I could only get about half way through (or one lung). I had bought some 2 blade Mausi broadheads that were I think around 200 grains but would have had to get another stiffer arrow so didn't go that route so those were at home in the states. Finally got a shot on the right side lung and finished him. Wished it had been one shot and it should have been as far as placement is concerned but the arrow systems weren't enough for these Crocs. They are tough. I'm going to nickname him 'Tank'. After having done this I would say a good 200 grain 2 blade offset single bevel broadhead on a 300 to 400 grain arrow, putting you at 500 to 600 grains with a 70lb bow would do the trick just fine for double lung shot broadside through the side. Key being two blade, single bevel offset. I would also say any three blade system would not work as pushing that third blade through that scaled shield on thier sides and definitely their backs just bleeds off too much energy. I'm sharing this detail in case anyone thinking of going after Crocs is like going after Alligators or you may get the incorrect information I got from the leading 'bow fishing' company. Two very different animals and the Crocs are definitely much tougher and more armored than our American Alligators so be aware and prepared for that. Hope this helps someone down the line. Also, I called the 'bow fishing' company and give them feedback and asked they never recommend that arrow system to a bowhunter going after Crocodile because it is a total fail. Hopefully, they will listen. All in all it was an amazing hunt and adventure. Was an experience of a lifetime.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Initial score SCI puts him #4 with bow and #16 overall pending master scorers remeasure. A big boy!
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Initial score SCI puts him #4 with bow and #16 overall pending master scorers remeasure. A big boy!
1Arrow's embedded Photo
The newly christened Cowboy hide. Previously was the 'First' or '#1' hide but renamed it Cowboy after my alma mater Oklahoma State Cowboys. Go Pokes! Neat having a little piece of Africa named.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
The newly christened Cowboy hide. Previously was the 'First' or '#1' hide but renamed it Cowboy after my alma mater Oklahoma State Cowboys. Go Pokes! Neat having a little piece of Africa named.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Team Ruger. L-R Peter, Armond, George, Dehan and Ruger. Ruger sat in the hides with us. Cool dog.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Team Ruger. L-R Peter, Armond, George, Dehan and Ruger. Ruger sat in the hides with us. Cool dog.
After the Croc hunt I got to spend some time in the Kalahari savannah near the Botswana border, still in the Northwest Province of South Africa but way out west. Had some amazing hunting there in new concrete and steel, sand floor pit hides as well as spot and stalk. This is the Roan I took. 30 inches and big bases. His coat is in perfect shape.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Golden Wildebeest in the Kalahari of South Africa.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Golden Wildebeest in the Kalahari of South Africa.
Golden Wildebeest was on the top of my list. Had never had an opportunity at these. They are amazing color and have a kind of tiger striping with gold and darker gold stripes on their sides.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
His SCI score puts him #4 with Bow also. Quality animals in the Kalahari with Shaun Keeny.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
His SCI score puts him #4 with Bow also. Quality animals in the Kalahari with Shaun Keeny.
Spot and stalk Lechwe. He is long and wide. These rarely come to waterholes so using hides is not much of a chance.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Goes #12 with a Bow in SCI. Big tom.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Goes #12 with a Bow in SCI. Big tom.
Caracal was beautiful. Was fortunate to get an opportunity.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Finished up the trip with a Burchell's Zebra.

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nice 42 inch Sable. He spread too with 'Harley handlebar' like tips. He's still there.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nice 42 inch Sable. He spread too with 'Harley handlebar' like tips. He's still there.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Had some nice Gemsbok come in several times. Still one of my favorites. Had to have Dehan take my arrows away from me. :-)
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Had some nice Gemsbok come in several times. Still one of my favorites. Had to have Dehan take my arrows away from me. :-)
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nothing like an African sunset.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nothing like an African sunset.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nyala Bulls
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Nyala Bulls
Some photos from the hide.

08-Aug-18
Very kool for you!

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

08-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
4 species - Nyala Bulls, Kudu, Eland and Springbok. Was a great day in the hide. No arrows flung but had a ball. Nyala came to the hide up wind and ate Camel Thorn tree pods (think Mesquite) at 3 yds
1Arrow's embedded Photo
4 species - Nyala Bulls, Kudu, Eland and Springbok. Was a great day in the hide. No arrows flung but had a ball. Nyala came to the hide up wind and ate Camel Thorn tree pods (think Mesquite) at 3 yds
1Arrow's embedded Photo
After drinking this herd of young Sable bulls started to leave. As they got near the grass they just plopped down and bedded at 70 yards. Super Cool
1Arrow's embedded Photo
After drinking this herd of young Sable bulls started to leave. As they got near the grass they just plopped down and bedded at 70 yards. Super Cool
1Arrow's embedded Photo
This Horned Barn Owl (I guess they are on the African and North American continents) flew up onto our hide, then flew over to this post where I was able to get a pic
1Arrow's embedded Photo
This Horned Barn Owl (I guess they are on the African and North American continents) flew up onto our hide, then flew over to this post where I was able to get a pic

08-Aug-18
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Thanks for sharing and the pics!

08-Aug-18
One cool adventure. Congrats on some very nice trophies.

08-Aug-18
Wow, congrats on a very cool trip!

08-Aug-18
Some nice trophies!

08-Aug-18
Great write up. Thanks for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS!

08-Aug-18
What a great hunt, congrats!

08-Aug-18
Wow that was a fun read. Congrats.

08-Aug-18
Nice pictures and animals.

That's crazy how an arrow that heavy still wouldn't push through. It's good to know though.

08-Aug-18
Nice trophy and appreciate you sharing it with us!

08-Aug-18
Sweet trophy's, congrats.

08-Aug-18
That caracal is awesome...will make a cool mount!

08-Aug-18
What an adventure!! Good work. Dinosaur hunting for real.

08-Aug-18
Congratulations on a great trip! Love the pics!

08-Aug-18
Awesome trip looks like a great time. That thumb of yours has got to be getting tired.

08-Aug-18
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing.

08-Aug-18
Sweet hunt. Jealous as hell... cool fricken coloring..

10-Aug-18
Some great trophies on your safari. Specifically that Roan!! Congrats.

11-Aug-18
You say it was originally planned as a bait huntî but when you got there since it was winter that strategy wouldn’t work as had been planned

did the guide not know what time you were coming when he originally set the strategy

Great in hunt adjustment though and quite the story very well done

11-Aug-18
Good for you congrats Lewis

12-Aug-18
Bou'bound - I wondered the same thing. The Outfitter was using another place for the Crocodile hunt and their PH ran that part of it. He was the one that made the call for Spot and Stalk. It was amazing though. Glad you liked the write up.

Alll, thanks for the well wishes. If anyone is wanting to go Bowhunt Crocs let me know. Be glad to share what I learned and chat with you about it. I can say Shaun Keeny's Safaris did a great job. Cheers Everyone!

12-Aug-18
Very nice animals 1 ! Great pics and write up too.

17-Aug-18
I do a number of hunting shows with a good friend from South Africa, Reon get's asked all the time "What is the difference between an alligator and a croc?" His reply, " you know how you see those TV shows where a guy slaps an alligator in the nose? (They say yes) he says, yeah that never happens with a croc, no one slaps them on the snout!"

17-Aug-18
I do a number of hunting shows with a good friend from South Africa, Reon get's asked all the time "What is the difference between an alligator and a croc?" His reply, " you know how you see those TV shows where a guy slaps an alligator in the nose? (They say yes) he says, yeah that never happens with a croc, no one slaps them on the snout!"

17-Aug-18
One question. Did you try the zebra meat I heard it is excellent

17-Aug-18
Awesome adventure, beautiful trophies, thanks for sharing. Forrest

17-Aug-18
I chose zebra steak when I was last in Windhoek at Joe's Beerhouse. Of course the beer, and the butter on top of it didn't hurt. It was very good and I would eat it again. It was interestingly different than beef or game meat such as kudu, gemsbok, or eland as it was noticeably more "muscular and stranded".

18-Aug-18
Finally Home 24 - I didn't get to have any of my Zebra on this trip as we harvested her the last day. I've had it in the past and it's one of my favorites. The meat is a different texture. I really like it. Sling Shot - you are definitely right. A Croc and an Alligator are two completely different animals. I've bow hunted both Alligators in the US and now with this Croc in South Africa and I would compare them like a Sherman tank versus an A1 Abrams tank.

24-Aug-18
My son Tanner had a good time getting to know you and yes he recognizes the pictures. He had fun with your hunt. We can't wait to head back there and he can't wait to get back with Shaun.

25-Aug-18
Awesome trip! Bowhunting a Croc would be my number 1 endeavor in SA. Great job!

26-Aug-18

1Arrow's embedded Photo
Tanner took this picture which shows the armoring isn't just on the back but goes down the sides all the way to the belly which you can't see. Amazing how those scales cover them.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Tanner took this picture which shows the armoring isn't just on the back but goes down the sides all the way to the belly which you can't see. Amazing how those scales cover them.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here Tanner took a shot of the tail which shows how the plating stops with a flat angle and goes vertical. The Croc was all armor
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here Tanner took a shot of the tail which shows how the plating stops with a flat angle and goes vertical. The Croc was all armor
1Arrow's embedded Photo
I liked the black and white coloring he did on this picture. Really shows how tough and aged their skin and teeth are. These things are really like dinosaurs.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
I liked the black and white coloring he did on this picture. Really shows how tough and aged their skin and teeth are. These things are really like dinosaurs.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here is some filtering he did on a close up of the Roan which I thought makes a great screen saver. Tanner has a real eye for photography.
1Arrow's embedded Photo
Here is some filtering he did on a close up of the Roan which I thought makes a great screen saver. Tanner has a real eye for photography.
Ranger, Tanner is a fine young man. It was a pleasure to get to meet him. He took some great pictures on the safari. I added a couple here. He has a great eye for pictures.

28-Aug-18
Thank you for the nice words and yes his pictures. He has quite the eye. His antelope buck from Utah last year is in the latest Eastman Hunting Journal this month. He is quite the hunter also. Love the pics he took of your croc!!!

08-Sep-18
Thumbs up to all you guys, especially Tanner. In Seattle now starting the journey over the pond. Just getting revved up!

09-Sep-18
Congrats !! Some great pics , and a ton of memories .

• Sitka Gear